Pattaya: Mayor promises "Beauty, Order and Convenience" as Beach Road makeover takes shape

webfact

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya's strongarm mayor Sontaya Khunpluem is determined to make Pattaya a beautiful place for tourists and residents of all ages and descriptions. 

:cheesy: x a million.

Every project that was created by city hall ( Third Road, sewage plant by Walking Street, marina, car park building by Bali Hi, beach walkway ) has been a disaster for Pattaya. Even the ones they didn't create but allowed were disasters like the derelict building near Bali Hi, and turning the promenade to the lighthouse into a boat park.

I don't expect anything to change.

To use the well worn phrase- can't turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kg1947 said:

1/ Get rid of Motobike for RENT occupying the street and preventing tourists from parking along the Beach Rd. 

2/ Add more garbage containers, keep them clean, empty them 3x /day instead of 1x /day plus 2nd full shift of street & sidewalk cleaners .

3/ Stop vendors from driving their motobike on the walkway / foot path .

4/ Keep a tow truck & ready to haul away any vehicle that misuse the road .

5/ Uniformed patrol must " ENFORCE the LAW "  .....

Some of us know that all the things you don't like are part of the rich fabric of Thailand which is why we prefer Thailand to the <deleted> country we left. One wonders .......................................................?

I prefer LOS with rent bikes occupying pavements to the PC over regulated place I call "home".

Tourists don't normally have cars anyway so it doesn't affect them.

BTW, I'd ban private cars altogether, which would fix the parking problem.

5 hours ago, waders123 said:

Consider a overhead tram along Beach Road in Pattaya.  Pedestrians area only below the tram.   Convert the existing Beach Road into a long grassed park that is well lighted and open.  Folks can picnic and walk the Beach Road strip as well as take the overhead tram.  It could benefit the locals, (business and public alike), the tourists would love it.  With a little imagination the area could be a visually pleasing and desirable destination to enjoy your day.  

That's not Pattaya, that's Utopia. I doubt that happens anywhere, but I'll accept photos as evidence it does.

9 hours ago, fraggleRock said:

Well considering they cant even make a straigh pathway without snapping your ankles, I would not hold out... never seen a single wheelchair user in 12 years of living all over Thailand, mainly Bangkok...

A friend of mine from the UK, someone I was at school with, had polio as a young child and was crippled. Later in life he went on to travel the world in a wheelchair and, among other things, he was able to go on the Great Wall of China. He also visited Bangkok, and said it was by far the worst place he had ever been for wheelchair users.

• Like 1

Bring back the raffia covered beach shelters, at least they made the beach look presentable, like an exotic, tropical beach, not like any other umbrella infested beach anywhere in the world, even if the vendors couldn't make as much money from them.

15 hours ago, CaptainCarrot said:

He should get it all completed just in time for the monorail contractors to come along and destroy most of it during their building work. Toilets in the stations would be joined-up thinking.

If they didn't put toilets in Skytrain stations one is dreaming to imagine they would in Pattaya. Not only a lack of brain cells in Pattaya though, the London authorities have closed most of the public loos in a city that sees millions more tourists than Pattaya ever will- they are absolute <deleted><deleted>.

1 minute ago, Dionigi said:

Bring back the raffia covered beach shelters, at least they made the beach look presentable, like an exotic, tropical beach, not like any other umbrella infested beach anywhere in the world, even if the vendors couldn't make as much money from them.

You really are going back there.

However at that time Pattaya was a thousand times more enjoyable than now, so just putting up some thatched roofed shelters isn't going to make it more sanuk.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they didn't put toilets in Skytrain stations one is dreaming to imagine they would in Pattaya. Not only a lack of brain cells in Pattaya though, the London authorities have closed most of the public loos in a city that sees millions more tourists than Pattaya ever will- they are absolute <deleted><deleted>.

They are trying to attract Chinese visitors.....no need for loos.

1 minute ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

laced with drunks, prostitutes, homeless people and stray dogs...Pattaya beach front is an absolute disgrace. You could become ill just walking down that pitful dump.

Pattaya beach front was part of the rich fabric of LOS which is why most of prefer it to the over regulated PC desert we came from.

I do wonder why some stay in LOS if they despise it so much.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 8:51 AM, webfact said:

He told the media that Pattaya must be "greened" as much as possible to make it look highly acceptable and be fit for purpose.

Anyone else pick up on that subtle nuance there? The mayor says it only has to 'look' highly acceptable, etc., etc..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1