DTAC Balance while in America

elgenon

I need to know what my DTAC balance is but most importantly I need to know when my number is due to expire. I am Currently stuck in America.

I went to www.DTAC.co.th and couldn't figure out how to find my number expiration date. So I went to live chat. Didn't understand her reply but dapparently was unable to tell the answer.

Two options seemed to be 1678 which as far as i know i can't call, and https://page.line.me/DTACcallcenter.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that address but I typed it into search and the page that came up gave me the options: chat (which did nothing), posts, and also had 1678

Anyone have helpful advice? I just want to know my balance and when the number expires. And how much I would need to add to add a year might be helpful as well.

If the above link requires a OTP for security and your roaming isn't enabled, this may not work.

Otherwise, download and install the DTAC app. There may also be a need to receive a OTP so if you are in the US and you haven't enabled roaming, this again may not work.

Alternatively, if you have online banking with a Thai bank and have their banking app, you can top up your DTAC number that way. The most economical way to move SIM expiration into next year is to make several, consecutive top-up of the minimum amount. If I am not wrong, each top-up adds 30-days to the SIM validity. Making one large top up will only extend the validity by 30-days.

As far as I know, DTAC and other SIMS may expire if they are not used after a certain amount of time and this is regardless of the balance. The mobile companies don't make any money from a 'stacked' SIM card with a huge unused balance. Therefore if you are successful in topping it up, make a call once a month to keep it alive.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

If you enabled International Roaming before you left, simply put the SIM in a phone and using the keyboard: *101*9# and then hit the Dial key.

If you didn't enable IR, you have a problem. Secondly, if the person at the call centre couldn't tell you your balance, it could be that the validity has already expired.

Instead of 1678, you'll need to call  +662 202 8000 or  0066 2 202 8000. Though I don't understand why you didn't get a clear reply via Live Chat.

You would not necessarily need to top up, you can just utilise; 

DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.

• Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
  • Press : *113*60*9#  for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
  • Press : *113*90*9#  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
  • Press : *113*180*9#  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
  • Conditions: SIM must have been active for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.

But of course you won't be able to do that yourself if you didn't enable IR, so you'll need to ask the person at the call centre to do it, if the SIM is still active.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:08 PM, NanLaew said:

If the above link requires a OTP for security and your roaming isn't enabled, this may not work.

Otherwise, download and install the DTAC app. There may also be a need to receive a OTP so if you are in the US and you haven't enabled roaming, this again may not work.

Alternatively, if you have online banking with a Thai bank and have their banking app, you can top up your DTAC number that way. The most economical way to move SIM expiration into next year is to make several, consecutive top-up of the minimum amount. If I am not wrong, each top-up adds 30-days to the SIM validity. Making one large top up will only extend the validity by 30-days.

As far as I know, DTAC and other SIMS may expire if they are not used after a certain amount of time and this is regardless of the balance. The mobile companies don't make any money from a 'stacked' SIM card with a huge unused balance. Therefore if you are successful in topping it up, make a call once a month to keep it alive.

Thanks for your help. My experience is that as long as my expiration date is extended no phone calls are needed.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:27 PM, Eindhoven said:

If you enabled International Roaming before you left, simply put the SIM in a phone and using the keyboard: *101*9# and then hit the Dial key.

If you didn't enable IR, you have a problem. Secondly, if the person at the call centre couldn't tell you your balance, it could be that the validity has already expired.

Instead of 1678, you'll need to call  +662 202 8000 or  0066 2 202 8000. Though I don't understand why you didn't get a clear reply via Live Chat.

You would not necessarily need to top up, you can just utilise; 

DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.

• Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
  • Press : *113*60*9#  for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
  • Press : *113*90*9#  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
  • Press : *113*180*9#  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
  • Conditions: SIM must have been active for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.

But of course you won't be able to do that yourself if you didn't enable IR, so you'll need to ask the person at the call centre to do it, if the SIM is still active.

I tried putting in the SIM and hitting that number. Didn't work. I guess I need Int'l roaming.

I believe my number is still active. I want to the extend the expiration date before it expires. I returned to the States in January so I should have a year from about then since i always get the max extension before I leave.

I also don't understand why Live Chat didn't work. I tried a couple times.

So I would need to call 2202 8000 on an American SIM because I don't have International Roaming?

On 9/11/2020 at 6:27 AM, Eindhoven said:

Bingo. Leave LOS without international roaming enabled and there's not much you can do other than try to connect to a sympathetic call centre operative in Bangkok. A lot of the English speaking operatives are, in my experience, very professional and helpful. It's your only chance to resolve but, even then, not sure it can be achieved.  

Edited by torturedsole

6 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I tried to download the DTAC app and it requested an American phone number associated with the account.

