Brushcutter / any recommendation?

CLW

Hello all,

looking to buy a brush cutter to occasionally trim weeds and grasses around the house.

Which brand is recommended?

At home my family used to have a STIHL brushcutter. I know they are good but quite pricey.

I've seen Honda here but the price is almost similar to Stihl.

Even I might use the tool only once in a while I don't want to buy some cheap and <deleted> brand.

Not the person to buy cheap but twice.

Looking forward to recommendations, thanks.

As above, Honda 4-stroke, our old one has been going for coming on 12 years.

It has had a re-build which cost <1k Baht in parts and a weekend of my time plus priming bulbs and fuel pipe but otherwise trouble free.

• Like 2

I have a Honda for 3 years now. It is the cable driven one, it has more freedom to maneuver but weighs a bit more. It is easy to service and repair with a limited amount of tools necessary.

Cost me 8500 Baht then, Dono what they cost now. Ensure you do not buy fake.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CLW said:

No thanks, after that my garden will be cut, too.

Don't trust anyone here unless you supervise them all the time.

In my case, I find it quite therapeutical out in the garden alone with my thoughts, so that's the main reason I prefer doing it myself. 

I've had a Honda 4 stroke for about 2 years now. Great little machine! 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

I should have set out my reasoning for buying Honda in more detail.

Easy to start.

Low fuel consumption.

Very quiet for a brushcutter.

100% availability on genuine parts at reasonable prices.

Excellent quality and reliability.

We have three for farm use.  The oldest is ten years old.  Repair/service items I remember over a decade of hard use are:

Fuel primer bulbs

Fuel hose

One clutch

Spark plugs

Air filters

Nothing else.  No engine rebuilds or anything else.  Engine oil gets changed every three months but the engine only takes 60ml so roughly 10 Baht per oil change.

Edited by In the jungle
  • Like 1

Just  purchased the cheapest 4  stroke brush cutter listed on Lazada to replace a  Honda that was  stolen.

This one is a clone of Honda to the n th degree and I would say  from same  factory ! 2291 Bht delivered in 3  days.

Edited by Dumbastheycome
small addition and correction
  • Like 2

have a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke. both are copy stuff. The 4 stroke is too weak for real bush. my land has several grasses, including some sugarcane look-alikes. takes forever with the 4 stroke.

maintenance I do myself. all parts are easy to get. maybe twice a year have to remove the start-pull-cord assembly, as dust gathers and make it slip. what is strange is that in my case, the 4 stroke consumes a lot more fuel. maybe bcs I have to operate it at full throttle to get the power I need.

Bought a water-pump assembly recently to add at the end, instead of a blade, to pump water out of my pond. works great and this doing very well on the 4 stroke.

4 stroke is around 7 years old, and the 2 stroke 3. both were around/close to 3000thb

• Like 1

Honada is a clone at less than half the Honda 4 stoke price.  Honada use once then fix,  use once then fix.....  After 2 years I  just took it to the recycle centre for scrap!  Now I  just pay the guy to do it.  My B-in-L has a genuine Honda.  After 5 years still going strong. 

honda 4 stroke, mine is brilliant and very reliable, 8 years old and  still starts first time, only had to replace the pull cord and have it serviced plus they are very reasonably priced. Beware of the ones that use the honda motor but then chinese parts, no where near as reliable, motor is fine but the rest is garbage

19 hours ago, Mister T said:

Save the hassle, pay a local 150 to 200 baht to do it for you. No outlay, no maintenance and you help a local family.

That worked in Isaan, but in Rayong the last time he cut grass, trimmed hedges and removed clippings he said 1000 bht. Last time for me, bought the cheapest wacker for 1800 bht and do all myself.

I had a Honda and a Honda clone the Honda died  the clone is still going.I just bought a new Honda clone for under B 3,000 which is more solidly built and had a much better harness than the Honda I was looking at which was priced at 8000 baht.The Honda clone is a Rambo brand.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

I suppose it depends on how big an area and how often you want to cut. I’ve always believed for DIY purposes you can get away with a cheapie, and subsequent repairs are cheap here as well; my last repair including parts was only 350 baht.

I was in Thai Watsadu recently and came across this...89A0F422-6354-482B-9459-7CA1939C8307_1_105_c.jpeg.05297b221bc4f8b37dd2183389d0144b.jpeg

22 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I suppose it depends on how big an area and how often you want to cut. I’ve always believed for DIY purposes you can get away with a cheapie, and subsequent repairs are cheap here as well; my last repair including parts was only 350 baht.

I was in Thai Watsadu recently and came across this...89A0F422-6354-482B-9459-7CA1939C8307_1_105_c.jpeg.05297b221bc4f8b37dd2183389d0144b.jpeg

That's the one I bought, after 2 uses I had to take to shop to fix. I would strongly recommend a different machine. At least make sure the pull cord assembly is sold in same store.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CLW said:

Where to find a store with genuine Honda? I mean everything, motor and shaft/blade?

Do they have dedicated retailers?

Have a word with our Crossey the mod ,he rebuilt his Honda from a shop in Rangsit .

As for blade's try Lazada ,I get mine from our local weekend market, we have 3 other shops selling blades ,two being builders merchants that sell strimmers ,the other is our local repair man.

For dedicated retailers a job for Google ,might have to be Thai Google. 

As for the argument about 2 strokes v 4 strokes,I have a 2 stroke, a Mitsubishi a TU 43 modal never a problem ,will cut though anything ,unlike a Honda anything tough it struggles 

Basically if you just have a back garden get a 4 stroke ,anything heavy get a 2 stroke ,this evening I have been cutting stalks of Nappier grass ,we cut the grass but leave the last foot , all tough no feed value and cut it down to ground level ,gets rid of  a few weeds at the same time, went through it no problem at about 1/4 throttle. 

• Like 1