Life Certificate

Gandtee

Information for those seeking verification of being alive for the British Pension Service. I have just returned from Bangkok Bank, Bang la mung branch in Pattaya where they issued letters for me and my wife to certify that we have had account there for many years. Our signatures on the letters should prove we are still alive. A good service and Bt.300 total for the letters. They should suffice.

• Thanks 1

Note that scanning the document and returning by email is unacceptable. Some areas are/have been experiencing problems sending air mail post to the UK

This today from the DWP

For the security and protection of your details we are unable to accept your completed Life Certificate via email.

Due to lockdown restrictions because of COVID-19, we understand the forms are very difficult to have witnessed and returned.

We can clear this Life Certificate over the telephone for you, subject to you answering some security questions

If you call our office on 0044 1912187777 (option 1) between the hours of 09:30-15:30 UK time, Monday – Friday, we will endeavour to assist you with this.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Ah, but did they sign and stamp the life certificate?

No. They said that they are not allowed to stamp documents, but the letter is on their headed paper, stamped and signed with an authorised signature. The manager said that they have issued this letter for the same reason many times and had no complaints. I wonder if anyone has used this method and can report no problems? The form does state that a bank can do it.

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Note that scanning the document and returning by email is unacceptable. Some areas are/have been experiencing problems sending air mail post to the UK

This today from the DWP

For the security and protection of your details we are unable to accept your completed Life Certificate via email.

Due to lockdown restrictions because of COVID-19, we understand the forms are very difficult to have witnessed and returned.

We can clear this Life Certificate over the telephone for you, subject to you answering some security questions

If you call our office on 0044 1912187777 (option 1) between the hours of 09:30-15:30 UK time, Monday – Friday, we will endeavour to assist you with this.

Thanks for that. Good to know that there is a back up procedure. Would you mind letting us all know what email address you are using to contact DWP? I have one in my contact list but I was reading that things have changed in recent times.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They don't want letters, you need to fill the form in they sent

you,Banks will not normally witness these,you better get it sorted

out or your pensions will be suspended.

regards worgeordie

Surely the letter together with the filled in form and my signature on both will be acceptable?

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:
2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They don't want letters, you need to fill the form in they sent

you,Banks will not normally witness these,you better get it sorted

out or your pensions will be suspended.

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Surely the letter together with the filled in form and my signature on both will be acceptable?

Toss in a copy of your passport as well. If there's been no comeback from the others as you mentioned, maybe you'll be ok. They're not automatons at DWP, they can think.

If not, as @prakhonchai nick mentioned above, you can call them if something goes wrong.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:13 PM, Moonlover said:

Thanks for that. Good to know that there is a back up procedure. Would you mind letting us all know what email address you are using to contact DWP? I have one in my contact list but I was reading that things have changed in recent times.

Don't know about @prakhonchai nick, but, when I contacted DWP a few weeks ago to check whether a Life Cert was en route to me, I sent them an online enquiry via https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/ipc/personal-details

8 days later I received an email in reply from [email protected] with the bad news that 1 was.

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Don't know about @prakhonchai nick, but, when I contacted DWP a few weeks ago to check whether a Life Cert was en route to me, I sent them an online enquiry via https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/ipc/personal-details

8 days later I received an email in reply from [email protected] with the bad news that 1 was.

Thank you so much. That is very useful to know. ????

Edited by Moonlover
  • 5 months later...

I took my British life certificate form to Thai Immigration, my district office, police bureau, bank, et al,  all refused.    Then I asked my dentist at Vibhavadi Hospital.  He said sure, no problem.  He filled it out and when I paid my bill for the visit the cashier was happy to put the hospital stamp on it.  Doctors will also generally oblige if they've known you for a while.  

• Like 1
Just now, OJAS said:

It would appear that DWP send out Life Certs every 2 years. On that basis we should all, hopefully, be spared that bureaucratic nonsense for another 18 months! ????

If as you say the DWP only send the life certs every 2 years, can you explain why i have had 4 in 6 years.

2019 got 1 2020 got 1.

Edited by colinneil

I did my form at the local police station in Banphai south of Khon Kaen, the document had to be signed by the head of the station ( police regulations ).    They also included a hand written letter from the police station stating they understood the reason for the form ( the stations requirement ).  They also confirmed having seen my passport.  It is the second time I had to complete this form ( no no error it was for 2 different years ).   No problems at all with the police, had a good chat in English and Thai and made  friends for the future.     Gave them cartons of soy milk and fruit juice. 

• 1 month later...

I have just come across this topic, having never heard of 'life certificates' before. I presume all of you guys who responded lodged a postal address with the UK authorities, and presume also you keep it up to date?

That amazes me, because in the 30-odd years since I was last in the UK I would never have considered telling them where I was - none of their business, so to speak.

I have had a small pension paid annually into my BBL a/c for some years now - no hint of any trouble.

So should I now tell them where I am, so they can contact me and start this certificate stuff, which seems at least as silly/time-wasting as the stuff we all complain about at Immigration here? Or should I just keep stumm as long as the annual payment is made? Any (polite) info welcome.

• Thanks 1

This topic is about  DWP state pension, payable from age 65 onwards in the past and somewhat later these days.

