Pink ID

A pink ID is nothing more than a confirmation of your address. It caries the same number as your yellow tabien baan, and is actually the same in CC format, with that extra that it has your picture.

Benefits will depend on who you encounter, and will vary from place to place and person to person, but they should be the same as with a yellow tabien baan.

Not sure why the OP with PR status bothered with it, as his alien book will have more value than the pink card

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Mike, can you outline what you needed to obtain pinkie.

Been here 8 years. Have read helpful for car purchase along with other minor stuff.

Can some expert guys give info. Would find it helpful. 

A yellow house book.

But that alone can be used as a certificate of residence to buy vehicles or renew driving licences etc.

The pink ID card can be used instead of a passport when mailing things EMS, but perhaps just a Thai driving license can too. 

Hi Dr Jack, 

House registration booklet, passport, work permit. If you have PR, bring your resident and alien certificates. Going to the district office where you are located. But, remember that bring additional documents, Thai officials can be very different in different districts. If your wife is Thai, better go there together with her. Honestly, in the past 30 years, I did not have trouble without that pink ID, I think it can be some convenient when doing some bank stuffs, I am not sure yet. Some folks in this forum may tell me ! I am still working in Bangkok with work permit, retiring in 3 years. 

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Benefits will depend on who you encounter, and will vary from place to place and person to person, but they should be the same as with a yellow tabien baan.

Can I ask you. I'm just a punter living same condo BKK for long time. I have been told a pink card would be advantageous to buy car or bike. If that's not a requirement then I will skip it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Can I ask you. I'm just a punter living same condo BKK for long time. I have been told a pink card would be advantageous to buy car or bike. If that's not a requirement then I will skip it.

As I said the pink id card has the same benefits as a yellow tabien baan, confirming your address, so it replaces the need for a certificate of residence when dealing with the government.

You need to have a yellow tabien baan to apply for a pink card

Just now, Mike BKK said:

Hi Dr Jack, 

House registration booklet, passport, work permit. If you have PR, bring your resident and alien certificates. Going to the district office where you are located. But, remember that bring additional documents, Thai officials can be very different in different districts. If your wife is Thai, better go there together with her. Honestly, in the past 30 years, I did not have trouble without that pink ID, I think it can be some convenient when doing some bank stuffs, I am not sure yet. Some folks in this forum may tell me ! I am still working in Bangkok with work permit, retiring in 3 years. 

Thanks Mike, but I don't meet those requirements. Just post following info for guys in my situation (thinking many)

Been Thailand 8 yr same condo but only lease. On annual extensions (retirement).

So guess that cuts me out.

Thanks anyway.

I remember that when I registered in a hospital in the North, the front desk had totally no idea, the nurse asked me why I had no ID, but I had the life-time driving license with ID number #8......shown on the license. Finally she just used the information from my driving license !Back to the today event in the district office, the official asked me why I did Not apply the pink ID at the time I received the PR, I said I just knew it. Anyway, just 60 bahts, 2 hours, worth to do so. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

yellow book will suffice.     and one needs a yellow book to get a pink card.

UOB  bank requires a pink card to get special rate on some accounts.    I do not know (yet) of any

other advantage  over  yellow book or drivers license

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rumak said:

yellow book will suffice.     and one needs a yellow book to get a pink card.

Thanks for advice. I will never have a yellow book. Our life style is to rent condo BKK, same one last 8 years and travel a lot. Don't even know what a yellow book is.

Rules me out. However thanks for advice.

I see several folks here asked if the pink card can make buying car or bike easier. My experience just two weeks ago before having the pink card. I bought an used pickup, the used car shop seller asked me for ID to process the transfer, I did not it of course,  then we went to the local transportation department for transfer, the officer only need my passport and house registration booklet (mine is blue). It can be a little bit more convenient with a pink ID, but not that significant I think. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike BKK said:

the officer only need my passport and house registration booklet (mine is blue). It can be a little bit more convenient with a pink ID, but not that significant I think. 

Thanks Mike but how does that work with folk that rent condo even if it's been several years. So you need to live in different type of accommodation. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks Mike but how does that work with folk that rent condo even if it's been several years. So you need to live in different type of accommodation. 

It's a pain in the rear depending what amphoe is responsible for your area.

In theory and by law you're entitled, even required to obtain a Yellow Book but of course TIT and reality speaks a different language.

Essential is to bring the condo owner with Blue Book and ID, another witness and sometimes they ask for a notarized copy of the passport.

Just now, FlyingThai said:

Essential is to bring the condo owner with Blue Book and ID, another witness and sometimes they ask for a notarized copy of the passport.

Thanks. That won't happen, however read your many posts today across the board. Excellent work. 

To be honest living BKK I doubt wish to purchase car. However since Covid and perhaps shift towards domestic travel it became a consideration.

Ta

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Jack, I guess, the first thing is to get a yellow Tabien Baan, you need passport with valid visa, work permit if you have, lease agreement along with your landlord’s ID and his/her Tabien Baan. Once you have the yellow Tabien Baan, then go for pink ID. Also good, walk to the district office for some advice, usually the information desk is helpful, but the officers inside are usually not ! Good luck ! 