If you don't have international roaming enabled then you're stuck in a vicious circle. You need roaming enabled to accept a OTP to set up the app in the first place and you can't enable international roaming from outside of LOS because you can't accept the OTP.  Screwed, unfortunately.  

Edited by torturedsole

19 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

If you don't have international roaming enabled then you're stuck in a vicious circle. You need roaming enabled to accept a OTP to set up the app in the first place and you can't enable international roaming from outside of LOS because you can't accept the OTP.  Screwed, unfortunately.  

If my friend in Thailand has the time to call Dtac to add International Roaming what info will they need?

You could try 

FB  https://www.facebook.com/dtac/

Messenger  see link on FB page, lower right, About, they reply quite quickly IME, can provide service. I used this recently to reset my vmail password.

provide your name, phone number, last 4 digits of ID used to register, ask for current balance, expiry, IR to be enabled. Then ask a friend in Thialand to do twelve individual 10 baht top-ups at the orange Boon Term machine in front of every 7/11. Each one adds 30 days, 12 baht with the 2 baht fee, 360 days for 144 baht.

Then install DTAC Call, DTAC App. 

Is there a specific reason or application which requires you to maintain your DTAC number? Or do you just want to keep it alive in case you return to Thailand?

dtacfbmesgr.jpg

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

So I would need to call 2202 8000 on an American SIM because I don't have International Roaming?

011 66 2 202 8100

011 replaces "+", leading zero is dropped.

I think it's free of charge? (Not sure if that works if IR is NOT enabed though.)

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/roaming/preparation.html#:~:text=dtac prepaid customers can contact,any roaming assistant while abroad.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.crie.tron2.android&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling&hl=en

DTAC Call is especially handy, assuming you have WiFi.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

If my friend in Thailand has the time to call Dtac to add International Roaming what info will they need?

Not going to happen; IR needs to be activated whilst the SIM is in Thailand.

Call the call centre on the number shown above and ask them to add validity as I have shown earlier. They can extend it up to the full 365 days each time....if they haven't already done so for you during the live chat.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You could try 

Messenger  see link on FB page, lower right, About, they reply quite quickly IME, can provide service. I used this recently to reset my vmail password.

provide your name, phone number, last 4 digits of ID used to register, ask for current balance, expiry, IR to be enabled. Then ask a friend in Thialand to do twelve individual 10 baht top-ups at the orange Boon Term machine in front of every 7/11. Each one adds 30 days, 12 baht with the 2 baht fee, 360 days for 144 baht.

Is there a specific reason or application which requires you to maintain your DTAC number? Or do you just want to keep it alive in case you return to Thailand?

dtacfbmesgr.jpg

You should really check the posts already made beforehand.

Getting someone in Thailand to top up is an alternative solution, but of course since the OP has no idea of current status, they won't know how much to top up. Though strange that you suggest that as a solution even if IR could be enabled.

Your advice only adds to the OP's  confusion.

Edited by Eindhoven

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

011 66 2 202 8100

011 replaces "+", leading zero is dropped.

I think it's free of charge? (Not sure if that works if IR is NOT enabed though.)

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/roaming/preparation.html#:~:text=dtac prepaid customers can contact,any roaming assistant while abroad.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.crie.tron2.android&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling&hl=en

DTAC Call is especially handy, assuming you have WiFi.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

Of course it isn't free of charge; IR enabled or not. It's not even free of charge if you are inside Thailand: why are you thinking? ????

44 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Of course it isn't free of charge; IR enabled or not.

I've called the DTAC call center when outside of Thailand; it was free of charge. I was using a DTAC prepaid SIM.

It says as much here...  "For Emergency If problem still persists, kindly call +662-202-8100 dtac call center for 24 hour (free of charge when call from dtac and dtac prepaid SIM)."

Yes, this only works if IR is enabled. If calling from your home phone or U.S. mobile then you will pay international long distance fees. Maybe get a calling card, for lower fees, and call during business hours here.

50 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

No need for the ridiculously complicated suggestion of getting someone in Thailand to top up

I manage ~ 6 SIMs for friends who are usually outside of Thailand. Quite easy to top up their numbers at the Boon Term machine. I'd offer to top up the OPs SIM for him.

50 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You should really check the posts already made, before you start giving advice.

Why? Using FB Messenger to make requests has worked for me. While I have never asked to enable IR, there have been reports here in the past that DTAC did enable IR remotely, based on an email request to [email protected]  FB Messenger should work, worth a try. I have used FB Messenger for other DTAC service issues and questions.

54 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Not going to happen; IR needs to be activated whilst the SIM is in Thailand.

