Pink ID

9 hours ago, Susco said:

As I said the pink id card has the same benefits as a yellow tabien baan, confirming your address, so it replaces the need for a certificate of residence when dealing with the government.

You need to have a yellow tabien baan to apply for a pink card

Foreigners who hold Thai Permanent Residence (PR) are also eligible to receive the pink ID card.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thai officials can be very different in different districts

We have a district "man" that decided I do not have enough grounds to get a yellow book. With everyone at the district shaking because the "man" is as close friend of a local specific minister.

Immigration was at a loss for words expecting me to have a copy of my yellow book on my next NON O visa, and urged us to take it further.

Made several complaints to my provincial office and the Bangkok office in writing but did not help. I went to the district office 4 times with me being shot down. A recorded conversation (my wife went undercover with her phone) broke the ice. I was begged to come in to do the documentation and got that book and the "pinkie" after six month of BS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I used it for opening bank accounts and registering at the state hospitals. Handier and more safer to carry around than a passport.

At the bank, did You need your passport as well? 

Edited by Neeranam

10 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

A yellow house book.

But that alone can be used as a certificate of residence to buy vehicles or renew driving licences etc.

The pink ID card can be used instead of a passport when mailing things EMS, but perhaps just a Thai driving license can too. 

Ran into a snag trying to mail something within Thailand. Both Kerry Express and the post office wanted my passport and not my Pink ID card. I was told it was no good both places. Made me scratch my head because prior to Covid it was never an issue.

9 hours ago, Mike BKK said:

Today I learned a lot from all of you, just a little thing I found today in the district office. I saw the Cambodia or Myanmar workers can get a pink ID, its color is a little bit different, and it has English on the top “Non Thai ID Card”, all these are not important. But, I asked my friend who has a Myanmar maid at home, she has the pink ID and entitled to the 30-baht heath care. I asked the officer today if my pink card is entitled to 30-baht health care, he did not know. I hope I can get answer in the future. 

Yes, farang can now, since 2016, be recognized officially as non-Thais. It is written in Thai on the front of the card. 

The 30 baht scheme is for Thai citizens only. 

Migrant workers have to take out insurance, paying approx 2000 baht a year, which is a lot for them. The insurance they get doesn't cover HIV, mental disorders, drug/alcohol illnesses. 

9 hours ago, Mike BKK said:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

"I had fun getting mine, joked around w/ all the ladies (gave my phone# to one (still waiting), met the Mayor and his cadres, left with smiles and saluted the security guard on the way out."

This is exactly the kind of experience that I try to avoid in dealing with officialdom.In a recent thread on PR I mentioned that there are people who actually enjoy this kind of time wasting capering around with low level bureaucrats.I would rather stab myself in the head.It takes all sorts.

Merely the Thai equivalent of small talk, and having a sense of humor helps immensely as it often does for a farang in Thailand. It's going to take about the same amount of time anyway or possibly even less. Though you do obviously take yourself very seriously, I suspect that your time isn't nearly so precious as you think it is.

As it's a task, I figure it might as well be pleasant for all involved.

Now you may, as so many here, prefer to sit there and steam, bore yourself, nitpick, squawk, whinge and play the drama queen posting here about your horrific struggles complete with the obligatory superior "solutions." And I suppose that assuring oneself of one's innate superiority to mere low level bureaucrats--and to so many other inferiors, no?--may be of some comfort, Your Lordship. Me, I dare regard them as fellow humans trying to their miserable jobs, however imperfectly, and "there but for the grace . . . " etc. Up 2 u; but I have a smile looking back and I do enjoy (well, slightly, as these things go) pulling out my card when I can.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It's the Thai equivalent of small talk, and having a sense of humor helps immensely as it often does for a farang in Thailand. It's going to take about the same amount of time anyway or possibly even less. Though you do obviously take yourself very seriously, I suspect that your time isn't nearly so precious as you think it is.

Now you may, as so many here, prefer to sit there and steam, bore yourself, nitpick, squawk, whinge and play the drama queen posting here about your horrific struggles complete with the obligatory superior "solutions." And I suppose that enjoying haughty self-assurance in one's innate superiority to mere low level bureaucrats--and to so many other inferiors, no?--may be of some comfort, Your Lordship. Me, I dare regard them as fellow humans trying to their miserable jobs, however imperfectly, and "there but for the grace . . . " etc. Up 2 u; but I have a smile looking back and I do enjoy (well, slightly, as these things go) pulling out my card when I can.

Not sure why I have the image of Crusty the clown in my head. 

32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This says it all :cheesy:

Think so?:cheesy:

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure why I have the image of Crusty the clown in my head. 

