Video: Desperate times for businesses in Chiang Mai without foreign tourists

webfact

9 hours ago, genericptr said:

I've just told the owner of the house I rent that I need to go home because borders and still closed and they want us out by Sep 27th. Just one more lost revenue stream for one random Thai but it adds up in the end.

I moved from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in March. My landlord in CM now has three empty condo apartments. The other two have been vacant for years. When I wanted to stay in my old condo last month for a week, my offer to his agent was accepted immediately. No lease, illegal I know. However, better than nothing.

The male massage guy I used to go to in Chiang Mai has shut up shop, no customers. His business was thriving prior to Covid. A couple of the good restaurants I used to go to are shuttered.

I think it's dawning on the average Thai tourists are essential for income, and their government is doing very little to change their situation.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I moved from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in March. My landlord in CM now has three empty condo apartments. The other two have been vacant for years. When I wanted to stay in my old condo last month for a week, my offer to his agent was accepted immediately. No lease, illegal I know. However, better than nothing.

The male massage guy I used to go to in Chiang Mai has shut up shop, no customers. His business was thriving prior to Covid. A couple of the good restaurants I used to go to are shuttered.

I think it's dawning on the average Thai tourists are essential for income, and their government is doing very little to change their situation.

Ive been in CM for over a decade..thinking about the move to CR...worth it?.....I do like having a bit of expats to chat up in CM and the various international food choices, or they are at least my excuses for staying

3 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Ive been in CM for over a decade..thinking about the move to CR...worth it?.....I do like having a bit of expats to chat up in CM and the various international food choices, or they are at least my excuses for staying

More laid back than Chiang Mai. Condo rentals are cheaper, CR Immigration is way better, no queues of a hundred people. The condo I live in has a few expats, mostly American.

Not as many international food choices, I'm still exploring the options. Air pollution is just as bad as CM, cooler climate. Three private hospitals. Anjira dental clinic in the middle of town is quite good. 2 shopping malls, Big C and Central Festival.

I'm quite happy here. The bar scene is very small, but I don't need to go there. As they say, up to you.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:47 PM, keith101 said:

And Pattaya isn't LOL  

No. Name one place where you can smell marinuana on the air. Current drugs are vodka and red bull.  That being said there is now a legal cannabis clinic in Pattaya so things are improving.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

More laid back than Chiang Mai. Condo rentals are cheaper, CR Immigration is way better, no queues of a hundred people. The condo I live in has a few expats, mostly American.

Not as many international food choices, I'm still exploring the options. Air pollution is just as bad as CM, cooler climate. Three private hospitals. Anjira dental clinic in the middle of town is quite good. 2 shopping malls, Big C and Central Festival.

I'm quite happy here. The bar scene is very small, but I don't need to go there. As they say, up to you.

In CM The police and army rigoursly enforce early bar lockdown. There is no 'up to you' Its a city under occupation. A truly dreadful part of Thailand.

Edited by Nout
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nout said:

In CM The police and army rigoursly enforce early bar lockdown. There is no 'up to you' Its a city under occupation. A truly dreadful part of Thailand.

I didn't know that. Went out a few evenings ago to JedYod Road, the bar and massage shop area. Call it nostalgia. Around 10 pm. Quite a few reasonably attractive women trying to entice me off my scooter.

On 9/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, CorpusChristie said:

That is a local Thai market though , not really a tourist destination 

It is the market in the middle of China town, you will see s few farang tourist in that area when tourist were king but is and always a local market. But with out tourist who ever thay maybe even the Thai business is down. That place can be wall to wall with people.

1 hour ago, Nout said:

Isnt it the same all over Thailand ?

A police car drives around the bar area with flashing lights at about 12 30 am ?

No army involved in CM

On 9/10/2020 at 5:57 AM, trainman34014 said:

Actually; living in Chiang Mai we are very happy that we have the place back to ourselves, the roads are clear for the most part and Shops, Restauarants and Cafe's are uncrowded, a much more pleasant situation for Local's undependant on Tourism.   Not nice for those who are dependant on Tourism but there is going to have to be readjustment for a 'New Normal' as it's never going to be what it was.

I'm alright Jack.

On 9/10/2020 at 8:32 AM, spidermike007 said:

With normal, rational, decent, compassionate, wise and competent officials, this kind of event would encourage humility, stimulate a learning process, and lead toward improved treatment of tourists and ex-pats.

Here? These small minded fools just do not seem capable of evolution. The word regressive comes to mind. 

I have proper words for em, Mike, but glad you can show restraint. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 8:46 AM, Geoffggi said:

Drug market ....!!!!!

Seems, you have never been to CM...

I’ve been in CM a few days ago and nowhere, I got offers to buy Marihuana.

... something, that is constantly happening on Pattaya’s Beach Road and on Walking Street after the lifting of the lockdown.

6 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

Seems, you have never been to CM...

I’ve been in CM a few days ago and nowhere, I got offers to buy Marihuana.

... something, that is constantly happening on Pattaya’s Beach Road and on Walking Street after the lifting of the lockdown.

Back in the day chang Mai was considered a part of the golden triangle where a lot of heroin would come through .

On 9/10/2020 at 6:42 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Ironic they pick the China market as a backdrop to the emptiness is this a subliminal message or a thank you to our Chinese friends ???? 

1 third of the foreign tourism income in CM pre-Covid came from the Chinese.

And different to Pattaya or Phuket, 70% of those Chinese didn’t come with the infamous zero-baht-tours, but were from the FIT category, spending considerably more....

On 9/10/2020 at 4:37 AM, ChipButty said:

That sounds exciting, Not!

Oh....really??   What would YOU find exciting or nice to do?  

I’m sure you have much better ideas.  Please do be so kind as to enlighten us.  
Thank you so very much ????

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Yes what was 40 years ago is so very relevant to today.  ????

It still happens and is one of the main smuggling routes for ya ba coming in from China . Not to say CM is a drugs paradise it’s just a smuggling route and is where a lot of the hill tribe people make their money . 

Edited by chrisandsu