Cabinet to consider special tourist visa next week: TAT

webfact

6 minutes ago, LEKPHUKET said:

Let's not be to excited the details of the magisterial plan are not published yet.

2 weeks quarantine will be killing their great new idea.

But about the expats  travelling abroad having a retirement visa nobody speaks,  they forgot them completely

..and a possible 2 weeks quarantine on the return journey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

And like always, NEVER any news of retirees being allowed back on the currently suspended Non Imm O & O-A visas (unless you are married and/or married/spouse with Thai child) continues.  

Retirees are being treated with zero consideration.  Thousands of us stranded abroad, yet special tourist visas have become more of a priority and will sidestep retirees with their 800,000 baht bank deposits.  WHY? 

Because, it's all about the money. 

• Like 1

I went to Krabi for a few days. Thursday beaches and hotel deserted, Friday to Sunday packed out, Monday on back to no bookings. Krabi town deserted and mostly shuttered throughout. The impact will kill many businesses if there is no really positive Government action and incentives. Not holding my breath, even though I’m wearing my mask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Maybe if we didn't have to keep 400/800 baht in the bank we would spend more time in the hotels.So they would need less tourist to make everyone happy. A happy ending?

They don't put your money in a shoebox. The banks give it to people as credit and they will spend it. Perhaps not for booze and ladies ????

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and the "great ideas" keep coming, as I said before, they should revise/restart/reset ALL their visa requirements and then we talk

Absolutely correct! overhaul The entire system. Remove at the very least 50% of the financial requirements so those extra funds can actually be freed up to spend .  Or do away with then entirely and go back to the old system which proved easier and brought folks in. Okay... add a negative 19 test prior to leaving and administer another later while in country? Possible and not cost prohibitive. Just an idea for the vacant logic and common sence government  departments

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

for Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul to discuss the matter with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Mensa eat yer heart out .. 

'discuss the matter'?  They''ll be playing 'my bank balance is bigger than your bank balance' all night.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

'discuss the matter'?  They''ll be playing 'my bank balance is bigger than your bank balance' all night.

Given some of what the health minister comes out with he's got the intellect of a lab rat or been doing too much self administering of the marijuana that he's championing .. 

Instead of coming up with stuff that would'nt be out of place in a fairytale book they want to get real to the situation that they are facing the collapse of the tourist industry .. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Ex pats who live here but no family are screwed...most have O or OA visas...they can’t get in....

shoukd not be made to get a new tourist visa to gain entry as they live here up to a year....they bring in a lot more money than people on tourist visas solely based on their time they spend here as well as investments like vehicles,  helping poor families etc

Wrong....most expats living here have the correct 13 month extension to match their status in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Nah i would miss these nonsense interrogations in broken English at the airport about why i visit here again?  Since my last visit was only 11 months ago?  and why my return flight back home for this time is in 2 months ? while i don't have applied for a 2 month visa?. Now their supervisor will have to interrogate me further checking carefully all pages my passport.  bla bla..So i decided no-longer to come at all !! Instead I fly directly to the Phillipines where at their airport they great me with Hello Sir welcome back!

Nice of you to still keep in touch with a Thai internet forum.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

I see the TAT statistical department have been pulling figures out of the air again. None of them seem to have any logical basis.

Yes, it seems very strange that the quoted figures of ''2.5 million jobs out of a current 4 million in the tourism sector may be lost'' as last week they announced 2 million tourist sector jobs already were lost.  And, due to the permanent lack of tourists -- and the fact that many 'jobs' were casual -- no one really knows how many are/were working in the 'tourist sector'!

I do like the optimistic term 'may be lost' -- especially as there has been a derth of tourists in Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, etc., etc., for some months now -- how all these people are still working!  Must be lots of 'benevolent' employers!

• Like 1

While the 2-week quarantine is in place tourists will not 'flock' back!

The thought of sitting for up to 12 hours on a plane, with a face-mask on, with potentially a number of infected passengers, the $100,000 covid insurance, the 'covid-free' bit of paper obtained less than 48 hours before flying (it takes me a day to get to the airport never mind the 2-5 days waiting for test results) -- never mind the increased cost of flights -- would put many 'tourists' off visiting the LoS!

And I wonder what the proportion of 'over-90-day visitors' is compared to the 10-, 14-, and 21-day tourists are? I bet they spend more money than the '90-dayers' -- the short-stayers pay and go on sight-seeing trips, rent cars, bikes, etc.!