Work Permit with PR

Been looking into PR and I couldn't find any information on the exact requirements for getting a work permit once you have PR.

Is the requirement to have 4 Thais still there even if you have PR?

My understanding is that it is not - since the requirement seems to be enforced by immigration, which are entirely out of the picture once you have PR. But I couldn't find anything in writing anywhere.

Fan

At one time the rules were different for those with PR that reduced the number of Thai employees to 2 and the registered capital to 1 million baht to apply for a work permit but that was eliminated in a change to the regulations.

Best to look in the long ongoing topic or do a post there asking about since people with PR following it.

See: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Why would you think immigration is out of the picture once you get a PR?

I think there are some specific requirements in regards to one getting an extension for their business visa. I guess this part will be out of the picture once someone has a PR, since they don't need any extension based on a work permit. 

On 9/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, Na Fan said:

My understanding is that it is not - since the requirement seems to be enforced by immigration, which are entirely out of the picture once you have PR.

It is the labour department that requires to see proof of your employees  by showing social insurance payments. In the past they even interviewed staff.

Immigration is not completely out of the picture once you acquire PR. For one , you will still need a re-entry permit when leaving the country. PR actually is not that much of a gain.

• Like 1

Immigration is out of the picture as you became an "immigrant". Should a PR want to leave the country, then the endorsement/re-entry visa needs to be sought from immigration; pure paper and fees only. 

The work permit is granted automatically under the WTO-agreements stipulating, that if a country allows a non-citizen to reside permanently in a country, then said country needs to allow the non-citizen to earn his living. A work permit is a given, EXCEPT for professions reserved for Thais only (hair dressing, ice carving etc.). But, yes, a PR holder still needs to hold a work permit which is granted from one to more  years, depending on company and position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SS1 said:

I think there are some specific requirements in regards to one getting an extension for their business visa. I guess this part will be out of the picture once someone has a PR, since they don't need any extension based on a work permit. 

As some have replied already - work permit is a labour department issue and not immigration. I'm not sure what @Sydebolle means by saying a work permit for PR is a given, as PR's still have to comply to the normal work permit regulations just like all others. 

Although once you are a PR there are no more yearly extensions needed, no more 90 days reports, and the actual extensions (up to 5 years at a time, or at least that's how it used to be) are done at the local police station, you still need a reentry permit from immigration and you have the blue passport like booklet you have to get stamped every time you go out and back into Thailand. Once that blue booklet is full, you get a new one (white) at immigration as well. 

So although a lot less business with immigration, they are still a part of the PR's life

• Like 1

To clarify some things: yes - the "immigration is out of the picture" comment is in relation to the yearly extensions, which are no longer necessary. Hence the photoshoots with 4 Thai staff, the office, and all that silliness that goes along with it.

I've never had the labor department verify the 4 Thais and come do photo shoots with them - only immigration does that. At least it did in those 8 years that I've done it.

Now, since there are no more yearly extensions, and thus no more immigration visits - how does it work with the 4 Thai staff?

If working for yourself on a PR the first thing you need is a TFN.

For renewal of WP you will need a copy of filed tax return as in just about all countries.

If you leave the country on a PR for more than 6 months without having departure papers in order 

see just how quickly how Immigration is still involved on your return

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

If working for yourself on a PR the first thing you need is a TFN.

For renewal of WP you will need a copy of filed tax return as in just about all countries.

If you leave the country on a PR for more than 6 months without having departure papers in order 

see just how quickly how Immigration is still involved on your return

So you are saying that there is no more requirements to have 4 Thais per foreigner to get a work permit - if the foreigner in question is granted PR ?

On 9/16/2020 at 10:24 AM, LukKrueng said:

As some have replied already - work permit is a labour department issue and not immigration. I'm not sure what @Sydebolle means by saying a work permit for PR is a given, as PR's still have to comply to the normal work permit regulations just like all others. 

Although once you are a PR there are no more yearly extensions needed, no more 90 days reports, and the actual extensions (up to 5 years at a time, or at least that's how it used to be) are done at the local police station, you still need a reentry permit from immigration and you have the blue passport like booklet you have to get stamped every time you go out and back into Thailand. Once that blue booklet is full, you get a new one (white) at immigration as well. 

So although a lot less business with immigration, they are still a part of the PR's life

All correct what you wrote - yet the labour department must give you a work permit as per WTO (World Trade Organization), once headed by Dr Supachai (and ever since they abide "better" to the WTOs rules and regulations). In my case they wanted to play funny at the beginning with the usual avalanche of papers required. They got an organization chart, checked balance sheets by the revenue department and an extract of the WTO rules in Thai. That was it. No capital structure, 1-in-4 ratio etc. - smooth as silk. 

The endorsement and multiple re-entry on a yearly basis (provided you leave the country) is a THB 5'700/yearly fee, rubber-stamping - usually I can wait for it. The red (..ahem.. brownish) police book needs to be stamped once every five years, technically free of charge but they never said no to a tip for "speedy" servicing.