ATM s.Say Insufficient funds? Home banks says OK

Friday  tried both my Canadian Visa cc cards  at several different Bank atm machines almost completed transaction then ‘ Insufficient Funds  on screen. Called both banks TD + CIBC  they have no issues with my accounts funds available    But seems Thai banks say no?     Will of course try again later today.   But is this a regular issue.?    I have had no problems with ATMs here since January  Making regular twice a month or so withdrawals

Expect there was a computer glitch - if ATM can not confirm account balance believe that sign will come up.  Have not used foreign cards for several decades however.  It used to be a rare issue when I did use cards and believe cards had a smaller amount they can issue without approval destination bank approval.

There have been Thai banking issues this week however as government old age payments were not made to accounts outside of Bangkok and one other area on day 10.

There have also been major computer ransomware attacks this week.

42 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Expect there was a computer glitch - if ATM can not confirm account balance believe that sign will come up.  Have not used foreign cards for several decades however.  It used to be a rare issue when I did use cards and believe cards had a smaller amount they can issue without approval destination bank approval.

There have been Thai banking issues this week however as government old age payments were not made to accounts outside of Bangkok and one other area on day 10.

Ransom attack has nothing to do with your ATM transaction, that are different companies / schools / ... who have their security not in order. There are loads of ransom attacks every day.

Edited by FritsSikkink

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Ransom attack has nothing to do with your ATM transaction, that are different companies / schools / ... who have their security not in order.

Perhaps - perhaps not.  Banks could have put up extra firewalls to defend that might have 'Microsoft' blue screen effects.  I agree probably not but computer security has been an issue this week.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps - perhaps not.  Banks could have put up extra firewalls to defend that might have 'Microsoft' blue screen effects.  I agree probably not but computer security has been an issue this week.

No, you are wrong. Like I said computer security is an issue worldwide every day and has nothing to do with his ATM issue.

Work in IT 38 years.

I have had the same problem last week or so.

"Transaction cancelled. Contact your bank"

Bank say card has no problem.

Can pay with the card at 7/11 etc, also working as normal online, but keep being refused at the ATM.

Scandic Visa Card.

My Mastercard works as normal (different bank)

15 minutes ago, MrMilk said:

I have had the same problem last week or so.

"Transaction cancelled. Contact your bank"

Bank say card has no problem.

Can pay with the card at 7/11 etc, also working as normal online, but keep being refused at the ATM.

Scandic Visa Card.

My Mastercard works as normal (different bank)

Thank you. Yes my banks say all good,  under my limit too  and has worked For 10-12 Previous withdrawals from same ATM and amounts.  since February.  Did try smaller amounts at other bank machines       Will report back if any good news ASAP     

Edited by Thaidai26
Spell

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Would be no surprise if banks were also the subject of these recent attacks. They are inherently reluctant to admit to any cyber related issues as that could cause customer concerns over security of depositors funds. The mainstream western banks rarely admit to individual attacks on their safety systems and the banking industry tends to roll such matters up into admitting that $xxx million has been lost on a yearly basis due to these cyber attacks. Details only seem to be brought out into the public realm if the miscreants are caught and court cases are reported on.

For some to state 'nothing to see here' on bank cyber risks is naive in the extreme, even those with decades of 'IT' experience.:whistling:

12 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

time for a thai bank account, if you live here ?

today I saw somebody pay a 12 baht ice cream with their phone app

loooooooooooooooooooooooool

Bangkok Bank app leaves western country banking apps in the shade @Bender Rodriguez Instant transfers and payments......yes even for twelve baht ice-cream. I'm very happy I have local bank.

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Attacks On hospital data bases.

4 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Its also possible that the exchange rate isnt what youd expect and thus it goes over limit.

it can easily be that ATM was near empty and did not have the amount you requested. Happened to me in the past.

Gives this confusing msg. 

10 hours ago, Letseng said:

Attacks On hospital data bases.

It was more than hospitals per government sources - and many paid up to almost 1 million baht to restore data.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-hospital-ransomware/thai-hospitals-and-companies-hit-by-ransomware-attacks-idUSKBN2611WV?il=0