Keeping Laptop Cool.

NoshowJones

48 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

My laptop is in an aircooled room which is on all day most times.

you still should verify the temperature of your CPU and GPU by using a utility program. maybe you don't have any temperature problem at all.

and if you have an issue, it will be useful to know its extent. temperatures at idle and under load are useful to know. If your laptop runs at above 55°C at idle while having clean and properly operating fans, then there is a problem with the thermal compound, regardless of the machine's age. I am often appalled by the carelessness of how thermal paste is applied to stock laptops.

Edited by tgw

5 hours ago, tgw said:

you still should verify the temperature of your CPU and GPU by using a utility program. maybe you don't have any temperature problem at all.

and if you have an issue, it will be useful to know its extent. temperatures at idle and under load are useful to know. If your laptop runs at above 55°C at idle while having clean and properly operating fans, then there is a problem with the thermal compound, regardless of the machine's age. I am often appalled by the carelessness of how thermal paste is applied to stock laptops.

It's just that one of my laptops is on constantly just now with streaming, and I just wanted to be sure it would not overheat.

Out of curiosity, where are you streaming from, and what app are you using?

It is not normal for a laptop's fan to run continuously, unless (a) it's an under-performing laptop, or (b) the app or browser has an issue (a bug?) processing the data.

P.S. I assume you are using your computer in a cool environment, not in a sweltering jungle like environment.

Firstly try using a temp. monitor to see where and when your hotspots are; I use Open Hardware Monitor https://openhardwaremonitor.org.

OHM has a running graphical chart that you can configure and look at your various temperatures in different colors along a timeline.

This way you can monitor anything you do to reduce your temperature and look at the results on the OHM graph over time to see if effective.

Like suggested by another OP I went into the BIOS and set the fan to keep running continuously.

My Dell E6420 is on a docking station, have a small USB fan blowing air under the base of the laptop.

I have another large rotating Hatari fan behind me that blows air into the desk equipment area where I am working.

I clean all the PC vents once a month with a compressed can of air, as we do have an extreme amount of dust in Bangkok city area from AC units mainly. 

Being running my 8 year old Dell laptop for 4 years here now in BKK with no issues.

Good luck!

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Download and install Core Temp, it continually shows the temp of cores in your toolbar, takes a few minutes to work out how you want it to look and start automatically on start up, it's really good.

Buy a laptop stand/fan from this place, delivered to your door...

https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook-accessorie

At what temperature should I start to get worried?

1 minute ago, polpott said:

At what temperature should I start to get worried?

I would suggest the cooler it runs the longer things will last. I rebuilt my desktop, to find it was running at 80/90*, "Core Temp" told me, so, fitted more internal fans and one of those cooling towers that clamps to my 4 core processor, looking at my toolbar, now, it reads 47,42,42,46, which is a massive improvement.

My friend has a new-ish laptop, bottom of the screen has gone all fuzzy, took it to PC shop, they said, over heating can do that, so, new screen and bought a stand with fans for it...

I have an old Toshiba LT, it runs up to 80 if on a flat surface, so I lift one end and put a wedge there, temp drops a tad, so a fan/stand really is mandatory if in constant use....  

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, possum1931 said:

My laptop can sometimes be on for days at a time when I am streaming, what's the best way to keep it cool? Is it best to use one of these cooling pads, or one of these things which raises your laptop up off the surface which you can buy on Lazada?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/oker-gaming-laptop-cooling-pad-5-fans-x735-i129921461-s137789573.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.33.73aa41c9twqBrY&search=1

I bought this one from Lazada late last year, been working perfect;y since.

My laptop sometimes cut-out due to over temp, not anymore this keeps it ice-cool.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 9:24 AM, worgeordie said:

Maybe you should clean the laptop inside,the fan sucks

dust ,fluff in and that affects the cooling,that's where I

would start.

regards Worgeordie

most definitely .. step one then fan under pc ...  

As others said, get something that raises the laptop off the surface, at an angle if possible to make typing easier. 

I bought one with a fan but it didn't really push much air. 

I bought two small square 220v coaxial muffin fans and just set them on the desk pointed under the laptop. They are quiet and keep the hot air exit on the laptop much lower. 

I do torrents do the machine is on 7/24.

Edited by RocketDog

I think that the OP hasn't described the problem accurately. I think he doesn't mean 'streaming', as of course he would be sitting in front of his laptop for day, but utilising BitTorrent. So of course he isn't turning his laptop off in order to get 100% completed Torrents.

The solution is the same as it always has been....a SeedBox.

They handle all of the heavy lifting. No need for your laptop to stay on during. But he knows this, because I have already told him so.

Unfortunately at the time he had some idiotic poster arguing the toss and totally misleading him. So not going any further than what I have already recommended.

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It's just that one of my laptops is on constantly just now with streaming, and I just wanted to be sure it would not overheat.

use a temperature monitoring utility app and this will provide you with certainty regarding the laptop's temperature

On 9/12/2020 at 8:22 AM, tonray said:

They will help somewhat although the internal temps will still remain high under load. But what the cooling pads so is help dissipate the heat more effectively. It certainly can't hurt unless you don't have an extra USB port to spare for power.

Better to have an externally powered cooling fan as using your laptop to power it just generates more internal heat from the power supply.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Better to have an externally powered cooling fan as using your laptop to power it just generates more internal heat from the power supply.

True but the power supply isn't really going to generate that much heat from powering a USB port. The CPU and Graphics chips are the real culprits.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:22 AM, tonray said:

They will help somewhat although the internal temps will still remain high under load. But what the cooling pads so is help dissipate the heat more effectively. It certainly can't hurt unless you don't have an extra USB port to spare for power.

Either stop downloading illegally movies or 5 large cans beer Chang / day 5555555555

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, JoePai said:

Make sure the cooling pad fan blows down and not up - or you will find it blowing dust etc into your laptop and make things worse !

I saw a test video of some of these things once and the most effective one was a small one that attached to the (usually left)  side of the laptop over the exit vent and the fan on top pulled the hot air out of the laptop 

It was more effective than the big ones that go underneath the entire laptop