steel fabricator for shelving

bamboozled

Thanks electrified. I didn't realize they would cut them to size for you. That's an interesting prospective. I was thinking more a welded unit such as in the photo but this is probably more economical. What were your sizes and prices, approximately? I was going to go with wood shelves, those fairly cheap ones you can get at the local markets with the white "formica" tops but I wanted a custom size and I thought I was getting a bit price gouged.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 8.34.40 PM.png

52 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks electrified. I didn't realize they would cut them to size for you. That's an interesting prospective. I was thinking more a welded unit such as in the photo but this is probably more economical. What were your sizes and prices, approximately? I was going to go with wood shelves, those fairly cheap ones you can get at the local markets with the white "formica" tops but I wanted a custom size and I thought I was getting a bit price gouged.

The largest is 2 m (H) X 1.4 m (W) and the hardware is per the photo. The packs of hardware come with rubber covers for the feet. It is extremely strong. I have perhaps 250 Kg. or even more worth of things on one unit. I was at Global House recently and noticed they have more than one color steel now. When I built them years ago, they only had grey. Of course you could spray the steel any color you like. As far as cost, it's hard to remember since I built them about 6 years ago. I'll take a guess and say 1200-1300 Baht for the steel and fasteners for the largest unit. Maybe less, certainly not any more. You can choose the grade of wood you like at Suksawad and they will cut it to size for you.

52 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

shel.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

The teak wood tops, that 's just an added touch. I bought some used tables welded up from steel bar and topped with reclaimed teak some years ago and thought to match them. It adds a nice bit of pizzazz, just enough.

Teak can be very expensive.  Consider teak plywood? You can find veneer to put on the edges.  Then coat with 3 coats of poly finishing with matte.  Then mount on your Benz with three uugaah horns.

• Like 1

True, I never priced teak. The tables I have are about 50 x 70 and only have one level (one "top") and not 4 levels such as shelving. The tops are constructed from 3 or 4 or 5 pieces held together on the bottom so I suspect the cost was not that great. It gives the steel tables a warmer more rustic and less industrial aspect. But the plywood thing might work, too. Doesn't really have to be teak, either. Thanks for the tip. I am familiar with Sudsawad and will certainly go there for my wood supply...unless it's reclaimed teak...which I don't know where I would get.

Welded def. looks better. Price is a consideration, as well. Where is Khun Dang located, please?

I know some welders around. One I tried years ago was so bad I probably could have done better. Another place that seems to get lots of business in Santitham across from the fire station seems to be quite busy all the time and some nice looking stuff. When I asked to do something there years ago they turned it down...too busy. Perhaps that's Khun Dang?

The knock-down shelving is sure nice when you have to move...

Will check Bed and Beyond, too.

For the record, these will not be for a shop so the welded variety is simply because I like nice stuff.

9 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Welded def. looks better. Price is a consideration, as well. Where is Khun Dang located, please?

I know some welders around. One I tried years ago was so bad I probably could have done better. Another place that seems to get lots of business in Santitham across from the fire station seems to be quite busy all the time and some nice looking stuff. When I asked to do something there years ago they turned it down...too busy. Perhaps that's Khun Dang?

The knock-down shelving is sure nice when you have to move...

Will check Bed and Beyond, too.

For the record, these will not be for a shop so the welded variety is simply because I like nice stuff.

Dang Khong Pratuu is the auto customization shop. I go there often. Actually there are two locations. One on Mahidol Road on the way to Airport Plaza and the other is on a soi off of Chang Klan between Sridornchai and Chiangmai Land. I didn't know they did other work besides automobiles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

I didn't know they did other work besides automobiles.

He does metal fabrication, cutting, bending, drilling, welding...stainless too.  He built a lot of the stainless stair rails in the CNX Domestic Terminal.  

He does a lot of auto repairs mostly doors and windows but also engine and body at Mahidon road shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bill97 said:

He does metal fabrication, cutting, bending, drilling, welding...stainless too.  He built a lot of the stainless stair rails in the CNX Domestic Terminal.  

He does a lot of auto repairs mostly doors and windows but also engine and body at Mahidon road shop.

Been going there for years for auto electric repairs, bought 2 alarm systems over the years, also they have every odd nut and bolt, light bulbs, lenses, etc. and the quality of the items they sell is very good. IMO one of the better businesses here, up there with Amnuay, etc.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Been going there for years for auto electric repairs, bought 2 alarm systems over the years, also they have every odd nut and bolt, light bulbs, lenses, etc. and the quality of the items they sell is very good. IMO one of the better businesses here, up there with Amnuay, etc.

They supply a lot of body shops with parts, small and large.  He likes and knows cars and is a quality man.

• Like 2