Amnesty 80% likely to be extended - Immigration Officer Phuket Today

Just now, samisaurus said:

Who else keeps checking twitter for updates on this ? ahahha 

Tapping refresh on Bangkok Post, The Nation, Thaiger and ThaiVisa every few moments..... fingers are getting a bit weary! Looks like they're sticking to their guns!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

Aren't news/announcements from the cabinet meetings usually reported about 6/7pm if not later?

Not sure, but I've been seeing announcements from them online at the moment regarding other things such as 1. An extra long weekend & 2. Release of funds to the public. 

Sorry to break it to you guys but the Bangkok Post has already reported on today's cabinet meeting. They reported that at 1516 so the meeting is over and they obviously didn't even consider the amnesty. It was always a non-starter so there will be no big announcement or anything. You're wasting your time with the refresh button.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

So is the meeting officially over and all updates have been release/announced? 

They're not going to leak the decisions of a cabinet meeting as it's taking place are they? Clearly it's over. The previous amnesties were announced long before this time of day.

Edited by edwardandtubs

13 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Isn't there always a wednesday morning meeting at government house? I'm not sure, does anyone know?

Yeah.... I'm sure everything will be OK as the OP spoke to a second in command for upstairs division

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Yeah.... I'm sure everything will be OK as the OP spoke to a second in command for upstairs division

Upstairs, right. In the attic by any chance? That part sounded suspiciously like out of Kafka's "The Trial" from the beginning...

So the Cabinet just ignored the issue totally. What a bunch of arrogant... If only they have informed the public one month ago - how much easier the life was for all of us. The typical Thai attitude towards foreigners.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

So the Cabinet just ignored the issue totally. What a bunch of arrogant... If only they have informed the public one month ago - how much easier the life was for all of us. The typical Thai attitude towards foreigners.

Informed about what exactly? It was always known the amnesty would end on September 26th since it had been extended in July.

But this has already been discussed ad nauseam.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

In April it was known that the amnesty would end in April, but then it didn't because they extended it.

In Mai, June and July it was known that the amnesty would end in July, but then it didn't because they extended it.

Hardly surprising that some people hope they would extend it again, same as the previous two times.

I agree that people might "hope" for an extension but that doesn't mean the government has to come out and say "Oh by the way we REALLY mean what we said in July".

An expectation like this is so far out of touch you might just as well expect the tooth fairy to knock on the door.

6 minutes ago, hanuman2 said:

Anyway, can we please have a final confirmation from someone who has read the minutes of the cabinet meeting that nothing to do with visas/amnesty was discussed? I don't know where they publish that stuff.

They aren't online yet:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hanuman2 said:

Anyway, can we please have a final confirmation from someone who has read the minutes of the cabinet meeting that nothing to do with visas/amnesty was discussed? I don't know where they publish that stuff.

A media source would've mentioned it if the topic of amnesty were discussed in the cabinet meeting. The only way I see an amnesty extension happening now is if this week unfolds as a complete disaster....immigration offices overflowing, airports jam packed with limited flights, videos of families being split apart, etc.