BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
george

The Thai Economy Is In Crisis

well the 2007 crisis ......:o is over!!!

can our mods open a new thread for the 2008 crisis??

where are the dooms day brigade??? bongo is the last one and he is still defending his "short" campaign from august.

It seems they left the forum once the elections were done.

i wonder if the dooms day brigade was a influenced by exiled thais???

well the 2007 crisis ...... :o is over!!!

can our mods open a new thread for the 2008 crisis??

where are the dooms day brigade??? bongo is the last one and he is still defending his "short" campaign from august.

It seems they left the forum once the elections were done.

i wonder if the dooms day brigade was a influenced by exiled thais???

I will answer you diver.

OCT, NOV, & DEC, - I have sold more product at better margins than the preceeding 15 months put together.

Hypothesis - People are sick & tired of waiting for an end to "one man's ambition" & are just getting on with their lives / business etc.

Confirmed sales orders are slackening this month but potentials are at a record high.

Cheers,

Soundman.

man highdiver, you linger like stink on sh@@, inflation is not a good thing when it comes to living expenses genius........oh by the way, how did that election turn out? let me guess, the election mess is also good for the economy going forward? lol

Higher costs spur price hikes

Oil, raw-material expenses surge

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/01/09/business/business_30061610.php

i just wanted to know ..... Where ios the crisis???

what has has happened to all our dooms day brigade?? its not going to be the same with out them..

We are here, dear HD. Don't worry. :o The Mother Of All Threads will be kept alive... For a very long time.

As for myself, I'm waiting for the BOT on november 30 when they will publish the details about october exports (with many goodies like indexes of volume, price etc.).

I will get back to you, after a few charts. I promise.

:D

Now its January 2008, it would be a great time for us to see your 'charts' regarding exports.. You did promise. :D

As for myself, I'm waiting for the BOT on november 30 when they will publish the details about october exports (with many goodies like indexes of volume, price etc.).

I will get back to you, after a few charts. I promise.

:o

Now its January 2008, it would be a great time for us to see your 'charts' regarding exports.. You did promise. :D

Indeed. Thanks to remind me. :D

I've no shame to admit that I was wrong.

Actually, I was wrong for exports for the whole 2007 year.

However... however... I do maintain that exports is the only remaining growth engine for Thailand (difficult to deny this, private consumption and investments remains weak), even if the gvt tries to push public expenses (at this date the "mega projects" are still not financed by the JBIC's loans...).

Add to this the pressure on the THB (33 this morning !)... The inflation... and the obvious recession that is cooking in the US.... Plus I believe we all agree that the idea "elections = confidence and economy back on track" was pure bullshit.

The political crisis is even deeper than before. Nothing is solved.

Therefore, what can we expect from a -ghost- government ?

The crisis will continue in 2008. And economy is following.

The political crisis is even deeper than before. Nothing is solved.

Therefore, what can we expect from a -ghost- government ?

The crisis will continue in 2008. And economy is following.

that goes without saying. the Baht weakens each and every day and will soon have reached its absolute lows vs. major currencies. a weak currency fetching sh*tty low interest rates is the best indication how sh*tty an economy is.

p.s. get that pound of salt ready to sprinkle on my remarks :o

"A slow economy and shrinking consumer confidence and spending caused sales in the local motorcycle market to plunge last year, according to the market leader, AP Honda Co.

Motorcycle sales, based on registrations with the Land Transport Department, fell by 17% from 1.93 million units in 2006 to 1.59 million last year. (Bangkok Post)"

Well I don't think there is a problem. All this sub prime stuff. All George has to do is get the treasury to print up a few hundred billion and bail out the banks. The US hasn't backed the dollar with anything since the 70's so what is a few billion more. :D Sounds a bit unreasonable dosen't it? But then that is what they did in the 80's for the savings and loan industry. Make sure you don't have over $100,000 in any account as that is all that is insured. :o

Until the 70's the US dollar was back by gold. Now it is backed by faith. The entire world gold above ground is valued at $3.4 trillion. The US debt is $9 trillion.

So does anyone see a logical end to the sub prime fiasco?

This is simply the crux of the whole matter for the whole world.

The $US is a Fiat currency with only marginal real value, but a trading value based on nothing more than pure faith. The USA owes nothing, ZERO, to the rest of the world for its ever escalating debts while it can simply print more money that the rest of the world has faith in. Its like owning the mint, the bank and at the same time having an unlimited credit line. If faith in the $US collapses a lot of smaller countries like Thailand will be hurt far more than USA itself.

There are proposals by some economists to base a world trading currency on a common denominator such as a basket of international currencies and some others that include a mix of precious commodities such as gold and oil into the composite. Basing a world trading economy on one countries currency is a very dangerous experiment that is gradually coming to a close. And not with too much of a crunch for the little countries like Thailand I hope.

Hello Golden boys,

how the Set is doing today, seems a bit to rumble in the Pit worldwide right ?

maxi

Edited by Maxi101

Chamber of Commerce requests new govt. to maintain 30% capital reserve requirement

Chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce Pramont Sutheewong (ประมนต์ สุธีวงศ์) says FED’s 0.5% interest rate cut will not affect Thailand’s economy much in a short-term period. He also calls on the new government to maintain the 30% capital reserve requirement and prepare measures for fluctuations of the baht currency after the requirement is lifted.

The chairman also suggests BoT to adjust the country’s interest rate in line with FED’s rate, adding that the global economic situation is deteriorating.

Mr Pramont affirms the new government should carefully consider before deciding to withdraw the 30% reserve requirement.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 31 January 2008

Hello Golden boys,

how the Set is doing today, seems a bit to rumble in the Pit worldwide right ?

maxi

set is back on track than you... :o

Chamber of Commerce requests new govt. to maintain 30% capital reserve requirement

Chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce Pramont Sutheewong (ประมนต์ สุธีวงศ์) says FED’s 0.5% interest rate cut will not affect Thailand’s economy much in a short-term period. He also calls on the new government to maintain the 30% capital reserve requirement and prepare measures for fluctuations of the baht currency after the requirement is lifted.

The chairman also suggests BoT to adjust the country’s interest rate in line with FED’s rate, adding that the global economic situation is deteriorating.

Mr Pramont affirms the new government should carefully consider before deciding to withdraw the 30% reserve requirement.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 31 January 2008

Isn't it funny how many people were up in arms when the 30% RR was kept in place by the BOT for so long? Now Chairman of the Thai Chamber is starting to see why the BOT kept them in place. Since one of the PPP's main economic policies was to abolish these controls, the real world is starting to hit home with some of these guys as to the potential impact on the THB if capital controls are lifted while USD rates are declining.

BANGKOK: -- The Thai economy is in crisis and the government must stimulate state and private investment to make consumption recover if it wants to see the country weather the economic crisis, a leading economist warned Friday.

This seems a bit overblown. If the Thai economy is in crisis today, how would one describe its state in late 1997?

The best ever 57 to the dollar.

Boy that was a vacation to remember... :o