Keeping Laptop Cool.

NoshowJones

My laptop can sometimes be on for days at a time when I am streaming, what's the best way to keep it cool? Is it best to use one of these cooling pads, or one of these things which raises your laptop up off the surface which you can buy on Lazada?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They will help somewhat although the internal temps will still remain high under load. But what the cooling pads so is help dissipate the heat more effectively. It certainly can't hurt unless you don't have an extra USB port to spare for power.

The best ways I've found for keeping a laptop cool in Thailand: 
1) keep it in an air-conditioned room
2) clean out the vents (use a can of compressed air - can buy from Tesco/MrDIY/Lazada)
3) Use a USB-powered cooling stand - the most effective one is the single-fan; very low noise and high cooling (buy from Lazada/aliexpress/mall). 
rBVaVF0v4I6AXd82AAIKvX2VRLM748.jpg.bc82b0cff8af51b7c6bb802a3aa1258d.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

or one of these things which raises your laptop up off the surface which you can buy on Lazada?

Or you could just use what's laying around your room already like a small book or wood block to clear the space under the laptop and have your room fan blow in its direction keeping you cool at the same time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Or you could just use what's laying around your room already like a small book or wood block to clear the space under the laptop and have your room fan blow in its direction keeping you cool at the same time.

Good idea, thanks.

• Like 1

@Possum

assuming the laptop is free of dust,

1- what temperatures are you writing about? install a free temperature monitoring software (like Speccy for example) and first see if your laptops overheats at all.

If temps don't exceed ca. 60° when using the laptop for internet browsing or watching movies, you don't have a heat problem.
If putting load on the system (play a game), temp goes above 80°C, you have a temperature issue.

2- how old is your laptop? if it's more than 4 years old, the best thing to do is to replace the thermal compound under both CPU and GPU. Doing this will directly lower temps by 10°C or more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Possum, thanks for asking the question, the internal fan on mine is on almost constantly despite having a mobile fan playing on it all day.  Its a bit worrying, so I also need to do something about it. 

I took mine to a laptop repair shop at the back of Tukcom after it had tripped out twice on "over temp". Gave it a good clean and was right as rain.

• Like 1

Here's my cheap and very effective resolution for this problem. The computer's also on a cooling pad for good measure.

I've now found that it's more effective when placed on the left. I guess the processor, the main generator of heat, is on that side.

Computer fan.jpg

1 minute ago, petermik said:

Take a look in Tukcom...plenty of similar 4 sale no need to wait for delivery :thumbsup:

Since Covid I've got extremely lazy. Got into the habit of ordering everything now. Even ordered my lunch from a nearby Italian restaurant yesterday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Years ago I bought a small raised platform with a fan that went under the computer. If you can't buy one now easy enough to make one.

that's 2 of us and it works great, connected via USB port thus turning laptop on fan immediately on as well

7 hours ago, polpott said:

Since Covid I've got extremely lazy. Got into the habit of ordering everything now. Even ordered my lunch from a nearby Italian restaurant yesterday.

keep away from Sizzlers unless your masked up.......:cheesy:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tgw said:

@Possum

1- what temperatures are you writing about? install a free temperature monitoring software (like Speccy for example) and first see if your laptops overheats at all.

If temps don't exceed ca. 60° when using the laptop for internet browsing or watching movies, you don't have a heat problem.
If putting load on the system (play a game), temp goes above 80°C, you have a temperature issue.

2- how old is your laptop? if it's more than 4 years old, the best thing to do is to replace the thermal compound under both CPU and GPU. Doing this will directly lower temps by 10°C or more.

There is two, one is brand new and the other is about two years old. The new one supports the monitor.

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Possum, thanks for asking the question, the internal fan on mine is on almost constantly despite having a mobile fan playing on it all day.  Its a bit worrying, so I also need to do something about it. 

I was thinking of just getting a cool pad.

6 hours ago, tgw said:

@Possum

My laptop is in an aircooled room which is on all day most times.

Two people have already mentioned the thermal compound inside the laptop.  I agree it makes a huge difference.

I have had two laptops with overheating problems recently.  The guy I took it to said he had to check where the heat was coming from, the CPU or the hard drive.  In one laptop I installed a much newer hard drive and the thing hardly gets warm now.  The other we just had the computer guy go through it and put new thermal compound and clean very well.