I'm not sure this is an accurate statement. Quite sure you can contact DTAC and they can enable IR. It's really just a tick in the record, nothing needs to be communicated to the SIM. Once the tick is in, the negotiation will be confirmed and a local signal granted, usually by T-Mobile or AT&T, in my experience.

The DTAC Call app. is pretty cool as well. With WiFi you make/receive calls/texts just as if you were in Thailand (local rates/calling minutes). I've used that in the U.S. quite often.

Edited by mtls2005

FYI, I sent a note off on the DTAC FB Messenger contact...

My friend has a DTAC pre-paid SIM, He forgot to enable International Roaming before leaving Thailand for the U.S.A. Can International Roaming be enabled remotely?

Reply....

Hello. Yes, we could activate international roaming service for your friend's number.

May I have the number, and below information for profile verification please? 
-What's the Phone model/brand?
-How do you normally refill in past 3 months?
-Did you use Jaidee SOS service in past 7 days?

(34017)

The question about refill in the past 3 months may indicate a potential issue? Some require usage/top-up within a 90-day period, but believe the regulator says the provider needs to keep the number active for at least a year. Maybe they idle the number based on no usage, but it can be re-activated? Just a guess.

Not sure about Jaidee SOS service? https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/jai-dee.html Don't see SOS? Maybe Emergency Refill?

Suggest the OP contacts DTAC using FB Messenger.

If the number is still active, and IR has been enabled, PM me the number and I'll do three 10 baht top-ups.

Also, what is your phone make and model? Are you using it with another service provider currently? We need to make sure it will work with AT&T or T-Mo. (DTAC's partners in the U.S.), and that you have coverage. LTE Band 4 definitely works with T-Mo, and with decent coverage, again IME. Are you in a major urban or suburban area?

Once things get working do install the DTAC app, and the DTAC Call app.

Edited by mtls2005

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I've called the DTAC call center when outside of Thailand; it was free of charge. I was using a DTAC prepaid SIM.

It says as much here...  "For Emergency If problem still persists, kindly call +662-202-8100 dtac call center for 24 hour (free of charge when call from dtac and dtac prepaid SIM)."

Yes, this only works if IR is enabled. If calling from your home phone or U.S. mobile then you will pay international long distance fees. Maybe get a calling card, for lower fees, and call during business hours here.

I manage ~ 6 SIMs for friends who are usually outside of Thailand. Quite easy to top up their numbers at the Boon Term machine. I'd offer to top up the OPs SIM for him.

Why? Using FB Messenger to make requests has worked for me. While I have never asked to enable IR, there have been reports here in the past that DTAC did enable IR remotely, based on an email request to [email protected]  FB Messenger should work, worth a try. I have used FB Messenger for other DTAC service issues and questions.

I'm not sure this is an accurate statement. Quite sure you can contact DTAC and they can enable IR. It's really just a tick in the record, nothing needs to be communicated to the SIM. Once the tick is in, the negotiation will be confirmed and a local signal granted, usually by T-Mobile or AT&T, in my experience.

The DTAC Call app. is pretty cool as well. With WiFi you make/receive calls/texts just as if you were in Thailand (local rates/calling minutes). I've used that in the U.S. quite often.

If it states that it is free with IR switched on, then that's useful info.

What I meant about the Top up suggestion, was that if they could turn on IR, as you suggested earlier, there would be no need for topping up, as he could simply use the USSD codes to extend validity etc.

Of course I would also top up a phone for any member in an emergency. I just meant that it wasn't necessary, in addition, to contacting DTAC, as all could be completed on the initial call. I wasn't disputing the method of contact, as any method of contact that works for the OP is a good idea. I was referring only to the extraneous advice to get a friend to top up in Thailand, on top, of already contacting DTAC via Facebook. No need at they can apply the extra validity days at a cost of 2 baht per 30 days.

Apologies it is looked as if I was disagreeing with all you wrote. Some good advice in there.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

FYI, I sent a note off on the DTAC FB Messenger contact...

My friend has a DTAC pre-paid SIM, He forgot to enable International Roaming before leaving Thailand for the U.S.A. Can International Roaming be enabled remotely?

Reply....

Hello. Yes, we could activate international roaming service for your friend's number.

May I have the number, and below information for profile verification please? 
-What's the Phone model/brand?
-How do you normally refill in past 3 months?
-Did you use Jaidee SOS service in past 7 days?

(34017)

The question about refill in the past 3 months may indicate a potential issue? Some require usage/top-up within a 90-day period, but believe the regulator says the provider needs to keep the number active for at least a year. Maybe they idle the number based on no usage, but it can be re-activated? Just a guess.

Not sure about Jaidee SOS service? https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/jai-dee.html Don't see SOS? Maybe Emergency Refill?

Suggest the OP contacts DTAC using FB Messenger.

