BANGKOK
Ashmanator

Should parents pay 100% school fees despite covid disruptions?

My Son received ‘online learning’ for his Term 3 (summer term - April to June) and only actually attended school for 5 times in the final two weeks (school class split in half and students attended every other day) meanwhile online learning continued. 

Online learning included an hour with the teacher each day (scheduled to 4 kids online at at time), the rest of the time work and fun actives were set - the teachers worked extremely hard and still needed to get paid. 

While the students were not there the school was effectively still operating. 

We received a 50,000 baht discount (approx 18%) on his Term 1 (August to December) the school is fully open. 

Students have to wear facemarks, full activities and ECA’s continue. 

are  they paying teachers the  full salary would be my first question

Got  only 5% discount after many parents started a petition claiming a logic/proportional 20% discount.

School was not really happy.

They raised the school fee for the new school year with 5% + the yearly uplift.

Edited by Thorgal

Our's is an EP school, the 2+ months we lost is being made up with shorter breaks between 1/4's and terms.

I never brought up this subject with the school.

You would have to speak with a number of other parents, and see if they were up for challenging the charges. Most Thais are unwilling to engage in confrontation. We just do not care what others think of us. At least the healthy ones amongst us. But, doing it on your own will create potential enemies, and could end up in harassment of your kids. 

• Like 1

They are only following the Thai tradition, which is to charge the same, or more to make up for any losses.

You are asking for reason from a system that only teaches memorization, not free or critical thinking.

17 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

name some schools & prices 

Pay for terms in advance at Satit Udomsueksa, Pattaya. Received 10% rebate when school resumed.

Private school in Phuket 20% seems fair although it appears a private music school has not given credit for classes my child never went too, the school was shut and only recently opened. I now have a bill to pay for current lessons whilst the payments I have already made are written off? Waiting for a reply before I start paying again.

one has to think ... if your children are to remain in thailand, why spend millions in private schools ?  or does your job pay for everything or are you filthy rich ?

I plan to go to back to europe when it is time for university with my child

12 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

one has to think ... if your children are to remain in thailand, why spend millions in private schools ?  or does your job pay for everything or are you filthy rich ?

I plan to go to back to europe when it is time for university with my child

Yes, I'm extremely filthy rich.