Amnesty 80% likely to be extended - Immigration Officer Phuket Today

In July Immigration advised the Cabinet to not extend the amnesty. Immigration will probably do the same this time (if the government should discuss a further extension)

If immigration would make the decision there would be no amnesty, but it's the Cabinet who decides and not immigration.

I wonder where he gets the 80% from.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

What kind of nonsense is that, in both phrases.

Duh, i take it you haven't spoken to Immigration, 'amnesty' IS treated as 'overstay'. 

Minus the fines.

Minus the blacklisting.

But if you need a 12 month extension and the IO wants to follow the rules, your <deleted> out of luck, if you want to move to elite and you have more than two overstays in two years, you are <deleted> out of luck.

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Amnesty is not treated as overstay - we still require a valid visa to qualify for amnesty. Any overstayers will still be fined and deported/blacklisted. I phoned the hotline to check and asked my local IO (Ubon) when I tried to do a 90 day report (which wasn’t needed as I was on a tourist visa) 

Edited by 2530Ubon
Spelling error

3 minutes ago, Yahem said:

I had contact with the Thai embassy in my country (Belgium) the consul there told me the exact same thing no need to worry as he is almost 100% sure it will be extended , and I won’t be able to go home in the following months.

The more people saying it'll be extended the better.  I hope so.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Amnesty is not treated as overstay - we still require a valid visa to qualify for amnesty. Any overstayers will still be fined and deported/blacklisted. I phoned the hotline to check and asked my local IO (Ubon) when I tried to do a 90 day report (which wasn’t needed as I was on a tourist visa) 

Again... go and ask your IO whether they treat amnesty as overstay without the fines and blacklisting, then report your findings here when done. Bored of repeating this one, they will tell you plainly its overstay without fines and blacklisting.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Could be for just expats and those on long term visas and not tourists.  There have been a few reports immigration would help expats. 

What type of Expats? Those on 12 month extensions, be it retirement or marriage, it is business as usual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

What type of Expats? Those on 12 month extensions, be it retirement or marriage, it is business as usual.

example expats who have been here for years on NON IMM permits via ME visas not able or willing to do in country yearly extensions & not having any 'home' to return to or anywhere to go really such as usual projects in the region that are still suspended etc etc. If no viable options are given mass exodus will happen or dodgy schemes utilised.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, worldfun said:

example expats who have been here for years on NON IMM permits via ME visas not able or willing to do in country yearly extensions & not having any 'home' to return to or anywhere to go really such as usual projects in the region that are still suspended etc etc. If no viable options are given mass exodus will happen or dodgy schemes utilised.

I don't know if there are official or dictionary definitions for "visitor" and "expat", respectively the distinction between the two, but I believe if there were, holders of a multiple-entry non-O visa would be under "visitor".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps with the 400k for a 12 month extension (which is to show that you have enough money to support your spouse or child for 12 months), they will add options of a 6 month extension for showing 200k and a 3 month extension for those showing 100k.

It seems to make sense, but they mightn't think of it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Perhaps with the 400k for a 12 month extension (which is to show that you have enough money to support your spouse or child for 12 months), they will add options of a 6 month extension for showing 200k and a 3 month extension for those showing 100k.

It seems to make sense, but they mightn't think of it. 

If they relaxed the "income" method & granted extension based on average monthly deposits over 12 months it would help some of those on non O ME.  Those using this visa probably meet the 40,000bt per month, but have irregular cash transfers, ie transfer cash as needed.

• Like 2