Amnesty Extension

8 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

the idea of having to leave, while you are covid19 free, have the money & desire to stay, but out of options and then coming back and getting into expensive quarantine while you have been staying put virus free for the last 6 months is ... well .... magical Thailand only

next: will you be one of the 1200 chosen one's that can enter the country ?

Many options were given but you need to pay to plan and no more border runs. It's up to you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You really think the "stranded" tourists can afford the costs for the STV? 15 days stay at a 5 star hotel incl. the costs for covid-19 tests etc etc + the need to stay in Thailand at least 90 days. They also have to show proof of funds for at least 90 days. I know of many stranded tourists in my neighborhood, and they're not big spenders. 

A bunch of the guys I know here on amnesty are guys 40 and under who do remote work that go out and spend 10k a night 4 nights a week partying. They all easily could afford this stuff. They also live in really nice condos. Not everyone here on amnesty is a broke backpacker staying in a hostel. 

Thing is all of the guys I know have also just paid to get a visa and arent messing with these 30 day letter extensions despite being available.

Edited by lovesthespicy
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

I carry a photocopy of my passport at all times in my wallet, in a scenario where there were to be a random spot check, would this be sufficient?

As long as you also have a copy of your latest permission to stay stamp, almost certainly yes. When people have been hassled in the past, the photocopies have been accepted.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

A bunch of the guys I know here on amnesty are guys 40 and under who do remote work that go out and spend 10k a night 4 nights a week partying. They all easily could afford this stuff. They also live in really nice condos. Not everyone here on amnesty is a broke backpacker staying in a hostel. 

Thing is all of the guys I know have also just paid to get a visa and arent messing with these 30 day letter extensions despite being available.

and people wonder why thai authorities don't want them here anymore

Edited by GeorgeCross

13 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

No, not the only country in the world.  A few countries already have done it.  Thailand will however be the only country in SE asia to force people out.

People are gradually being forced out of the Philippines.  Tourists can stay in the Philippines for 36 months without exiting the country. Some single guys that chose to retire in the Philippines on tourist visa extensions are now having to leave the country as they reach their 36 month limit. 

The American in the video left the Philippines after 36 months and chose to go Turkey.  He still has an apartment in the Philippines even though he doesn't know when he can return.

https://youtu.be/BriCr9qm_zk

1 hour ago, tabbycat said:

So having got my tourist visa extended & judging by my years of life experience in Bangkok, with this amnesty now certain to end on Saturday I have no doubt that police will eventually start doing random checks on people who even look like foreigners, asking them to produce their passport on the spot to prove their legal status (similar to the BKK Shakedown a few years ago. "no passport? how about you head to the ATM and get some cash out then, and we'll forget this ever happened").

Yes, as a tourist you're expected to have your passport on you at all times, but anyone with half a brain would know it's extremely stupid to be carrying it with you if you're out for a drink late at night or going shopping somewhere in a crowded place.

I carry a photocopy of my passport at all times in my wallet, in a scenario where there were to be a random spot check, would this be sufficient?

I think this is fear mongering.

Yet, on my phone, I have pictures from my passport I hope will cover me.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

That should be sufficient, but - where applicable - with following info:

- Passport-ID page;

- Original Visa on which you last entered the country;

- Last permission to stay stamp (provided by border-immigration or local IO);

- Front/back of TM-6 entry/departure card

To complete things > copy of upcoming 90-day appointment page

1 hour ago, tabbycat said:

..... why would "stranded" tourists pay for COVID-19 tests and ASQ when they're COVID-free and already in the country, since atleast March if not earlier?

In this scenario, all that would apply from the STV for these people would be the fact that they can get a 90 day extension (split over 30x3).

