Downloading Torrents.

NoshowJones

If I am downloading a torrent, and it stalls for a while then starts, even if it takes days, like downloading a full TV series, will it eventually get there, or should I just delete it.

I am patient enough to wait even if it takes a long time if I know there is going to be an end product, I am completely ignorant about seeding and find it too complicated.

Sometimes it can take a long time weeks or months  to finally get the entire file....sometimes it never gets to 100%  it all depends how many people/machines are "seeding" that particular file if no one is seeding then no one gets the file..if the only computer seeding the file is turned off or not connected to the internet no one gets the file.

Seeding just means sharing, the torrent client works out who has what parts and who needs those parts

eventually everyone should end up with all parts  but only as long as  parts are still being shared/seeded.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johng said:

Sometimes it can take a long time weeks or months  to finally get the entire file....sometimes it never gets to 100%  it all depends how many people/machines are "seeding" that particular file if no one is seeding then no one gets the file..if the only computer seeding the file is turned off or not connected to the internet no one gets the file.

Seeding just means sharing, the torrent client works out who has what parts and who needs those parts

eventually everyone should end up with all parts  but only as long as  parts are still being shared/seeded.

So if it gets to about 80% after two days and I am patient, the chances are it will eventually get there.

You need to check how many people are "seeding" the file.  This means how many people have complete copies.  If no one had a complete copy then there is now way you will ever get the complete download.  It's possible that people who do have a complete copy do not keep their PCs on 24/7, so in that case, patience will indeed be a virtue.

When you choose a file to download, you are usually better off looking for one that has a high number of seeds but I believe different torrent clients may use different terms,

1 hour ago, petermik said:
1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

So if it gets to about 80% after two days and I am patient, the chances are it will eventually get there.

Yes :thumbsup:

Look in the torrent client app under peers and see if any of the seeders has 100% uploading. If none of them have (possible on the obscure stuff) then you will never get the completed file. Checked over several days maybe the 100%'ers come and go.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tgw said:

your torrent client can tell you if the whole data is currently being seeded or not.

Yep, some clients will report "Availability" (how many times 100% of the torrent is available currently online), as well as the last time "100%" of the torrent was last seen. 

image.png.b3fcf686c20db79df729c3115938bd96.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, faraday said:

You need something to d/l it, ie 'Flud'. Then go to an appropriate site & click magnet d/l.

Too lazy to be more explicit.

BitTorrent works every time for me, and usually loads of Seeds, so fairly fast.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:22 PM, possum1931 said:

It was all the seasons of Perry Mason, it has just finished and took about three days, so I'm very satisfied.

What's your problem with the saddo?? Am I not entitled to download TV shows I missed when I was a kid?

Get a life.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, otto69 said:

How do I download movies?

Mr. Internet says to make it easy on yourself and subscribe to an online movie service

Netflix ($8.99 per month)
HBO ($14.99 per month)
Disney Plus ($6.99 per month)
Hulu ($5.99 per month)
Amazon Prime Video ($119 per year)

22 minutes ago, otto69 said:

First you need a "Client" a program that lets you download and share files. There are several "Clients" available,   I use uTorrent 2.2.1 which is old but simple to use:- https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/utorrent2.html

Next important step is to set up "Port Forwarding" on your Router. For this you can enter your model into google and there will be plenty of people willing to help you set it up.

If you need further help just let us know.  :smile:

24 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

First you need a "Client" a program that lets you download and share files. There are several "Clients" available,   I use uTorrent 2.2.1 which is old but simple to use:- https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/utorrent2.html

Next important step is to set up "Port Forwarding" on your Router. For this you can enter your model into google and there will be plenty of people willing to help you set it up.

If you need further help just let us know.  :smile:

I have just read this about utorrent and bloatware etc. I use BitTorrent which updates itself regularly, no bloatware, no Port Forwarding stuff to do. It just works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, otto69 said:

33 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have just read this about utorrent and bloatware etc. I use BitTorrent which updates itself regularly, no bloatware, no Port Forwarding stuff to do. It just works.

That's why I use an old version of uTorrent, works just as well without the bloatware.

It's possible to download movies without having set up "Port Forwarding" but it restricts you from "Seeding" that is sharing the downloaded files with others. Not considered cricket.

If you are correctly connected with "Port Forwarding" the little icon at the bottom right of your client should be green:-

Capture.JPG.6df49d2a9b755810a527b415fd19aed6.JPG