Video: Desperate times for businesses in Chiang Mai without foreign tourists

webfact

Video: Desperate times for businesses in Chiang Mai without foreign tourists

standard.jpg

video screenshot

Thai media The Standard produced a five minute video after reporter Chutinan Sanguanprasit went to discover what Chiang Mai was like without foreign tourists.

It did not make for happy viewing. 

Traders, shop owners, restaurant proprietors and hoteliers all spoke with one voice. 

Things might be a little better after the pandemic lockdown but not very much. 

Income was a fraction of previous times and there were just no customers. 

There may be a few Thai domestic tourists but this was barely keeping them afloat. 

Up to ninety percent down on previous times both in terms of visitors and income was a common assessment. 

Source: The Standard

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-10

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Actually; living in Chiang Mai we are very happy that we have the place back to ourselves, the roads are clear for the most part and Shops, Restauarants and Cafe's are uncrowded, a much more pleasant situation for Local's undependant on Tourism.   Not nice for those who are dependant on Tourism but there is going to have to be readjustment for a 'New Normal' as it's never going to be what it was.

The roads are just as busy at the usual times, that is because of locals, not tourists. Would not know how you consider this more pleasant too, there is few shops left to go to and it starts limiting choice and options. Unless you are always at home and want to be the only farang around. Surely agree mass tourism was too much but this is like the other end of extremes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Apart from tourism what does CM have to offer? any industry up there? just farming

If you are Buddhist, they have many wonderful temples, including Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.  Having become Theravada Buddhist.... I spend lots of time at temples when I am there.  And they have English Monk Chat at Wat Chedi Luang where you can talk with monks who speak English or are practicing English. They very much appreciate your time with them. 
      Many markets in Chiang Mai. There are lots of things to do there in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area. In the mountains north and west of Chiang Mai and Chiang Dao, there are interesting tribal villages....some that are totally isolated.  Like something out of National Geographic Magazine. But in some cases you will have to travel to those villages with member of the village you go to. Some villages don’t speak Thai....and of course no English. They will speak their tribal language...   Lisu is one example, but there are several others.
    Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao, Chiang Rai and the mountain villages are well worth spending time there. 
  (If you like corn-on-the-cob....the best I ever had..I had in Chiang Mai from street vendors.   ????    Corn-on-the-cob in the U.S. and Canada just can’t compare. You’ll be going back for more and more. And the first time I ever had Durian ice cream.... made fresh right in front of me, was in Chiang Mai. Delicious ???? )

Edited by Catoni
Correction
  • Like 1

With normal, rational, decent, compassionate, wise and competent officials, this kind of event would encourage humility, stimulate a learning process, and lead toward improved treatment of tourists and ex-pats.

Here? These small minded fools just do not seem capable of evolution. The word regressive comes to mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Drug market ....!!!!!

During four months in Chiang Mai.... only saw drugs once. And that was when the BIB’s chased down and captured a Ya Ba dealer carrying a few packages full of Ya Ba just a few meters from where I was sitting having a beer at a bar.  What an interesting evening.... and lots of yelling. 
  Other than that one incident... never saw drugs in C.M. 

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

I've just told the owner of the house I rent that I need to go home because borders and still closed and they want us out by Sep 27th. Just one more lost revenue stream for one random Thai but it adds up in the end.

I know a few guys in that same situation, good luck

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

If you are Buddhist, they have many wonderful temples, including Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.  Having become Theravada Buddhist.... I spend lots of time at temples when I am there.  And they have English Monk Chat at Wat Chedi Luang where you can talk with monks who speak English or are practicing English. They very much appreciate your time with them. 
      Many markets in Chiang Mai. There are lots of things to do there in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area. In the mountains north and west of Chiang Mai and Chiang Dao, there are interesting tribal villages....some that are totally isolated.  Like something out of National Geographic Magazine. But in some cases you will have to travel to those villages with member of the village you go to. Some villages don’t speak Thai....and of course no English. They will speak their tribal language...   Lisu is one example, but there are several others.
    Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao, Chiang Rai and the mountain villages are well worth spending time there. 
  (If you like corn-on-the-cob....the best I ever had..I had in Chiang Mai from street vendors.   ????    Corn-on-the-cob in the U.S. and Canada just can’t compare. You’ll be going back for more and more. And the first time I ever had Durian ice cream.... made fresh right in front of me, was in Chiang Mai. Delicious ???? )

That sounds exciting, Not!

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Actually; living in Chiang Mai we are very happy that we have the place back to ourselves, the roads are clear for the most part and Shops, Restauarants and Cafe's are uncrowded, a much more pleasant situation for Local's undependant on Tourism.   Not nice for those who are dependant on Tourism but there is going to have to be readjustment for a 'New Normal' as it's never going to be what it was.

When I lived in Chiang Mai I always enjoyed the low season for the reasons you have stated.  However many of the restaurants and venues were supported by tourism and without it will no doubt will have to close their doors.  Again places like the Chinese markets and Worrowat rely on Restaurants and hotel Kitchens buying their goods as much if not more than the local people.

Chiang Mai pitches itself as a cultural centre and that has meant tourism has been essential to it's survival.  It will always get the Thai weekend trade from Bangkok but that is too little to keep open all the hotels and guest houses. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

Its the same everywhere here and yet they insist on pushing out expats who have ME Visas simply because the borders where closed talk about cutting off your nose etc etc etc .

As i said in a previous post there was a simple fix and was allowing them to do a 90 day at their local office until either the borders are reopened or get a new visa when its time . Maybe this was just to simple or logical for them to understand .

8 hours ago, bestie said:

They knew what would happen and they didn't change the game. Even if they would now change the Visa situation for the leftover foreigners here it's way to late for that. So many people left already who could stay here easily. Teachers, Students, Farangs who are on a marriage Visa, tourists.... many of them are gone. And many of them are disappointed or have now other things to do then think about how they could come back. It will take a lot of time. However it will be interesting to see in which direction the country will go. 

Who was pushed out and when? There's been an amnesty going on since March, which will end on 26th of this month. So all those on ME whichever visa are still here. Most (if not all) restrictions were lifted about 2 months ago yet the situation of the places catering for foreign tourists has not improved. As I wrote in many replies to posts here on tvf - most expats living in Thailand have minimal to no effect at all on the tourism industry. 

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Actually; living in Chiang Mai we are very happy that we have the place back to ourselves, the roads are clear for the most part and Shops, Restauarants and Cafe's are uncrowded, a much more pleasant situation for Local's undependant on Tourism.   

Hey, yeah wow, great. 

Chang Mai does not nee8 tourism. 

Much. 

Carry on, smug myopia is what the world needs. 

And while we're at it, thare is no apostrophe in a plural and it is ent not ant. Think nothing of it. 

Here's an idea let's go and live in a place with a fair volume of tourists and complain about tourism. Or let's get a house near Heathrow and complain about........ 

Edited by rott