BANGKOK
Ashmanator

Should parents pay 100% school fees despite covid disruptions?

My daughter is in the Private Thai education system that teaches the Thai curriculum in 70% English ad 30% Thai. The term is coming to an end and I have just received the Invoice for the Thai Term April to September. The school have billed 100% as normal. Rough calculations would indicate that there was probably around 25% less teaching/ learning  time during lockdowns etc. So, each child has only received 75% of "normal" education. It seems strange that there are no concessions for the reduced "service" . Having spoke to several other parents, they seem to feel that they shouldn't be paying full fees, but are not prepared to challenge the fact that they are going to. Naturally the school would have had lower operational costs, utilities, admin/ operational staff etc etc. So it seems strange to me that the schools costs were probably lower, but they charge full fees making there bottom line healthier? From the parents perspective, simply paying the same amount for 25% less education seems unethical....

Thoughts? I am meeting with the school next week to discuss, so would be interesting to other peoples thoughts.

They study online with zoom.

• Haha 1

There is a reason the other parents do not wish to challenge the school...think of being seen as a trouble maker...they will not come after YOU!

If i were you id go for a 12,5 percent reduction in fees. Its a situation out of control of the school so why not both bear 50% of the difference. That would be reasonable.

Not sure if you can do it or not. But going for a full 25% refund would not be fair in my book. 

• Like 2

My kids junior school gave 10% discount.

My other kids university gave 20% discount.

• Like 2

Less "learning time" does not mean they did not concentrate the learning into the other 75%.

Geez, I would say pay the full fee if you support the school and your kids future.

If you think other schools will be better and you don't like it, move your kid to another school.

• Like 1

For the staff at some of the schools, the workload increased enormously.   I know some schools where students went Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the 2nd group went Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.   That meant the teachers worked full days for 6 days. 

When the students were not in physical attendance, they were learning by video, so video lectures had to be prepared for those students.  

I don't know if discounts should be given, but I know for the teachers it was a major increase in work with no increase in pay.

• Like 2

No! You do not pay for what you don't get. Simples.

2 hours ago, Anders W Ferslev said:

we got 20% discount

My two kids (Primary) go to an international school in Phuket which teaches the Cambridge curriculum in English. For Term 3 (April to June) the school voluntarily provided a 20% discount which I thought was very fair. I'm also aware that some parents complained that the discount should be much higher.

The quality of Internet-learning was very high with daily "classroom sessions" from 8.00 AM to 3.00 PM or 4.00 PM. The teachers were very well prepared, engaging, and the school communicated constantly and very well with the parents. Friends of mine with kids at other international schools in Phuket were not that happy with the quality of Internet-learning provided.

Since I was very impressed with the school's response to Internet-learning, I would not have asked for a discount. In the end, I think it boils down to if the OP received value for money under difficult circumstances.

• Like 2

Should parents pay 100% school fees despite covid disruptions?

of course not, it's better to let the school close of course.