Child sickness judgement at School

Jack Hna

Today we get a call at 1.50pm advising our 4 year old son has been put in sick bay at school and we can collect him early if we wish.

We arrive 20 minutes later and he is absolutely fine.

Even when we were being led to the room and assistant teacher advises he seemed fine today. We can also see from all the videos he has participated well and shows no sign of any illness.

The teacher who made the judgement advised when he was about to go to sleep he had a runny nose and a cough. Since we collected him he has displayed neither symptom.

In the partitioned room from a different class there were 3 pupils and 1 was clearly very ill. 

Seems very odd this judgement and made on the basis of small bout of the sniffles and possibly a dry throat.

I know vigilance is necessary right now but even they checked his temperature before putting him in sick bay and he was a standard 36.4.

Surely a mask would have been the next step, surely putting him in sick bay with kids that are actually Ill increases the risk.

Welcome info from Parents on this.

In case anyone asks it is a private facility with middle of the road fees and overall very pleased with them but this judgement seems rash and a simple check of him after 20 minutes isolation would have determined he was perfectly fine.

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you're not happy, change schools.

Official school starts at age 6, no need for him to go at all.

I am certain no matter how many respond on this site. Your in the minority on all solutions and info provided on the above quoted content.

30 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

I am certain no matter how many respond on this site. Your in the minority on all solutions and info provided on the above quoted content.

You're daft if you think there's another solution.

But as you don't like my posts, I'll put you on ignore so I'm not tempted to waste my time replying to any more of yours.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You're daft if you think there's another solution.

But as you don't like my posts, I'll put you on ignore so I'm not tempted to waste my time replying to any more of yours.

Correct on all counts barring the first sentence.

• Like 1

I guess I'm looking for experiences as this seems to be happening a lot recently. Kids need to get Ill to become stronger but I agree vigilance is required but in this incident it seems a rash decision. Especially when I see kids going to school with a hankerchief around there face. Also the temperature check should be the main driver if the other symptoms are so minimal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:53 PM, Jack Hna said:

Correct on all counts barring the first sentence.

Britman is correct. Do point out that you don't want to see it again and leave it at that, then accept things as they are. If they single out your child after that, change school. Anything else is useless. Of fight and you will reach the same conclusion in 10 - 20 years

Just now, MikeyIdea said:

Britman is correct. Do point out that you don't want to see it again and leave it at that, then accept things as they are. If they single out your child after that, change school. Anything else is useless. Of fight and you will reach the same conclusion in 10 - 20 years

You are incorrect I approached my schools director and explained my concerns and he agreed entirely there needs to a process for this and the teacher was too quick to judge him unwell and they should have checked on him during the first 20 minutes before making the judgement.

Kids will cough and get a runny nose with a temperature change or a dry throat. This is not an indication of them being ill if it happens once. If it continues maybe or maybe an allergy but I am pleased my schools director saw it correctly and the teachers are now correctly advised on procedures to undertake prior to admitting children to sickbay.

Problem solved.

Tools to fix problem. Good comms.

• Haha 1