Amnesty Extension

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That was something stated by a deputy spokesman for immigration. It might be the same one that said there would be no amnesty extension the last time it was extended.

If you read closely what he said is only quoting what is written in the immigration act and the ministerial order for overstays done in 2016.

The 150k still here without extension might be enough to push through another extension or a new ministerial notice allowing for special extensions.

We'll know by tomorrow right?  ???? 

On 9/21/2020 at 7:55 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure but I would think an appointment would not be needed since you are not applying for an extension.

They just have to check for the approval and do your extension stamp.

The October 5th date is just the estimated date your application can be completed by. It can be earlier or later. The stamp allows you to stay until if is approved. You could even go earlier or a day or so late and it would not be a problem.

thank you very much.
Yes, will try going without an appointment as you suggested as the pressure to leave the country within this week is now lifted.
Still, I do hope the rest of the tourists who were unable to obtain a visa letter and subsequent extension do get some reprieve from the government.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

That was something stated by a deputy spokesman for immigration. It might be the same one that said there would be no amnesty extension the last time it was extended.

If you read closely what he said is only quoting what is written in the immigration act and the ministerial order for overstays done in 2016.

The 150k still here without extension might be enough to push through another extension or a new ministerial notice allowing for special extensions.

in your opinion do you think we will hear something today?

5 hours ago, Pravda said:

There are reports from yesterday that now Muang Thong Thani office is a nightmare. I assume Chaeng Watthana is going to be the same. 

CW should be fine because the difficult cases are all directed to MTT to begin with. CW isn't handling those anymore.

I believe the intention is to remove the majority of tourists this month who really should have returned to their home countries by now, and then announce something new after 26 September for those tourists still legally here on extension letters. Perhaps they'll be offered the option of buying a new 90 day STV.  Those still here illegally are going to be bolstering the government coffers with some large fines.

Edited by Promula
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

Now its 2 days more to 26th... Would u think they will have a sudden amnesty extension 

8 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I wonder if Thailand will be the only country that forces people out during this pandemic.

In the EU, I believe Schengen visa holders have until the end of September to leave. Tourists in Malaysia have until the end of the year. Costa Rica apparently just extended its visa amnesty until the end of March 2021, and their borders have been open for some time!

Edited by tabbycat

17 minutes ago, Promula said:

I believe the intention is to remove the majority of tourists this month who really should have returned to their home countries by now, and then announce something new after 26 September for those tourists still legally here on extension letters. Perhaps they'll be offered the option of buying a new 90 day STV.  Those still here illegally are going to be bolstering the government coffers with some large fines.

Not a bad call. Assuming for most tourists who have used their embassy letter, that it won't just be their last extension - things won't magically go back to normal back home over the next 30 days, hence they'll probably show up at immigration again with the same letter hoping for another month (and so on). The logical way to proceed is to give them the option of buying an STV sometime in October, considering they've been in the country since atleast March and are COVID-free. This would give them until Jan 2021 and who knows how things will be then. You can't often associate logic with the people in charge of making these decisions though..

Edited by tabbycat

8 minutes ago, superatoz said:

Now its 2 days more to 26th... Would u think they will have a sudden amnesty extension 

That's insane. Won't people have left by then. It's quite risky to stay here on overstay hoping for some special extension... when all the while this has been known since last few months that borders are closed and such. That being said I've already made arrangements to leave and even if government backtracks, things are paid for and I wont be able to cancel and halt my plans. 

8 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

Not a bad call. Assuming for most tourists who have used their embassy letter, that it won't just be their last extension - things won't magically go back to normal back home over the next 30 days, hence they'll probably show up at immigration again with the same letter hoping for another month (and so on). The logical way to proceed is to give them the option of buying an STV sometime in October, considering they've been in the country since atleast March and are COVID-free. This would give them until Jan 2021 and who knows how things will be then. You can't often associate logic with the people in charge of making these decisions though..

