No Increase to Aus Pension

8 minutes ago, Seeall said:

I heard they get a reduced rate part after some weeks or so..

6 weeks after leaving Australia, the pensioner loses the energy and phone supplements. Which is fair enough, because those services are not being used outside Australia. About $60 per fortnight, I can live with it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look on the bright side. You're in Thailand and not Melbourne.

OP, your pension is not nothing, and you will receive that. It's the $25 a fortnight that your bitching about, well why should you get it, you are not in the country, , you are not spending anything i

The pension did not increase because inflation was actually negative in Aust. Pension increases are linked to CPI increases - but payments were held not reduced (of course). There is no $25

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Seeall said:

I heard they get a reduced rate part after some weeks or so..

...after 6 weeks absence you loose the 'supplements' ..rent assistance etc.. about $50 a fortnight.. you still get basic pension of approx $885 a fortnight.. I'm talking about aged pension.. disability pension is a completely different thing..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

"The only beef I have with Centrelink's rules is if I marry my Thai GF, I'd lose about 10,000 baht by being cut back to a couple's pension. Which is complete BS, because she is not an Australian citizen, and hence has no entitlement to any pension."

Not entirely correct. I know an aussie who is married to a Thai lady, he has made centrelink aware of his marriage, and they weren't interested as they were not living in Australia. He still receives the single rate for his pension, BUT he is always wary that one day his pension may be reduced and they ask him to repay what they would consider to be an overpayment.

So he's waiting for the other shoe to drop. No thanks, I don't want to put myself in that position.

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

they would have had to have been resident in OZ at predetermined dates receive those payments. So I don't believe your statement is accurate at all.

Depends on how long you have been out of Australia.. If you are still considered a resident you would probably get both payments.  I was in Oz at the beginning of the year and had a concession card on my return.. I left in March (thank goodness.. and got back to Thailand before lock down).. I got the 1st payment but missed the second because my concession card had expired.. I've been out of the country for 10 years so not considered a resident.. but I get the card when I return and it lasts 6 weeks after I leave again..

On 9/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, AussieBob18 said:

I hope to - but right now I am here in Aus. 

People here on the dole have been getting more money than those on the pension.

Basically the dole was doubled and pensioners got a once-off $750 payment.

Pensioners  Living In Aus Got the $750 Twice According to a Friend in Aus .

Us Living in Los Got 0

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

Not all, I know several who didn't, myself included, which didn't bother me, but some were right royally P---ed off.

If you get superannuation you never got those payments. Must be only if you are on the AUS pension. 

I see this has been answered. 

🙂

Edited by carlyai
11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I daresay the taxes I paid during my working life were more than yours, and you may feel grateful to get the OAP later on. If you are self-funded, good for you. Although there's a few tax rorts such as negative gearing, CGT discount, and the low taxes on superannuation working in your favor.

I am very pleased I got out of Melbourne and into Thailand about two weeks before the shutters came down. I'd be climbing the walls by now back there. No intention of going back for the next 2-3 years, or until there are no excess hoops to jump through at both countries' borders.

The pension is what it is. Not as generous as some other countries, but not the stingiest either. Try living on a Thai OAP, 600 baht/month.

The only beef I have with Centrelink's rules is if I marry my Thai GF, I'd lose about 10,000 baht by being cut back to a couple's pension. Which is complete BS, because she is not an Australian citizen, and hence has no entitlement to any pension.

There are a lot of side benefits to consider which are very good "add ons" to the pension.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Honing should not be taken so far one cuts oneself with it. The uncharitable might view your OP as a troll post.

Don't be shy, let us know your nationality. There's a clue in your escutcheon, although that may be a false flag.

From the inferior complex i detect, i think that he could be british...........with a small b

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Irish? We're just a bit more criminal? Jesus Joseph and Mary, have you watched Ray Donovan? Or Gangs of New York?

The problem, apart from me being a bit slow, is that your OP was ambiguous. You said you had never even been there, which could have meant Thailand. That's the way I read it.

Australians and the Irish have a certain affinity, both being rebels against authority. Some of your guys do make good footballers, once we have taught them how to handle a ball that isn't round.

That certainly sounds Irish. They handle their ball and pass it from hand to hand ,but call it "Football"   lolololol

3 hours ago, JWRC said:

Not all, I know several who didn't, myself included, which didn't bother me, but some were right royally P---ed off.

I arrived back in OZ approx 2 weeks after the first payment and got the $750 as back payment and then the 2nd.

10 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

This has probably been said a thousand times on this site but you need to be careful that in taking steps to be eligible for the pension  you are not then  deemed to be a resident for the ATO. You've probably looked into that already.

Not sure I follow the above as you need to be deemed a resident to qualify for the pension, where the ATO comes into this I have no idea, as far as I know there is no tax payable on the pension.

The above said, assets are deemed and tax is paid accordingly, but if I keep it under the threshold, should be all and good until I decide to exit and come back to Thailand, that said, I do also know that there is a new ruling that I have heard on the grapevine, i.e. that you have to be in Australia 2 years prior to you being able to qualify if you are a non resident, then once approved, you can have it paid while you are overseas, but you have to let them know you are going abroad for an extended holiday so to speak.

No, that's not the new ruling, the new ruling is if you return after qualifying age, wait the two years and then go, and then return, and then go again, they cut you off, suffice to say, once I exit after receiving the OAP, that's it, no ins and outs for me, i.e. unless I return to stay and that won't make a difference because I will receive it. 

• Like 1