Cabinet to consider special tourist visa next week: TAT

webfact

What about those already here on long stay (over 6 years in my case on Thailand Elite) meet all the criteria for a Non O retirement visa only to be told I have to leave and come back after the 26th September to get one as it's not available inside the country. Only been on Amnesty 6 weeks. Will they be available as a short term option for us until borders open?

• Like 2

Having left Thailand last month, I would be one of the first ones to reenter under that plan. 

It all depends on the details! If they force me to take a Thai Airways charter flight....I pass! 

If they force me to deal with a ridiculous amount of paper work/wait list at the embassies...I pass! 

If I feel scammed at the quarantine hotel (and that would mean more than 3000 Baht/Night in a 4star Hotel)...I pass!

So it’s up to them..choose wisely or let the greed win. Any scenario won’t save the tourism sector in 2020, but the „greed scenario“ would be changed after 4-6 weeks, as most would pass/wait.

Edited by SpanishExpat

2 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

What about the tourists already here? Who DO NOT have covid and wish to stay longer due to travel disruptions?

it makes no sense to kick them out after September 26 just to restart tourism a few days / weeks later.

swapping bread for crumbs. 

is there likely going to be some news about the folk still here ? 

Agreed it doesn't seem to make much sense. I'm here on a non imm base on marriage. I will have 400,000 baht in my bank account in the next few days and have nearly that amount in my UK account. Since the end of March I've got well over the 40,000 baht a month income but not all sent to Thailand as it's not needed as my wife has an income. I've been here since 30th December so I'm safe. Surely there's no reason I shouldn't be able to stay. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, you can only use the Visa to stay in Phuket or on Kho Samui, but not in Pattaya, they will also have buses to take you around on preselected tours. Sou do to me like maybe a TAT version of the Zero Dollar tours may be on the horizon.

Dont give them ideas!

As long as there restrictions, particularly quarantine the numbers of tourist arrivals will be negligible. Those wishing to “stay a long time” aren’t really tourists.

The documents, certificates, insurance and testing along with a minimum ASQ cost of 30k up make it viable only for those probably already living here who need to get back. One poster here told his story and he paid around 300k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vinci said:

why don't they just offer 30 days extension for 1900, unlimited until everything go back to normal, keep what you already have in the country, these are virus free customer, they do have to spend on living is not that they live for free in Thailand, i don't understand why they have to make thing so difficult

same reason again and again.. why care?   salary keeps coming in.. focus on how to get more personal cash is a better time productivity...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GordonP said:

<deleted> Like many others I have considered Thailand to be my home for a few months short of a decade, I pay tax directly and indirectly. My Thai gf and I just want to come back and live in our apartment. We buy at the local market, eat at the local restaurants, drink at local bars and get hair cut, hands and feet manicured and pedicured and regularly have massages. All local.

We see the tourists being dropped off at the hotel opposite. With the exception of  bottled water and Tiger Balm products they buy at 7-11 they spend sweet f*** locally. 

From CN right?

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Wrong....most expats living here have the correct 13 month extension to match their status in Thailand.

This reply above seems not relevant!  its about o visas not able to return to LOS, your reply is something else...

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign tourists are expected to return to Thailand in the second quarter of 2021 (April-June) due to the likely development of a Covid-19 vaccine, Yuthasak added.

Think a lot of places will have gone for good if that’s the case and can’t imagine the amount of people starving to death almost or who will have committed suicide by then ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

While the 2-week quarantine is in place tourists will not 'flock' back!

The thought of sitting for up to 12 hours on a plane, with a face-mask on, with potentially a number of infected passengers, the $100,000 covid insurance, the 'covid-free' bit of paper obtained less than 48 hours before flying (it takes me a day to get to the airport never mind the 2-5 days waiting for test results) -- never mind the increased cost of flights -- would put many 'tourists' off visiting the LoS!

And I wonder what the proportion of 'over-90-day visitors' is compared to the 10-, 14-, and 21-day tourists are? I bet they spend more money than the '90-dayers' -- the short-stayers pay and go on sight-seeing trips, rent cars, bikes, etc.!

you forgot the cheap quaranine hotel!

32 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

As long as there restrictions, particularly quarantine the numbers of tourist arrivals will be negligible. Those wishing to “stay a long time” aren’t really tourists.

The documents, certificates, insurance and testing along with a minimum ASQ cost of 30k up make it viable only for those probably already living here who need to get back. One poster here told his story and he paid around 300k.

Correct EXCEPT for the bit that said "Those wishing to “stay a long time” aren’t really tourists."

Bear in mind that the OP said "The visa will be valid for an initial 90-day stay but can be renewed twice – 90 days each time – for a maximum stay of 270 days."

I regularly come to Thailand for 90 days on a SETV, extended for 30 days. I and others like me are de-facto Tourists. If it weren't for all the other BS, this visa would be perfect for me.  Unfortunately.......... ????

Edited by VBF