Helps, doesn't it? Enjoy that. Parenthetically, I'd say that if you don't enjoy and take advantage of Thai joking around, which they're always doing among themselves. you're missing a part of the culture.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Merely the Thai equivalent of small talk, and having a sense of humor helps immensely as it often does for a farang in Thailand. It's going to take about the same amount of time anyway or possibly even less. Though you do obviously take yourself very seriously, I suspect that your time isn't nearly so precious as you think it is.

Now you may, as so many here, prefer to sit there and steam, bore yourself, nitpick, squawk, whinge and play the drama queen posting here about your horrific struggles complete with the obligatory superior "solutions." And I suppose that assuring oneself of one's innate superiority to mere low level bureaucrats--and to so many other inferiors, no?--may be of some comfort, Your Lordship. Me, I dare regard them as fellow humans trying to their miserable jobs, however imperfectly, and "there but for the grace . . . " etc. Up 2 u; but I have a smile looking back and I do enjoy (well, slightly, as these things go) pulling out my card when I can.

I wasn't criticising your behaviour.I merely remarked that, for me, the less time cavorting pointlessly with junior bureaucrats the better.If you get a kick out of time consuming low level banter, good for you.Politeness is always a good idea though you should probably be aware that the recipients of your bonhomie may be enjoying it rather less than you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I find the pink card extremely useful. Not only is it easier to carry around than tabian ban but it is useful for anything you need to register for that wants an ID number, as it contains a 13 digit unique ID number.  From frequent shopper programs to online electric bill account and  to bank accounts, , very, very helpful. It is not always possible to use passport number instead of 13 digit ID number and even where it is possible in theory, the person you deal with may not know how.

I found a high proportion of the :"foreigner cannot" responses are based on assumption of no ID card and as soon as I produce it the problem vanishes.

Getting one is extremely easy once you have a tabian ban listing and nto possibler without it. The tabian ban, though, can be tough to get and each ampur seems to have their own rules.

Exactly, and thanks so much, Sheryl, for making me aware that the pink card eases the establishment of identity for using Thai SS at the hospital of record. I've found that other hospitals can easily find your record in the gov't database as well.

49 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Politeness is always a good idea though you should probably be aware that the recipients of your bonhomie may be enjoying it rather less than you.

And, m'lord, for your part you needn't be aware that even a low level Thai bureaucrat is perfectly capable of expressing a discouraging formality on the slightest pretext at just any moment. That would in fact be a usual posture to assume, esp w/ a foreigner, in anticipation of language difficulties. So I won't mention it.????

I do find that if the ice is broken at first meeting--if--I get a friendlier reception at subsequent meetings. It's all about getting the best service possible w/ the fewest obstacles, notably any artificial obstacles.

Edited by BigStar

15 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Thanks to my pink ID Card, I know I am 1m80 tall, only 1m78 in my country Belgium.

1m80 tall in Thailand--important!???? Something to think about (Thai instrument calibration) next time you're stopped by the BIB and confronted with a breathalyzer.

I got my pink ID card about 6 months ago and, as others have mentioned, it's been useful but not an absolutely necessary must-have. It's convenient not having to carry your passport around, and was particularly helpful when needing to get a "guest pass" to use the elevator in an office building -- when I had previously tried with my passport, it was a huge hassle and ended up taking a lot of time; but using the pink ID card on a subsequent visit, it just took a few seconds to be entered into the building's computer system. It was also accepted at the Post Office two weeks ago when mailing a package overseas by EMS, and when checking into a hotel. However, when opening a bank account, the clerk also wanted to check my passport. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pawpal said:

was particularly helpful when needing to get a "guest pass" to use the elevator in an office building

Found something of the same when entering the Thai SS office. Had a machine at the stairway for reading ID cards, readily accepted mine, so no need to deal w/ the reception desk and a written record.

33 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Found something of the same when entering the Thai SS office. Had a machine at the stairway for reading ID cards, readily accepted mine, so no need to deal w/ the reception desk and a written record.

Interesting. 

When I took my pink card to the SS to claim my pension, it didn't work.

"....It's convenient not having to carry your passport around..."

I was travelling from my village to XYZ by the public green bus. The bus was stopped and a policeman entered. I showed him the "Pink iD" and he was not happy at all. He asked me for my passport and told me not to show the "Pink iD" the next time. I was asked very intimidating questions. I was thinking at that moment, that this iD is more a burden.  Anybody making similar experiences?

32 minutes ago, Opossum said:

"....It's convenient not having to carry your passport around..."

I was travelling from my village to XYZ by the public green bus. The bus was stopped and a policeman entered. I showed him the "Pink iD" and he was not happy at all. He asked me for my passport and told me not to show the "Pink iD" the next time. I was asked very intimidating questions. I was thinking at that moment, that this iD is more a burden.  Anybody making similar experiences?