It would make sense. Instead of having to turn up with an embassy letter for a 30 day extension, they could turn up with proof of three months of pre-paid accommodation or something similar as a means test to getting a 90 day STV. That should help to weed out those working illegally to fund their "tourism". 

Edited by Promula

Not sure if this relates to what's being discussed, but at CW today I was given my TV extension through Oct. 21 only—at which time I'd have to return to get a stamp for the final week. No paperwork or additional payments needed.

I and a few other people were arguing the reasoning, but they were not budging at all.

...Or is this just another nonsensical, short-sighted decision by immigration officials for no real reason?

3 hours ago, allencraig said:

Not sure if this relates to what's being discussed, but at CW today I was given my TV extension through Oct. 21 only—at which time I'd have to return to get a stamp for the final week. No paperwork or additional payments needed.

I and a few other people were arguing the reasoning, but they were not budging at all.

...Or is this just another nonsensical, short-sighted decision by immigration officials for no real reason?

Isn't this just the consideration stamp which seems to be the normal procedure for most of these extensions?

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Very speculative and unlikely. Only visas 'sold' in Thailand are the conversion of an entry (TV or Exempt) to non-Imm-O, and Elite.

These are unusual times. With people unable to travel on to neighbouring countries and return later with a tourist visa, it makes sense for immigration to take over and sell the visas that the nearby embassies and consulates normally sell. They're going to have little else to do soon with comparatively few foreigners left in the country.

Edited by Promula
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I wonder if Thailand will be the only country that forces people out during this pandemic.

No, not the only country in the world.  A few countries already have done it.  Thailand will however be the only country in SE asia to force people out.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Promula said:

These are unusual times. With people unable to travel on to neighbouring countries and return later with a tourist visa, it makes sense for immigration to take over and sell the visas that the nearby embassies and consulates normally sell. They're going to have little else to do soon with comparatively few foreigners left in the country.

As I stated, very unlikely. The rumours relating to the proposed STV already seem to preclude that. What you talk of is Extensions on Permission to Stay rather than Visas. Far from the object behind the STV (if there is any at all).

So having got my tourist visa extended & judging by my years of life experience in Bangkok, with this amnesty now certain to end on Saturday I have no doubt that police will eventually start doing random checks on people who even look like foreigners, asking them to produce their passport on the spot to prove their legal status (similar to the BKK Shakedown a few years ago. "no passport? how about you head to the ATM and get some cash out then, and we'll forget this ever happened").

Yes, as a tourist you're expected to have your passport on you at all times, but anyone with half a brain would know it's extremely stupid to be carrying it with you if you're out for a drink late at night or going shopping somewhere in a crowded place.

I carry a photocopy of my passport at all times in my wallet, in a scenario where there were to be a random spot check, would this be sufficient?

Edited by tabbycat

the idea of having to leave, while you are covid19 free, have the money & desire to stay, but out of options and then coming back and getting into expensive quarantine while you have been staying put virus free for the last 6 months is ... well .... magical Thailand only

next: will you be one of the 1200 chosen one's that can enter the country ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tabbycat said:

You really think the "stranded" tourists can afford the costs for the STV? 15 days stay at a 5 star hotel incl. the costs for covid-19 tests etc etc + the need to stay in Thailand at least 90 days. They also have to show proof of funds for at least 90 days. I know of many stranded tourists in my neighborhood, and they're not big spenders. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You really think the "stranded" tourists can afford the costs for the STV? 15 days stay at a 5 star hotel incl. the costs for covid-19 tests etc etc + the need to stay in Thailand at least 90 days. I know of many stranded tourists in my neighborhood, and they're not big spenders. 

..... why would "stranded" tourists pay for COVID-19 tests and ASQ when they're COVID-free and already in the country, since atleast March if not earlier?

In this scenario, all that would apply from the STV for these people would be the fact that they can get a 90 day extension (split over 30x3).

Edited by tabbycat
  • Like 1