Extending DC wire to led strip

On 9/14/2020 at 5:08 AM, Crossy said:

A TE-15 should be able to run two of your 7W down lights in series.

The TE-15's finally arrived and I did a test run and they worked. I hooked up 2 leds on series on the transformer. Then I noticed the dip switches and I played around with it a bit. seems like the dip switch with three up (black means up) is the brightest on all levels and when switched 3 down is the dimmest on all levels, which suits my needs more.

However, I wonder WHY it worked since the old (cheap) transformer that came with the leds were rated 18-23V, 240-280 mA, per led.

Does this mean I can actually hook up 3 led lights in series and put it in the dipswitches in the down up down position?

cT27Uub.png

@Crossyif you forgot what this is all about, its on the second page of this thread. 

Edited by Polarizing
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it works well definitely one to keep in the list of handy black boxes.

What is the DC voltage and watt rating for the LED strip?  Assuming nothing abnormal for either, you could probably extend with just about any size wire you have on hand (like from an appliance that d

I would not normally get involved with attempts to marry cheap HungLo LED drivers and regular dimmers but in this case I offer a clue as to why your dimmer and driver might not be 100% happy together.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

However, I wonder WHY it worked since the old (cheap) transformer that came with the leds were rated 18-23V, 240-280 mA, per led.

Does this mean I can actually hook up 3 led lights in series and put it in the dipswitches in the down up down position?

Your LED are current operated (not voltage). Your 7W LEDs are expecting a current of around 250mA which would develop about 20V across them. Setting your transformer to down, down, up (200mA) would probably be best, down, up, down (350mA) may over-drive the LEDs. In either case the transformer will max out at around 45V.

Putting 3 LEDs in series at any of the available currents would likely be about 60V which is outside what the transformer says it can do, it may light the LEDs but behaviour under dimming could be unpredictable.

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Your LED are current operated (not voltage). Your 7W LEDs are expecting a current of around 250mA which would develop about 20V across them. Setting your transformer to down, down, up (200mA) would probably be best, down, up, down (350mA) may over-drive the LEDs. In either case the transformer will max out at around 45V.

Putting 3 LEDs in series at any of the available currents would likely be about 60V which is outside what the transformer says it can do, it may light the LEDs but behaviour under dimming could be unpredictable.

thanks for your explanation, I thought that the 45v of the transformer would be divided by 3 leds (15v each) and making my Leds max out at around 5W each. Any dangers in trying it out?

No danger in trying it, it may work but be unpredictable and it's running the transformer outside its ratings.

You can't just divide voltage amongst LEDs like you can normal lamps, LEDs are current driven not voltage and my not even start to conduct at less than 20V.

• Like 1
On 10/24/2020 at 4:16 PM, Crossy said:

No danger in trying it, it may work but be unpredictable and it's running the transformer outside its ratings.

You can't just divide voltage amongst LEDs like you can normal lamps, LEDs are current driven not voltage and my not even start to conduct at less than 20V.

tried it with 3, doesn't work. installed the adaptors the normal way a few days ago and they work flawlessly. Triac is thaaa besttttttt

Edited by Polarizing