I've only ever been asked for ID three times, but unlike you report, my pink card has always been accepted without question. Twice I've been stopped on the way home to Chonburi at about 2am. The other time was at a normal daytime roadside check in Bangkok. My card was never even queried and recognised straight away. Were you perhaps in a more remote part of Thailand, where maybe that officer had not even seen a pink card before?  

Edited by john terry1001

• 7 months later...

As a lot of us are now finding out, it is IMPOSSIBLE to register for vaccination through the MOR PROM app without a PINK CARD, but the requirement for having a Yellow Book in order to apply for a Pink Card is very confusing to me, and worse, the requirements seem to vary from one Amphoe to another.

Can someone offer some specific advice on the following, and pertaining specifically to Banglamung amphoe:

My most pressing question:  Since a Yellow Book seems to be a requirement for a Pink Card, as a renter can I meet this requirement?  I have heard that in certain Amphoes, renters are excluded from getting a Yellow Book.

• The requirement for a Yellow Book is very confusing to me.  My landlord is a foreigner, yet he has a BLUE BOOK for the condo that I am renting from him.  I am guessing this is the same thing as a "Tabien Baan" but not sure.

He tells me that my name is not listed on it, and in fact,  even his own name is not even listed on it...so I have to wonder, why is the "book" (whatever color) even a requirement for getting a Pink Card.

• Could I assume a copy of my lease agreement along with the landlord’s ID and own blue Tabien Baan would allow me to get a Yellow Book?  If so, where would I go to apply for the Yellow Book? 

• If you have any specific tips or guidelines for getting the Yellow Book and Pink Card, please let me know.

• Specific location details on offices I need to visit to do both of these things would be appreciated.

Again this is for Banglamung amphoe.

Edited by WaveHunter

9 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

As a lot of us are now finding out, it is IMPOSSIBLE to register for vaccination through the MOR PROM app without a PINK CARD, but the requirement for having a Yellow Book in order to apply for a Pink Card is very confusing to me, and worse, the requirements seem to vary from one Amphoe to another.

Can someone offer some specific advice on the following, and pertaining specifically to Banglamung amphoe:

My most pressing question:  Since a Yellow Book seems to be a requirement for a Pink Card, as a renter can I meet this requirement?  I have heard that in certain Amphoes, renters are excluded from getting a Yellow Book.

• The requirement for a Yellow Book is very confusing to me.  My landlord is a foreigner, yet he has a BLUE BOOK for the condo that I am renting from him.  I am guessing this is the same thing as a "Tabien Baan" but not sure.

He tells me that my name is not listed on it, and in fact,  even his own name is not even listed on it...so I have to wonder, why is the "book" (whatever color) even a requirement for getting a Pink Card.

• Could I assume a copy of my lease agreement along with the landlord’s ID and own blue Tabien Baan would allow me to get a Yellow Book?  If so, where would I go to apply for the Yellow Book? 

• If you have any specific tips or guidelines for getting the Yellow Book and Pink Card, please let me know.

• Specific location details on offices I need to visit to do both of these things would be appreciated.

Again this is for Banglamung amphoe.

Go to pattaya city hall on pattaya nua

See document requirements below

yellow.jpg

15 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The requirement for a Yellow Book is very confusing to me.  My landlord is a foreigner, yet he has a BLUE BOOK for the condo that I am renting from him.  I am guessing this is the same thing as a "Tabien Baan" but not sure.

I think he would need to get the yellow house book first. And then you could be listed as a resident in it.

just go to your Municipal (with Thai Translator), find out if they will do it and what they want.

expect process to be VERY difficult and time- consuming (as mine was) for zero material benefit

pointless applying western ideas of fairness, logic & customer service 

combined with multiple forum statements and questions getting you nowhere........

suggest also to forget govt vax schemes, they are not for us here mate.

Use Private Hospital ........

21 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

As a lot of us are now finding out, it is IMPOSSIBLE to register for vaccination through the MOR PROM app without a PINK CARD

Foreigners with pink ID card also can't register anymore, at least through the Line "app". Probably because it's only meant for Thais, and if a foreigner has an appointment the chance that he just gets turned away (because "no foreigners") when going to the appointment is quite high.

23 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Could I assume a copy of my lease agreement along with the landlord’s ID and own blue Tabien Baan would allow me to get a Yellow Book?  If so, where would I go to apply for the Yellow Book? 

You don't understand how house books work, yet.

The house books (blue/yellow) belong to the house (condo). People who live at the house get registered in the book (foreigners in the yellow).

So it's not you who is going to apply for the yellow book, but your landlord has to apply for the yellow book and can have you registered in it.