Huge "ice" bust - drugs worth nearly 500 million seized, three mules arrested

rooster59

Huge "ice" bust - drugs worth nearly 500 million seized, three mules arrested

ice.JPG

Image: Daily News

RTP top brass flanked by heavily armed commandos at Region 1 HQ in Ayutthaya announced a huge crystal meth or "ice" bust.

A total of 493 kilos of meth worth 493,000,000 baht on the street was seized in a ten wheel truck carrying corn for animal feed.

Three men called Taweechai, 24, Saengsri, 24 and Jamriang, 33, are in custody and the truck and a Mitusubishi and a Honda were taken into evidence. 

Announcing the bust was general Suchart Teerasuwat who said that the case began when a suspect was arrested in June with 400,000 Ya Ba tablets (methamphetamine and caffeine pills) in Pathum Thani, north of Bangkok. 

Information received from the suspect led investigators from many agencies to hone in on a ten wheel truck that started moving in the north of Thailand trailed by two cars on Tuesday of this week.

The convoy moved to Phayao on Thursday then headed south to Ayutthaya where at 5 am yesterday the suspects were apprehended in a gas station in Hanta sub-district. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-12

• Like 1

Look at Myanmar and no further, there where's the manufacturing bases, with corrupt officials on both sides of the border seizures like this will continue for ever, on every shipment that the stop countless other are coming though...

2 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

From reports I’ve read in the past pseudo ephedrine is around $70usd per kg. That’d be a retail price I’m guessing. Hydrochloride acid, red phosphorus & hydroiodic acid are all extremely cheap in bulk. 
At an fairly wild guess if it cost more than $100usd to make a kg I’d be surprised, so this load would be less than $50Kusd in raw materials? 1.5mil baht. Not really putting a dent in anything if that’s the costs. 

(Note: Obviously I have no real experience or idea, just guessing from random internet articles I’ve seen over time) 

I've read where a wholesale price per kilo in Myanmar is 1500 so your figures are probably close. The Chinese are also supplying the Mexican cartels with various substances also.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/meth-syndicate/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

The Chinese manufactured fentanyl has really overtaken the heroin market at least in North America. They're even cutting the heroin that is being sold with it for it's cheaper, more potent and becoming higher in demand. When NA cracked down on prescription opioids, counterfeit tablets cut with fentanyl to replace them appeared, causing rampant loss of life due to overdose. The knee jerk reaction by the medical authorities has inadvertently caused huge numbers of unnecessary casualties, and in Canada the police chiefs throughout the country have petitioned for total decriminalization as a harm reduction method - they realize this war on drugs is a total futile action. Imo there are many world wide highly placed business and government players that never want drugs decriminalized,  there's just too much unaccountable money available..  

"there's just too much unaccountable money available.. ".

Yes, and (worldwide) the ones who get busted are rivals to the ones that Government officials are doing business with.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

Just imagine how much is not seized. Then you can get an idea of the use of this drug in Thailand. 

Not saying its not a dangerous drug but with such high use one would expect far more violence if it was as dangerous as some people make it out to be. I think use of this drug is quite common in Thailand. 

Its cheaper then beer gives you a party feeling longer. That is why its used. Cheap and available.

They should test for it after traffic accidents I am pretty sure its really dangerous when driving (most drugs are). They should do more then just alcohol tests after an accident.

• Like 1

That's a good seizure, but probably just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended).   

Think how many criminal Thais and foreigners have managed to launder their drug money into 'legitimate' profit making businesses - a lot of it gravitates to gogo bars, big brothels, soapies and other sordid establishments. Other drug cash into properties of course and invested into other business ventures.  Think of places like Pattaya and the dodgy crooked owners sitting pretty who dodged being detected, never paid tax and now live the life of luxury.  Lavish lifestyles, fancy cars, condos and women.  Some of them stick out like the dogs proverbials! Jail tattoos, show off 'bling' jewelry, rough as guts half illiterate, surrounded by other dodgy mates, but surprisingly very successful at business! 

Even through COVID19 lockdowns they likely have millions to billions of dollars to keep them from losing sleep and feeling suicidal from financial ruin. Nothing better than seeing criminal scum get caught.  

• Like 2

Where will the keep the three Mules do they have an animal sanctuary in Bangkok and what happens when they are taken to court is it two stomps of the hoof to plead guilty and one ee haw to plead not guilty 

Edited by crazykopite