Extending DC wire to led strip

I am in a situation where I want to hide the AC DC adaptor and I need the DC wire to be about 1,5 meters long which will ultimately lead to my led strip. I know it's better to extend on the AC side but im not able to hide the adaptor then. What is the best wire to extend DC so the voltage drop is as small as possible? The thicker the better? Won't I be better of just using AC wire then?
Thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it works well definitely one to keep in the list of handy black boxes.

What is the DC voltage and watt rating for the LED strip?  Assuming nothing abnormal for either, you could probably extend with just about any size wire you have on hand (like from an appliance that d

I would not normally get involved with attempts to marry cheap HungLo LED drivers and regular dimmers but in this case I offer a clue as to why your dimmer and driver might not be 100% happy together.

Posted Images

What is the DC voltage and watt rating for the LED strip?  Assuming nothing abnormal for either, you could probably extend with just about any size wire you have on hand (like from an appliance that doesn't work anymore).  The amp rating for wire same for DC as AC for short distance.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

am in a situation where I want to hide the AC DC adaptor and I need the DC wire to be about 1,5 meters long which will ultimately lead to my led strip. I know it's better to extend on the AC side but im not able to hide the adaptor then. What is the best wire to extend DC so the voltage drop is as small as possible? The thicker the better? Won't I be better of just using AC wire then?

Extending on either side by that short a length makes no difference. If your strip is in a fixed location then probably the thinnest easily available, 1.5mm sq, single core will be OK, unless your LED strip is tens/hundreds of metres long. 

There is no such thing as AC wire

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

What is the DC voltage and watt rating for the LED strip?  

12v 6W

17 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is no such thing as AC wire

Lets say I want to use 2.5 sq mm, since I have that available. How do I connect that to the led strip? I saw connectors like the link below, will those fit? Which size do I need?
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/5pcs-2pin-3pin-4pin-5pin-6pin-led-strip-connector-for-rgb-rgbw-rgbww-3528-5050-led-strip-light-wire-connection-terminal-splice5-2pin-3pin-4pin-5pin-6pin-rgb-rgb-w-rgbww-3528-5050-led-strip-s-plice-i892410785-s1795484778.html?

10 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

12v 6W

Lets say I want to use 2.5 sq mm, since I have that available. How do I connect that to the led strip? I saw connectors like the link below, will those fit? Which size do I need?
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/5pcs-2pin-3pin-4pin-5pin-6pin-led-strip-connector-for-rgb-rgbw-rgbww-3528-5050-led-strip-light-wire-connection-terminal-splice5-2pin-3pin-4pin-5pin-6pin-rgb-rgb-w-rgbww-3528-5050-led-strip-s-plice-i892410785-s1795484778.html?

2.5mm is way overkill for the job and not very flexible. If your strip doesn’t have any pigtails on it now none of those will accept 2.5mm. You need a couple of pieces of thin multi core between the strip and your supply cable. But if your going to have to buy something anyway just get enough to go all the way. 0.5mm or 0.25mm will be easily big enough and much easier to deal with than the 2.5mm

if the correct size Connector comes with wires then a wago connector is the easiest way to extend them. 
D7EBFDDC-02B5-43FC-8583-594736C8770E.jpeg.27f001f2f2035beb1b421243772eb192.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

2.5mm is way overkill for the job and not very flexible. If your strip doesn’t have any pigtails on it now none of those will accept 2.5mm. You need a couple of pieces of thin multi core between the strip and your supply cable. But if your going to have to buy something anyway just get enough to go all the way. 0.5mm or 0.25mm will be easily big enough and much easier to deal with than the 2.5mm

Thanks, which connector do you recommend to go with it?

16 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

Lets say I want to use 2.5 sq mm, since I have that available. How do I connect that to the led strip?

^yeah.  It seems like you would just want to splice in to whatever is there now.  IE: cut somewhere (not connected to power, yah) and splice in extension.  You could use the connectors used in auto electronics or even (gulp) twist and tape.  Solder connection would be good if you have.  The type wire used in cars would be good or even lamp cord (only need for 0.5 amp) but 2.5mm2 is way over the top.

Just now, Polarizing said:

Thanks, which connector do you recommend to go with it?

No idea, as I don’t have your strip. The connection depends on the strip. 
personally I would solder the pigtails on, not use a connector on the strip, then I use a wago on to that

this dimmable driver has 4 slots on the dc side compared to my led strip which was connected via 2 wires, what is the best way to convert a two wire led strip to a 4 wire one?I currently have philips 6w led strips

edit: or should i just buy 6 holed wago's and  make it 4 in 2 out? If i correctly understand how the dim driver works, this should work right? 

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10000036267639.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7a874c4dCR4aDA

Edited by Polarizing
3 hours ago, Polarizing said:

this dimmable driver has 4 slots on the dc side compared to my led strip which was connected via 2 wires, what is the best way to convert a two wire led strip to a 4 wire one?I currently have philips 6w led strips

edit: or should i just buy 6 holed wago's and  make it 4 in 2 out? If i correctly understand how the dim driver works, this should work right? 

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10000036267639.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7a874c4dCR4aDA

That driver does NOT work with a conventional mains dimmer!

It is expecting a 0-10V DC dimming signal at the "DIM 0-10V" terminals.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

That driver does NOT work with a conventional mains dimmer!

It is expecting a 0-10V DC dimming signal at the "DIM 0-10V" terminals.

I thought the same until I noticed Triac & 0-10V in the description. The confusing manufacturers website reveals 65-265V AC input 12V DC output.

Chinese trickery. Its possible to take a varying AC supply voltage convert it to a constant DC voltage for a LED strip then vary the modulation of this fixed voltage based on the AC input voltage. The circuit could easily adapt itself to a constant input voltage with 0-10 dimming input.

The result is a hybrid dimmer which attempts to get over the nightmare problems people have using triac dimmers with LED drivers.

Not my idea of the best solution but it could simplify an installation.

• Like 1

fixed, first i had the wires from the dc side in the wrong socket, then i had them reversed in the right socket. Took my multimeter out to see whats up and corrected the wiring! Thanks

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Polarizing said:

fixed, first i had the wires from the dc side in the wrong socket, then i had them reversed in the right socket. Took my multimeter out to see whats up and corrected the wiring! Thanks

Does it work correctly with the mains dimmer?