One of the STV requirements is to stay at least 90 days, not 3x 30 days, another one is to have money, they don't want any cheap charlies with a back pack and they need to show proof of funds, proper funds, not just enough to afford fried rice, water and fruit every day. The whole idea with the STV is to bring in loads of money for at least 90 days. That's why they have said that the ASQ-hotels will be 5 star hotels. The "stranded" tourists you're talking about can barely afford a 2 star hotel. They won't help the economy one bit and that's the only purpose for the STV. 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not necessarily fearmongering. A while back, there were reports of random stops by police in Thonglor. I expect these to happen again, especially after end of amnesty.

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Original Visa on which you last entered the country;

That would be a Re-Entry Permit, original visa is in an old passport. Have a copy of the stamp and TM6.

I would really be surprised to be asked for proof of doing my 90 day report.

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That should be sufficient, but - where applicable - with following info:

- Passport-ID page;

- Original Visa on which you last entered the country;

- Last permission to stay stamp (provided by border-immigration or local IO);

- Front/back of TM-6 entry/departure card

To complete things > copy of upcoming 90-day appointment page

Old TM6 cards have only a front page. 

Have a question to Ubonjoe... Got my permission of stay until 15.10 (under consideration). It should apparently be prolonged until 25-26.10. Will I be able to get the Volunteer visa while being "under consideration"? Or immediately after I get another stamp on 15.10? Thank you.

31 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Tourists can stay in the Philippines for 36 months without exiting the country. Some single guys that chose to retire in the Philippines on tourist visa extensions are now having to leave the country as they reach their 36 month limit.

wow - 3 years without ever leaving the country on a tourist visa? And all the extensions are legit?
I thought South-American countries were generous, but 3 years on a tourist visa without leaving the country is a lot!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Have a question to Ubonjoe... Got my permission of stay until 15.10 (under consideration). It should apparently be prolonged until 25-26.10. Will I be able to get the Volunteer visa while being "under consideration"? Or immediately after I get another stamp on 15.10? Thank you.

I've asked a few agents this and they're happy to help extend but told me to come back only when the second stamp is received. They're unable to do anything without it.

Might be difficult though if your 'under consideration' is until like the 21st or later (like many others) because the Non-O needs some time left on your visa to be processed by most agents (even under the table), but you may be fine if you head to the agent that same day (on the 15th) as long as they're aware of/expecting you

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Not necessarily fearmongering. A while back, there were reports of random stops by police in Thonglor. I expect these to happen again, especially after end of amnesty.

Thonglor police is the worst of the bunch, and unfortunately they have jurisdiction over most of Sukhumvit too. I have no doubt they'll restart this practice perhaps after a little bit of downtime after amnesty is over, just when people start to get lax and think they'll be OK overstaying.

Hell, I thought the Bangkok shakedown was only a 2014-15 thing but turns out these scum tried to pull off the same 'drug test' extortion scheme as recently as December last year. I personally know people who've had to p!ss with bystanders watching in the middle of Sukhumvit, and am shocked at how they just stood there & got humiliated as I certainly wouldn't have that same level of patience if they asked me to do it.

Edited by tabbycat

10 minutes ago, bjaz said:

wow - 3 years without ever leaving the country on a tourist visa? And all the extensions are legit?
I thought South-American countries were generous, but 3 years on a tourist visa without leaving the country is a lot!

The Philippines are probably happy to have any longstayers at all after the US Navy were told to leave many years ago. If your living in the wrong place, you'll be lucky to survive 3 years. 

48 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Being frog-marched to an ATM seems a bit much.... I don't want to bring up a much argued point but having your passport on you is not obligatory.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Being frog-marched to an ATM seems a bit much.... I don't want to bring up a much argued point but having your passport on you is not obligatory.

Maybe so. But who's got the last word...you and I, or a uniformed officer with a badge?  With your passport on hand, you'd be on your way. Prefer that rather than be marched down to the police station to spend a few hours arguing your case that you understand THEIR laws better than they do. Maybe you'll walk....but, is it worth the hassle if you could have just carried your passport like what is officially expected?