On the claim form one enters the address, and if living in Thailand your state pension is frozen.

Some people will apply with a UK address with payment to a UK bank, and as such no life certificates are sent out. You will also receive annual increases...................BUT that is illegal, and if you are found out, as some are, there are consequences, one of which being that you will have to repay all the extra money received!

10 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

I have just come across this topic, having never heard of 'life certificates' before. I presume all of you guys who responded lodged a postal address with the UK authorities, and presume also you keep it up to date?

That amazes me, because in the 30-odd years since I was last in the UK I would never have considered telling them where I was - none of their business, so to speak.

I have had a small pension paid annually into my BBL a/c for some years now - no hint of any trouble.

So should I now tell them where I am, so they can contact me and start this certificate stuff, which seems at least as silly/time-wasting as the stuff we all complain about at Immigration here? Or should I just keep stumm as long as the annual payment is made? Any (polite) info welcome.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

Or should I just keep stumm as long as the annual payment is made?

If your "small pension" is paid annually then it is clearly not the UK State Pension since this is payable every 4 or 13 weeks depending on a particular pensioner's preference. Hence there is no need for you to worry about the possibility being badgered for witnessed life certificates every couple of years or so, like those of us who are UK State Pensioners are.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

This topic is about  DWP state pension, payable from age 65 onwards in the past and somewhat later these days.

On the claim form one enters the address, and if living in Thailand your state pension is frozen.

Some people will apply with a UK address with payment to a UK bank, and as such no life certificates are sent out. You will also receive annual increases...................BUT that is illegal, and if you are found out, as some are, there are consequences, one of which being that you will have to repay all the extra money received!

A most informative post  Thank You,... Indeed it appears you are the absolute font of information on this particular subject

If I may ask  "some people will apply with a UK address"  it appears so,  but if I may ask and seek your infinite experience and furtherance on the legality as you state(...BUT that is illegal)    Now I am not questioning this most knowledgeable statement of yours ,but can you provide and show any linking to your again most knowledgeable statement,just for proof positive

Indeed you progress (and if you are found out, as some are, there are consequences.

Now this in itself a more than knowledgeable statement,would it be possible to indeed provide evidence to your statement eg,correspondence,pointer from DWP website perhaps,Daily Planet website etc.

Lastly,your statement( that you will have to repay all the extra money received!)  a warning for one and all !!   ,please provide details of terms of repayment

Thank You,an early response to my request would be appreciated,as I'm about to take the dog out

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/24/2021 at 5:56 AM, izod10 said:

A most informative post  Thank You,... Indeed it appears you are the absolute font of information on this particular subject

If I may ask  "some people will apply with a UK address"  it appears so,  but if I may ask and seek your infinite experience and furtherance on the legality as you state(...BUT that is illegal)    Now I am not questioning this most knowledgeable statement of yours ,but can you provide and show any linking to your again most knowledgeable statement,just for proof positive

Indeed you progress (and if you are found out, as some are, there are consequences.

Now this in itself a more than knowledgeable statement,would it be possible to indeed provide evidence to your statement eg,correspondence,pointer from DWP website perhaps,Daily Planet website etc.

Lastly,your statement( that you will have to repay all the extra money received!)  a warning for one and all !!   ,please provide details of terms of repayment

Thank You,an early response to my request would be appreciated,as I'm about to take the dog out

This is most disconcerting,virtually answering my own post,however it has been some days since you enabled your most remarkable and thoroughly researched and knowledgeable post.and I am awaiting a responce ,if by any chance you have suffered illness or injury that has delayed an answer to my request then a apology    I apologies

ALL i am seeking ,for my own sake actually that as I am indeed a wrongdoer and wish to correct my illegal way... if you could confirm .....

1  It is illegal to what I am undertaking being   unfrozen?

2 The" consequences"?,..this is what I am most fearful of,meaning 10 years of payback  The thought i am taking food from my fellow pensioners mouths in the UK is more than an embarrassment ,plus winter fuel,maybe even the Xmas bonus   I shudder at the thought

3  You do say that people have been" caught"any indication of the numbers?

Actually the thread is  LIFE CERTIFICATE   not  DWP  PENSION Once again I thank you and await your reply.. in anticipation   Thank You once again

prakhonchai nick

• Platinum Member
  •  
  • Advanced Members
  • 2412 posts

The thought i am taking food from my fellow pensioners mouths in the UK is more than an embarrassment for me

On 3/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

You do know this is a load of b.ollocks,just why you keep printing this rubbish is beyond belief.  There is no NO punishment ,no stoppages,no nothing.

You want to stop publishing this rubbish

• Sad 1
  • 7 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 6:52 AM, colinneil said:

You claim Prakonchai  Nicks post is b====ks why?

If as you claim  there i no punishment, no stoppages, how do you know?

Is it because you were yourself cheating, and got caught out?

I have just received a Life Certificate and when you make the declaration you have to certify that you understand that criminal or civil proceedings may be taken if you give incorrect or incomplete information.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I have just received a Life Certificate and when you make the declaration you have to certify that you understand that criminal or civil proceedings may be taken if you give incorrect or incomplete information.

If you're dead but claim to still be alive ........ what are they gonna do?