Today I learned a lot from all of you, just a little thing I found today in the district office. I saw the Cambodia or Myanmar workers can get a pink ID, its color is a little bit different, and it has English on the top “Non Thai ID Card”, all these are not important. But, I asked my friend who has a Myanmar maid at home, she has the pink ID and entitled to the 30-baht heath care. I asked the officer today if my pink card is entitled to 30-baht health care, he did not know. I hope I can get answer in the future. 

36 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yes. Withdrawing money over the counter, paying bills, depositing money, sending/receiving packages, Thai SS, possible avoidance of farang surcharge at public hsps (NOT verified but has been implied--I just used it to register at one, will re-register at another soon), etc. Good official ID. Nobody's gon' carry around a book, but whipping out the card is easy and Thais like it rather more than a passport for routine stuff. The number fits Thai forms.

Been some long threads about the Yellow Book and pink ID. I assume the rabid anti-Yellow Book brigade will shortly appear (who sneer they "don't need it," though nobody says you do) and the whole thing will be argued again. I had fun getting mine, joked around w/ all the ladies (gave my phone# to one (still waiting), met the Mayor and his cadres, left with smiles and saluted the security guard on the way out.

When you used the pink ID in the state hospital, did you get the same charge as a Thai ? 

37 minutes ago, Mike BKK said:

I asked the officer today if my pink card is entitled to 30-baht health care, he did not know. I hope I can get answer in the future. 

No, not the 30-baht. Thais only.

19 minutes ago, Mike BKK said:

When you used the pink ID in the state hospital, did you get the same charge as a Thai ? 

I haven't used it yet but am preparing to do so, having soon registered at 2 hsps w/ the card. Now I have the impression, perhaps wrongly, that not all all public hsps add a foreigner surcharge anyway, but evidently at least some do. That would be a good question for the Health forum.

My first little test will be at the dental clinic. I'm going to be looking for any signs mentioning the surcharge. I'll try it again w/ anything that comes up as long as it's not too major. For that I'd use Thai SS at my hospital of choice, Sirikit. Sirikit is rather far from home in Pattaya, however. It definitely applies a foreigner surcharge to those not covered under Thai SS.

14 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

is your name printed in Thai?

I heard this can help with Thai computer systems that cant process non Thai fonts.

like a small hospital out in the middle of no where. 

Yes. Ain't no English on that card. It does use Western numbers, however. ???? A good thing about it is that it has the definitive, official, verified Thai spelling of your name. Can be pronounced and typed in easily. You'll have a consistent Thai spelling everywhere it's used--otherwise, your name in Thai ends up being spelled differently here & there.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mike BKK said:

I went to our country hospital to get some Tramadol. I had previously registered using my pink card. I had to see the doctor to explain why I wanted Tramadol (bad back). Was charged 30 baht for 30 tablets!

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I went to our country hospital to get some Tramadol. I had previously registered using my pink card. I had to see the doctor to explain why I wanted Tramadol (bad back). Was charged 30 baht for 30 tablets!

Thanks Chris, good to know it ! I will try it in the state hospital of the district indicated in my blue house registration booklet. 

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yes. Ain't no English on that card. It does use Western numbers, however. ???? A good thing about it is that it has the definitive, official, verified Thai spelling of your name. Can be pronounced and typed in easily. You'll have a consistent Thai spelling everywhere it's used--otherwise, your name in Thai ends up being spelled differently here & there.

Yes thats right, but name in Thai script also becomes the reason its often not excepted for airline check- in or operating an English name bank account, the booking/account name is in English and a "name in English" ID is required.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yes. Withdrawing money over the counter, paying bills, depositing money, sending/receiving packages, Thai SS, possible avoidance of farang surcharge at public hsps (NOT verified but has been implied--I just used it to register at one, will re-register at another soon), etc. Good official ID. Nobody's gon' carry around a book, but whipping out the card is easy and Thais like it rather more than a passport for routine stuff. The number fits Thai forms.

Been some long threads about the Yellow Book and pink ID. I assume the rabid anti-Yellow Book brigade will shortly appear (who sneer they "don't need it," though nobody says you do) and the whole thing will be argued again. I had fun getting mine, joked around w/ all the ladies (gave my phone# to one (still waiting), met the Mayor and his cadres, left with smiles and saluted the security guard on the way out.

This is true up to a point but my experience has been that bank officials will still ask to see a passport if a the pink card is offered.They shouldn't really but it's taking time for the pink card to be understood.

On a slightly different tack:

"I had fun getting mine, joked around w/ all the ladies (gave my phone# to one (still waiting), met the Mayor and his cadres, left with smiles and saluted the security guard on the way out."

This is exactly the kind of experience that I try to avoid in dealing with officialdom.In a recent thread on PR I mentioned that there are people who actually enjoy this kind of time wasting capering around with low level bureaucrats.I would rather stab myself in the head.It takes all sorts.

• Like 2