Will the future be very bad or fabulous?

bert bloggs

On 9/9/2020 at 6:38 PM, Brunolem said:

The near future, that is the 2020s decade, is going to be very bad.

All the chickens are coming home to roost, and there's gonna be hell to pay.

Decades spent living the high life with mountains of money borrowed from the future, while destroying and poisoning the planet, are coming to an end.

The party is over and the hangover is going to be proportionate.

As if this was not enough, there are multiple geopolitical tensions, within countries, especially in the West, and between countries.

And since the populations are going to need a (massive) distraction from their multiple problems, a big war is more than likely.

What will happen after that is hard to predict...but I would bet on a few centuries of a new Middle Age...

Not really nothing has changed.  Nothing ever does. Hundred years ago the great had just finished, Spanish flu was around the corner, the storm clouds of communism were looming, the great depression waiting in the wings....life went on..life goes on and on..

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I care, my thoughts are I'll be dead soon.

I consider myself lucky, if I'd been born earlier I'd have hit WW2, if I'd been born later I'd have missed cheap international travel.

What a subtle, nuanced view.

10 minutes ago, scammed said:

we can rest assured that plagues like hippies/climateologists/BLM/[insert nonsense] will become increasingly noisy

as we become richer and can keep dishing out allowances that gives them the time to protest rather then work for a living,

that is the nature of the beast

We are not becoming richer, but poorer by the day. 

Our apparent wealth is only the result from massive borrowing from the future. 

In other words, we are crumbling under mountains of debts, owed by states, cities, corporations and people. 

There is a word to sum up our situation: unsustainable

Humanity either survives or get wiped out.  It doesn't really matter if you have a new ipod or not.  However, there are genuine reasons now to leave planet Earth and settle on other planets.

NASA has already found many Earth like planets it's just finding the fuel to get there that is the challenge.

Edited by johnray

12 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just read that by 2030 3.2 billion people will be short of water ,Vietnam ,one of them ,so maybe Thailand?

And before that is was not enough food.

And before that it was not enough oil.

I never worried about the world ending, but I do think the people in charge will become more oppressive and that will make it a worse place for the general population. We can all see the totalitarian way the western world is becoming in their eagerness to protect us all from a trivial disease.

I see the ultimate end game to be with everyone locked in single unit residences for their entire lives, working from that one room, never being allowed out, and being fed sterilised MREs delivered by drones. All for our own safety of course.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Self-drive cars in Thailand? Thanks for a good laugh. I have this mental image of them trying to find a way around Somchai in his clapped-out smoke-belching pickup, doing 50 km/hr in the RH lane on a superhighway.

A self drive car will very likely make a better job of it than the current bunch that we have on the roads.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In other words, we are crumbling under mountains of debts, owed by states, cities, corporations and people. 

It's been said that this is the first generation to leave the children worse off than before. Certainly, the children have to be the worst prepared to survive bad times. Most have never been on a farm, and the closest they have come to a survival situation is on a computer game.

Many are fat enough to last a long time without food though, so they might survive if the crisis doesn't go on too long.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, johnray said:

Humanity either survives or get wiped out.  It doesn't really matter if you have a new ipod or not.  However, there are genuine reasons now to leave planet Earth and settle on other planets.

NASA has already found many Earth like planets it's just finding the fuel to get there that is the challenge.

It will take so long to reach said planets and the conditions so cramped that the travelers will have formed opposing cliques and killed each other off long before arriving. Human nature is human nature.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The end is nigh anyway. Having built a world entirely dependent on computers China can destroy us by withholding the rare earth metals needed to make computers etc.

That's the weak spot of relying on one thing too much.

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A self drive car will very likely make a better job of it than the current bunch that we have on the roads.

Self driving cars and colonizing other planets are fantasies.

Three ou four years ago, all the talk was about self driving cars, their release on the market was imminent...where are they now?

Nowhere...total silence!

AI is not going to replace/mimic human behavior anytime soon.

As for spacial conquest, 50 years ago, humans were on the moon...today the best they can do is reaching the space station.

From 300,000 to 300 km (away from Earth) in 50 years...talk about progress...

• Like 1

It depends.

Like anytime in the past, it depends on how well you chose your parents and lucks.

But for anyone born right now, if you able to learn new skills, adapt to technologies quickly, and be able to learn other languages and cultures, You will do extremely well.

If you are good with your hand and able fix things but without the desire to get formal credentials, you will not do well.

If you an artist of any kind, life is not going to be easy.

But if you can combine artistic/creativity with technology, you can do well.

10 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I think for the very rich it might be ok ,but overpopulation and shortages will be bad for the majority.

Worldwide there is enough food production now and into the foreseeable future, the problem is insufficient distribution infrastructure, corruption and lack of political will.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Worldwide there is enough food production now and into the foreseeable future, the problem is insufficient distribution infrastructure, corruption and lack of political will.

Agreed. Its hell trying to get good crumpets in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Don't know what a Warburton is but the Siamburi one are just as good as a Golden Crumpets sold in Australia.

They are very easy to make, have a crack at doing your own.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/classic-crumpets/

The ones at Siamsburys are very heavy with an unpleasant yeasty taste. I've tried making my own, even bought a special form from Lazada. Limited success, came out similar to Siamsburys crumpets. Occasionally see the odd pack of Warburtons in Villa but get sold very quickly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While life was peachy for us rich western people, life sucked for most other people on the planet.

For the vast majority of people on the planet life is <deleted>.

And precisely that is changing now. Western people are not so rich anymore, while in Asia a new middle-class is emerging. 

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I care, my thoughts are I'll be dead soon.

I consider myself lucky, if I'd been born earlier I'd have hit WW2, if I'd been born later I'd have missed cheap international travel.

I had my life expectancy estimated in Germany. I won't be dead so soon unless I have an accident. So I can watch Asia going up and be a part of it. 

On 9/10/2020 at 9:08 AM, Yinn said:

Fabulous. 

Medicine improve. 

Technology improve. I hope 2030 I will have the “robot slave”. Cook, clean, wash the car.

The old people is anti climate change. They will die and Greta fix that. 

100 year ago, people eat local food. Now have everything share the best together. Be more that way.

self drive cars. Be so good. Have bed in my car. If I go north thailand can sleep. Get drunk if you want. 

Have fake meat, will taste better. Good for animal cruel and environment. 

So so many good thing will happen. 

Yinn, you have good ideas. 

But unfortunately, progress doesn't come linear. Progress comes in waves. 

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Self-drive cars in Thailand? Thanks for a good laugh. I have this mental image of them trying to find a way around Somchai in his clapped-out smoke-belching pickup, doing 50 km/hr in the RH lane on a superhighway.

What you described is easy for the technology to deal with.   

Aside from which by 2050 the law will ban clapped-out smoke-belching pickups.

3 hours ago, Skylight said:

It depends.

Like anytime in the past, it depends on how well you chose your parents and lucks.

But for anyone born right now, if you able to learn new skills, adapt to technologies quickly, and be able to learn other languages and cultures, You will do extremely well.

If you are good with your hand and able fix things but without the desire to get formal credentials, you will not do well.

If you an artist of any kind, life is not going to be easy.

But if you can combine artistic/creativity with technology, you can do well.

A nephew of my wifes ,has learned new technologies ,he is in computers works from home ,earns very good money ,has no friends ,hardly ever goes out ,gets up and sleeps when he likes then works ,him and our son shared a room at university ,,our son has a very good job runs a company ,has loads of friends and a lovely girlfriend and a real life .

moral of story ,working from home could turn out to be a bloody disaster . is this going to be the new norm as technology progresses?

• Like 1