Any point connecting a LAN cable to a smart TV?

bbabythai

8 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

Am I correct in assuming that a smart TV can connect to wifi and thus theres no point in running a LAN cable from a wifi router to the tv. 

Yes or no. Look in your TV information book. A SMART owner would know that.  It’s impossible to answer without the model and then you can DAGS it yourself.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes or no. Look in your TV information book. A SMART owner would know that.  It’s impossible to answer without the model and then you can DAGS it yourself.

obviously one can assume that Im thinking of buying a new smart tv and thus they are all the same tech. I suppose Im interested to know if plugging in a LAN will make the connection faster than if its only connected to wifi. In any case thanks for your smart answer. I cant be bothered hitting the caps lock button. Too petty

• Like 1

Depends on the TV brand/model, I have sony AF9 I think and it did cost me an arm and a leg, but to my surprise it came with 100mb adapter which is way slower than wifi a/c.

My friend bought an LG not so long ago and has the same problem, not 1GE ethernet.

But this also doesn't matter much unless you plan to stream 4k videos from nas or do remote play.

Most all Smart TVs will come with WiFi built in, that doesn't mean it's the best interface to use just that it's quicker, cheaper and more convenient to implement.

Some people find having a dual band 2.4/5GHz WiFi Access Point helps as they can connect the SmartTV via 5GHz to take advantage of the faster speed (and lower chance of neighboring user interference and band congestion).  But if the WiFi Access Point is a fair distance away, or you're already maxing out the ability of your WiFi Access Point Router then using a wired Ethernet connection can solve a lot of buffering or other issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbabythai said:

obviously one can assume that Im thinking of buying a new smart tv and thus they are all the same tech. I suppose Im interested to know if plugging in a LAN will make the connection faster than if its only connected to wifi. In any case thanks for your smart answer. I cant be bothered hitting the caps lock button. Too petty

You may assume that it’s self evident. It isn’t. If you ask a question that has enough information you will get a better answer.

The tech is not the same. Some have WiFi, some don’t, in some conditions WiFi will be fast in others not. Some will have a better speed on a LAN others will not.

• Like 1

I would say it's always better to have your place hard wired and connect with a LAN cable. I connect from my router to my TV box using the WiFi 5g connection and that's good but WiFi signal is subject to atmospheric fading and signal degradation due to walls etc, where hard wired LAN connection is not.

You try and get the bandwidth advertised by your service provider at the router using WiFi and 4G, impossible, me thinks. (But I have been wrong before.)

33 minutes ago, carlyai said:

and that's good but WiFi signal is subject to atmospheric fading

I personally try to avoid making comments about 2.4/5GHz atmospheric fading, as people tend to stop taking what I'm saying seriously ...even the ham radio people wearing tin foil on their heads.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

I personally try to avoid making comments about 2.4/5GHz atmospheric fading, as people tend to stop taking what I'm saying seriously ...even the ham radio people wearing tin foil on their heads.

I must have missed that charter about atmospheric fading and 'wearing tin foil ...' spose it's related to 5G and that virus thingy?

For a time I worked in microwave systems design and plotting paths for microwave routes and if (due to fading) we needed space and/or frequency diversity. So I've seem a lot of atmospheric fading caused by atmosphere. 

Also with the WiFi signal app on your phone you can see the signal strength varying due to fading. 

I always take what you say seriously (well, nearly always).

42 minutes ago, carlyai said:

For a time I worked in microwave systems design and plotting paths for microwave routes and if (due to fading) we needed space and/or frequency diversity. So I've seem a lot of atmospheric fading caused by atmosphere. 

The typical home or condo user won't run into this because of very short distance involved. They're more likely to be battling EMI/RFI issues before ever encountering atmospheric phenomenon in the normal consumer WiFi use-case environment. 

I just thought you using a fresnel zone element concern was a funny thing to be mentioning here.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RichCor said:

The typical home or condo user won't run into this because of very short distance involved. They're more likely to be battling EMI/RFI issues before ever encountering atmospheric phenomenon in the normal consumer WiFi use-case environment. 

I just thought you using a fresnel zone element concern was a funny thing to be mentioning here.  

Well, not sure you are correct. I can see my signal strength on my WiFi router and 3 WiFi extenders. The signal strengths vary a lot. Not much RFI where I am. 

Must be that 5G and covid. Anyway I'm off topic again.

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

but WiFi signal is subject to atmospheric fading and signal degradation due to walls

How much atmospheric fading occurs in your house between your router and TV/PC.

And once the router/WiFi transmitter is positioned correctly, do your walls move?    PML