Amnesty 80% likely to be extended - Immigration Officer Phuket Today

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They aren't online yet:

Minutes are not online yet, but if there was anything close to even a grace period discussed, it'd be all over the news now. Bangkok Post already reported the two new long-weekends at the end of the year discussed & confirmed in the Cabinet meeting today around 3pm, so seems like that was all that was discussed, nothing else related to amnesty. Game over.

Again, if this results in a terrible PR crisis for the Thai government & police rounding up thousands of tourists on overstay, I expect the amnesty to re-start very shortly afterwards ????

Edited by tabbycat
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Benitostacos said:

A media source would've mentioned it if the topic of amnesty were discussed in the cabinet meeting. The only way I see an amnesty extension happening now is if this week unfolds as a complete disaster....immigration offices overflowing, 

The only way I see an amnesty extension happening now is if this week unfolds as a complete disaster....immigration offices overflowing, 

The "tourists" are trying hard to acheave that so doing apparantly....????

7 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/35295

Nothing discussed/mentioned regarding amnesty.

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:
12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Today's cabinet meeting is online: https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/35295

I don't see anything about an amnesty extension.

I agree, nothing about amnesty or anything visa related.

20 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

Again, if this results in a terrible PR crisis for the Thai government & police rounding up thousands of tourists on overstay, I expect the amnesty to re-start very shortly afterwards ????

They have no capacity for rounding up thousands of tourists on overstay so as much as those still here when the amnesty expires deserve to get their wrists slapped I highly doubt anything is going to happen.

There won't be any "PR crisis" either. After all the blame for people not being able to get an extension even on tourist visas solely lies with their own embassies that refused to issue them letters.

Edited by FlyingThai
typo

17 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

They have no capacity for rounding up thousands of tourists on overstay so as much as those still here when the amnesty expires deserve to get their wrists slapped I highly doubt anything is going to happen.

I think that's the reason I've seen so many who are just.. perfectly content with overstaying for a while, they think they'll be OK paying the fine upon exiting the country as long as they don't get in any trouble with the police prior to that or don't go through a random checkpoint of any kind where they're asked to produce ID. I don't think that's necessarily the case.

It's a far out guess, but now that Amnesty is not being extended, judging by how scummy the police here can be (Bangkok specifically, notorious for it), I anticipate we'll soon start to hear reports of people being stopped randomly and asked to prove their immigration status, then getting in big trouble if they're unlucky (*cough* tea money). Just like the Bangkok shakedown back in 2014-15 where they did the same, but with drug testing random people on the streets for no reason/suspicion whatsoever. This lasted for months until people made an uproar about it, then it suddenly stopped. Asking people to urinate in a cup on the corner of a soi on Sukhumvit was a new low for them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets worse.

Edited by tabbycat
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

There won't be any "PR crisis" either. After all the blame for people not being able to get an extension even on tourist visas solely lies with their own embassies that refused to issue them letters.

they had the capacity during the Big Joke era. there was almost daily press conferences of them literally rounding up 100s per day. trust me if they decide thats what is going to happen then that is what is going to happen. 

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

they had the capacity during the Big Joke era. there was almost daily press conferences of them literally rounding up 100s per day. trust me if they decide thats what is going to happen then that is what is going to happen. 

Hard to justify during an ongoing health crisis but yeah, all this is purely theoretical. Looking forward to watch the developments though.

Edited by FlyingThai

22 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

No they don't however thy have the capacity to round up a few and they will round up some

They have been very clear in stating people must get their status resolved by the 26th or face action

1 hour ago, david555 said:

The only way I see an amnesty extension happening now is if this week unfolds as a complete disaster....immigration offices overflowing, 

The "tourists" are trying hard to acheave that so doing apparantly....????

I'll be one of those "tourists" this week. haha????

• Like 1

Patients should work here but eyes and ears open to be aware of new or more changes and requirements needed to proceed.

Note it is a different period and so many authorities may have been exposed for some reason and keep looking for changes and adjustments but it is life these days so it will grow on us

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, JeffGroves said:

Patients should work here but eyes and ears open to be aware of new or more changes and requirements needed to proceed.

Note it is a different period and so many authorities may have been exposed for some reason and keep looking for changes and adjustments but it is life these days so it will grow on us

what is confusing here ?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Perhaps they were looking at ‘patients’ and didn’t realize that you meant patience 

Even that doesn't clarify it at all, unless he is a "patient" from somewhere!

Edited by fangless
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fangless said:

All of it!

Try rewriting.

No -you can work it out ok or simple forget about it.

My thoughts are Amnesty will not be extended as before, but hope some grace time will be given for applications of visas extenions and all cases for all  

1 minute ago, JeffGroves said:

My thoughts are Amnesty will not be extended as before, but hope some grace time will be given for applications of visas extenions and all cases for all  

For sure amnesty not extended now.

And yes hope for many folk here that need to leave can be assisted. Thai have made that possible by offering 30 day extension.

Sadly some knuckle head embassies are making it difficult or plain right impossible.

Only USA have made it easy and very efficient process. My country Au and others such as UK have made it difficult.

Rubbish governments

• Like 2
  • Sad 1