If the number is still active, and IR has been enabled, PM me the number and I'll do three 10 baht top-ups.

Also, what is your phone make and model? Are you using it with another service provider currently? We need to make sure it will work with AT&T or T-Mo. (DTAC's partners in the U.S.), and that you have coverage. LTE Band 4 definitely works with T-Mo, and with decent coverage, again IME. Are you in a major urban or suburban area?

Once things get working do install the DTAC app, and the DTAC Call app.

It's labelled as Jai Dee Day Giveaway on that page. But of course he would need IR enabled in order to utilise the service from the USA.

20 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You could try 

dtacfbmesgr.jpg

I have been living in Thailand for 3 months every 3 months.

Thanks for mentioning the ID I used to register as I have a new passport.

17 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

For many people I can call/ message on Line. But sometimes still need a carrier.

17 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

If you could top it up, how would I pay you? Thanks.

If it were me I would contact DTAC and enable IR, also try to determine your current balance and expiry. Then see if they can extend expiry for you. If not try those Jaidee Day Giveaway codes (*113). Assuming you have 12 baht balance then you can extend 180 days. Or you can use the DTAC mobile app to extend expiry, or the web app, https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/login

Once IR is enabled PM your number and I will do three top-ups, then let me know if you recevied those.

Install the DTAC App and the DTAC Call App.

44 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Is there a downside/ additional expense to enable IR?

Well, you'll need to turn mobile data off in the phone (Network, Setttings, etc.) I would also disable within the DTAC network. Always monitor mobile data leakage.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/help/faq/node/1262

You can use the mobile app or the web app to disable/reenable mobile data.

44 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Will I have a problem with renewing at a Dtac shop because my old passport has expired and the new one has a new number?

Renewing? What is meant by that? I mean you could re-register with your new passport, or just carry your old passport. IME, DTAC and banks (and other merchants) need to see the old ID (Passport) before registering the new passport. If you're just topping up then that can be done at a machine or DTAC kisok.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

If you could top it up, how would I pay you? Thanks.

Not that important.

At a Boon Term machine, a 10 baht top-up adds 30 days expiry. And there is a 2 baht service fee (no fee for top-ups of 100 baht or more.)

You can also add value to your account with a credit card, using the mobile app or the web app. Then just buy expiry at 2 baht/30 days.

Maybe once a month send someone an SMS or call them (use DTAC CALL app of course).

All this assumes that your handset supports U.S. frequencies, and that you have coverage. If you have WiFi, and IR is enabled, the the DTAC Call app should suffice (for receiving OTP SMSes).

Or just get a new SIM when you return to Thailand?

Also try to determine your current/default service plan, make sure there is no monthly recurring plan or promotion currently subscribed (voice and/or data).

You can modify your registration using the mobile app.

Edited by mtls2005

Sorry, renewal was the wrong word. Buying a monthly plan when I return.

Yes, my handset is compatible with ATT.

Wouldn't you need my number to enable IR?

I have the sim of an American carrier in my phone so I think I don't have to worry about turning off mobile data.

You would have to tell me you did the top-up then I would put in the Dtac sim and check the expiry.

Do I need to be able to receive OTP and SMS?

24 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Wouldn't you need my number to enable IR?

Sorry for not being crystal clear...You need to contact DTAC via FB to enable IR.

You have to do everything (listed in post #26) first. 

I offered to do three top-ups for you, after you accomplish everything else.

I have the sim of an American carrier in my phone so I think I don't have to worry about turning off mobile data.

If/when you install the DTAC SIM, you should temporarily disable mobile data in the phone, and within DTAC's network. Otherwise you'll burn through any remaining balance.

You would have to tell me you did the top-up then I would put in the Dtac sim and check the expiry.

Nope. You need to first enable IR, then PM me your number.

Do I need to be able to receive OTP and SMS?

Yes. That's the whole point of this thread.

If you don't need to use DTAC why not just wait until you return to Thailand and buy a new SIM?

edited...

PM me your number, I'll do the top-ups now. And leave the rest for you to deal with.

Edited by mtls2005

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Sorry for not being crystal clear...You need to contact DTAC via FB to enable IR.

You have to do everything (listed in post #26) first. 

I offered to do three top-ups for you, after you accomplish everything else.

If/when you install the DTAC SIM, you should disable mobile data, both in the phone, and within DTAC's network.

Nope. You need to first enable IR, then PM me your number.

Yes. That's the whole point of this thread.

If you don't need to use DTAC why not just wait until you return to Thailand and buy a new SIM?

edited...

PM me your number, I'll do the top-ups now. And leave the rest for you to deal with.

The whole point is that I want to keep the same number.

How do I turn off data on the DTAC Network?