I want a bike with a sidecar - saleng

Damrongsak

I suggest you check out whether it's legal to drive one. I seem to remember sidecars were reserved for Thais, something to do with permitted occupations.

I could be wrong, please put a hold on the tar and feathers.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scammed said:

the police wont enforce the removal of sidecars anytime soon,

not only does a whole lot make a living out of that sidecar,

its also for me part of the culture.

as an extra bonus no helmet is needed

Saw one in Loei town putting up the main street by the market on Google street view.  Two guys, no helmets, no license plate.  555  And there was a cop in the middle of the only roundabout for some reason.  No traffic, but a half dozen motorbikes passing him and no one had a helmet. 

IF they would have standards for building them properly and appropriate riding, they would be fine.  But the same could be said for cars! 

I've got a Yamaha Grand Filano, and was intrigued by this kit I just saw pop up on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/1LQZxv0T46I

Looks to be in the range of 45k baht. Looks easy to install. They've also got them for the Honda Scoopy, and other popular bikes.

I too wonder about the legality though, and how that frame and suspension would hold up over time, considering Thailand's roads.

One of the best purchases that I have ever made in Thailand was a sidecar to go with my old Honda. I think technically they are illegal but simply overlooked because so many villagers depend on them. I bought a second hand one for B2500 (I think) years ago and had the local welder hook it up for another thousand Baht. Added some paint and viola, I now have what I call my sidecar/farm truck/motorcycle taxi.

Both of my license plates have long since expired and I've never had a problem, but then again I only venture out in about a five mile radius of our place. Supposedly to change the Bangkok license to the Phitsanulok province requires me to travel 37 kilometers down a busy highway to the district office in town. Never going to happen. First of all it is to dangerous and secondly it would be a pain in the butt to load it onto a pickup for the trip.

It can haul two bags of cement, three bales of hay and four dogs, but not all at the same time. Surprisingly many Thais do not know how to operate it because it does take some getting use to. This mode of transportation is the best thing since sliced bread. So if you see an old man with a ZZ Top beard riding a sidecar/farm truck/motorcycle taxi in the boonies of Thailand, go ahead and wave. It might be me...

colorado.JPG

• Like 1