Edited by audaciousnomad

1 minute ago, audaciousnomad said:

Maybe so. But who's got the last word...you and I, or a uniformed officer with a badge?  With your passport on hand, you'd be on your way. Prefer that rather than be marched down to the police station to spend a few hours arguing your case that you understand THEIR laws better than they do. Maybe you'll walk....but, is it worth the hassle if you could have just carried your passport like what is officially expected?

There was confirmation around the time of the previous shakedowns being reported on BKK Post/Thai media, even from Thonglor police directly, that it's OK if you don't carry your passport with you *as long as* you have a copy of your passport photo page and visa/entry stamp. A scan on your phone might be sufficient if the cop is having a good day but yes, absolutely no harm making a double-sided photocopy and keeping that in your wallet at all times.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bjaz said:
1 hour ago, SEtonal said:

Tourists can stay in the Philippines for 36 months without exiting the country. Some single guys that chose to retire in the Philippines on tourist visa extensions are now having to leave the country as they reach their 36 month limit.

Keep in mind that you have to extend it every couple of months.  And the fees add up to about 15,000 baht a year.  So they aren't really being generous.

1 minute ago, audaciousnomad said:

Maybe so. But who's got the last word...you and I, or a uniformed officer with a badge?  With your passport on hand, you'd be on your way. Better that then be marched down to the police station to spend a few hours arguing your case that you understand THEIR laws better than they do. Maybe you'll walk....but, is it worth the hassle if you could have just carried your passport like what is officially expected?

Never have done, lived here many years. Prefer to keep it locked away safe and sound. I do chuck it in the glove box when driving some distance and/or if I will be checking into a hotel

There has been some claim that standing up to these guys (despite THEM having the gun) makes them back down and move on... and I did that when some were falsely trying to stick me with a speeding claim... and was quite surprised it works!

I don't wander around Thonglor much, but did so about a month ago, passport in hotel room safe.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Keep in mind that you have to extend it every couple of months.  And the fees add up to about 15,000 baht a year.  So they aren't really being generous.

About 500THB/month....not bad compared with 1900THB.  Sounds generous to me, especially if this can be done without having to "visa run" which adds much more time/expense.

2 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

So, thats 40 000 Baht a week on going out , 160 000 Baht per month , Condo 40 000 a month .

200 000 Baht per month on that alone .

They would need to be earning 250 000 Baht per month .

What work do they do ?

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

So, thats 40 000 Baht a week on going out , 160 000 Baht per month , Condo 40 000 a month .

200 000 Baht per month on that alone .

They would need to be earning 250 000 Baht per month .

What work do they do ?

I think he over reacts but for remote IT jobs earning 100-120K baht minimum is quite normal. If owning the business or also having something on the side that could easily add up to 160-200K baht. Yeah it is not millions who earn that but there are quite a lot out here in Thailand.

Like a 4-5 year experienced Python programmer might easily earn 2K baht per hour, which adds up to 320K a month. Many have off shore setups or Estonian e-residency / Bulgarian setups with tax of maximum 10% only.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I think he over reacts but for remote IT jobs earning 100-120K baht minimum is quite normal. If owning the business or also having something on the side that could easily add up to 160-200K baht. Yeah it is not millions who earn that but there are quite a lot out here in Thailand.

So why are you on TVF instead of out their partying? Most can't pay rent and live in dormitories.

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

So why are you on TVF instead of out their partying? Most can't pay rent and live in dormitories.

Your first sentence is even more silly than your previous post. I also guess you confuse digital nomads with actual IT guys and programmers. If you are really that ignorant and hard to believe, you can verify the hourly pay on programming and IT jobs yourself.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I'll give you about 5 pinocchios for that one.

Sigh, ok, I guess that is why there are more rich younger guys than there are crooks in Thailand right now too. Most of them barely can afford more than small beers.

If talking rich crooks in Thailand, those comes for mid term holidays to spend their stolen money and as borders are closed, they are not visiting at the moment.

Edited by ChaiyaTH