Bus shelter collapses on waiting passengers in central Bangkok - 7 hurt

rooster59

Bus shelter collapses on waiting passengers in central Bangkok - 7 hurt

bus.JPG

Image: Daily News

Daily News reported that a bus shelter on Rajdamri Road outside a major shopping center collapsed on people waiting for a bus. 

Seven people were taken to hospital by emergency services. One man had a head injury. 

The incident happened around 1 pm.

A lottery vendor from Loei called Kaewmanee said that she turned towards the shelter after hearing a great noise. She saw people crawling out of the wreckage.

The roof of the shelter had toppled forward and plunged to the ground.

The shelter is believed to be the responsibility of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

Pathumwan District officials were soon on the scene to survey the damage telling the media that their senior leaders would give more details shortly. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-12

• Sad 2

I watched a video of this the other day and it looks like the stanchions that supported the structure had totally rusted away. I built a sun roof on the side of the house using 3'' box section and it lasted only a few years untill that too rusted away, luckely my wife spotted it and I was able to plate it. Which raises the question is the steel produced in Thailand of inferior quality.

• Like 2

Referred to pixelaoffy:

That's so true, but we have to realise, there is a different in price, in western country you'll have to pay for everything. To start with 22% vat for example.

And what do we pay in LOS? A huge different.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Like 1

The quality of basic construction here is cringe worthy. There are brick walls I saw being raised recently that I don't walk near as there was next to no mortar and what mortar they applied was mostly on the facing side of the bricks when clearing their trowels.

I'm certain that the walls are being secured mostly by the Vegemite thin layer of concrete render and prayers applied afterwards.

• Like 2

Unfortunately typical in Thailand. No inspections or maintenance of anything.

During election season, so many signs put up and seldom removed, that fall over over the place. One good thing to come out of the 2014 military coup, is no elections = no signs.

Edited by KhunKenAP
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Referred to pixelaoffy:

That's so true, but we have to realise, there is a different in price, in western country you'll have to pay for everything. To start with 22% vat for example.

And what do we pay in LOS? A huge different.

Oh dear whats that got to do with having save public areas?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

The quality of basic construction here is cringe worthy. There are brick walls I saw being raised recently that I don't walk near as there was next to no mortar and what mortar they applied was mostly on the facing side of the bricks when clearing their trowels.

I'm certain that the walls are being secured mostly by the Vegemite thin layer of concrete render and prayers applied afterwards.

Agreed i recently had  an internal wall built and before it was rendered you could see daylight through many of the joints, i think its the render that ties it together.

How many times have you drilled into a void in a wall having gound a dry joint

Edited by Almer
Additional comment
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 10:20 AM, pixelaoffy said:

In any rational country with laws to protect people there would be law suits against and huge payments for BMA but in Thailand... ? A few wais and sorry 

In principal I agree with your rationale. However as the owner of several shops here in Thailand I find I’m less anxious and re-assured that someone won’t put me out of business because they didn’t look where they going and tripped on a feather.

The UK and the west has become a minefield of litigation for a business owner. From fake rear end shunts, too hot coffee, tripping over roots from trees that have been there for years, food poisoning.

I had many years in the insurance industry and could write a book on the number of fake claims. And potential claims, like some young lad wanting to suddenly insure himself for accidents, and quizzing me over how much of his finger he would have to lose to make a claim.

I once read (I’ll stand corrected) that 10% of the UK NHS budget is spent meeting and/or defending claims.

This particular case isn’t limited to Thailand. If you’ve ever walked Manhattan, you’ll find scaffolding rigs constructed for pedestrians to walk under because the steel windows in the high rise building have corroded and fallen out.

With that said, gross negligence should be compensated for.

Another big problem is leaving open ends on tube and square section supports. You can re-paint the outside as often as you want to keep it looking pretty but the steel rusts from the inside just as fast.

Welded joints very rarely cleaned before painting is the norm', they probably start rusting 2 hours after the weld is finished and painted.

When it doesn't involve welding on pressure vessels, boilers etc then almost everywhere in the world there is no need to have well trained welders, anyone can 'stick' the parts together.