Amnesty 80% likely to be extended - Immigration Officer Phuket Today

1 hour ago, Zikomat said:

It will not make any sense not to announce anything. They will announce it on 22-nd. The closer the date the more inevitable the amnesty becomes. Just my opinion (never been wrong in the past).

so much for the 80% (after today's cabinet meeting mistakenly approved a new special 270 day inbound visa instead of honoring existing visas (both for in country/overseas valid visa holders)!

I'd say I trust Zikomat some 20% on correcting that mistake by next week or extend the amnesty ????

• Like 1

Seems unlikely but only because I need it so bad. Stranger things have happened. Like the stupidest dumbest rule ever to allow a 50+ year old to simply park 800k in Thailand and your good. Or the idea that you can get 90 day visa with just a birth certificate outside Thailand but cannot get the same recognition in Thailand for a longer visa of the same basis. So many BS rules. 

Spending 70k a month in this country for 6.5 years. Contributing to schools, doctors, charities, family, restaurant's. Own cars and bikes and a bloody condo and rent a house.

Should just be a rule based on cash in the bank for all if it is just a case of cash in the bank for a fifty year olds. 

Time to change up the silly rules.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

There are people who have legitimate reasons for staying in Thailand on the amnesty. I have been waiting to travel to another country which was going to open up before 26th September, but they just pushed that back to next month.

There is almost no chance that the amnesty will be extended. They told people to get another visa or get out by 26th September. 

When they gave the amnesty there was more difficulty in getting flights. People who can show they have a medical problem, or a problem getting a flight, can still get a 30 day visa extension.

They have made it very clear there will be no amnesty. People who overstay will be fined and/or excluded from Thailand for a period.

The first time I went to Koh Samui immigration to try to apply for a retirement visa and get the stamp the US embassy said was necessary was around September 1. The officer explicitly said, "Wait, the government will make an announcement." The government did say, again, that September 26 was the end and not to wait to get it together. Not sure if that was the "announcement," I went back on September 9 and tried again with a stack of documents showing I was a legitimate candidate for the visa. This time the same officer said, "I told you to wait for an announcement" and "You have to leave the country to apply for that visa." I left with an embassy letter extension with an under consideration date of Oct 11, which may or may not screw up my chances for the visa. I'm still waiting for that "announcement"...

4 hours ago, checkered flag said:

These people don't in most cases contribute as most tourists by staying in hotels/resorts, eating in restaurants, buying things, etc. In reality they have set up house and live as cheaply as possible. I say this because many would have long term visa but have trouble meeting the financial requirements. 

Most of these people are actually married to Thais. The only way to get a non-o multi entry visa is to be married. Doesn't that give us more  interest in Thailand rather than someone who is on a retirement visa who is just after the cheap lifestyle, has little interest in Thai culture and has no extended family here. Does it occur to you that maybe Immigration leave a little loophole for those married without the financial means? Many go back and forth to their home country to work anyway which is a bit difficult at present. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

The price for agent assisted visa has recently doubled or more.

Not for all types / locations, evidently.  Increases likely apply for those who need a "change of visa" to a 90-day stamp, as that normally requires 15 days left on one's permitted-stay.  

See here for a recent report in Jomtien for retirement for the usual 15K baht:

• Haha 1

There was a poster on a FB group who said he went to Phuket Town immigration last week to extend his tourist visa, and they told him an announcement would be made this week for another 2 month extension and would not accept his application. Seriously, what's up with these Phuket IOs?! 

Edited by Benitostacos
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Benitostacos said:

There was a poster on a FB group who said he went to Phuket Town immigration last week to extend his tourist visa, and they told him an announcement would be made this week for another 2 month extension and would not accept his application. Seriously, what's up with these Phuket IOs?! 

I was in Phuket Immigration yesterday and it was packed. You would think during a pandemic they would have safer ways to go about this..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Has there been an announcement yet of amnesty extension or does one wait until Thursday for the amnesty extension to be announced?

We should know something about it late today after the cabinet meeting is finished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

What if amnesty is extended and I just extended my visa?  It's an under consideration until October, so would I need to return and get to confirmed or just let it be?  

The length of the amnesty would override whichever visa stamp you have, but would recommend you going back on the stated date to close off the under consideration 'loop' anyway