retirement visa ac

It can not be a no access or money market (share) account - you must have immediate access.  But it can be the normal fixed deposit cash account that you lose interest if you access (normal FD account).  Or the more normal savings account.

• Like 2

Best not to have ATM or Internet access so you do not make a withdrawal by accident and take you below your 800,000.  There have been a number of post here where this has happened by accident.
PS;  It is also more secure!

There are no real rulz....  it depends if a decent cofee has been enjoyed that morning.... (Technically I beleive they have a hmm discretion in these matters)  so I would rather NOT get the bank intrest and not have to miss out on my visa extension, carry a suitcase of 2 copies of everything, photos, chanotes, origanals and copies........ if you dont they are quite creative in some new item for you to "need..."

• Like 1

As others say, yes, as long as you can withdraw the deposit; normally you'll loose the interest.

I've been using 12-month fixed deposit for more than 10-years for extension of stay based on retirement, and I've never had any problems; more than 10-years ago the local immigration office also accepted mutual funds with bonds.

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe frequent review of account balance is the most important security consideration myself so would keep internet access even if not having ATM card.  The reports of persons making withdrawals are, I suspect, almost all because they had no understanding of the recent rule change, even if they received the printout - although suspect some may have just had senior moments.

Dont agree with this . I had a serious medical event at 53 and the hospital took my atm card , and billed it 100k. 

I do recall them yelling at me if it was ok to take my card  and I said 'ok' ( ie  ,  I thought they were holding it ) I just dont recall the part that they said they were taking 100k out immediately.  ... I was barely concious  , but I  had said I had good insurance , also..

So on day 3 and 4 in hospital the Insurance Company  reps are calling ( World Nomads Insurance  - highly recommended btw ) promising both me and then the  Hospital Accounts Department they will pay , yet the next day Im going home and visit Accounts , and they ask if Im ready to pay the 'outstanding remainer of 119,000 baht ' and that  my card has already paid 100, 000  baht !

No signature , or even over the phone  verbal approval from me , they had withdrawn 100k from my account.

And now the 880k  in my account , showed  780k on my bank account statement.

UNDER 800k and a plobrem !

Your idea is good , because it probably neccesitates keeping your  'daily working  account ' separate.

I now pay my bank 500 bt a year extra  so that my phone  receives sms notification of any withdrawals  btw.

Edited by zaZa9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

Dont agree with this . I had a serious medical event at 53 and the hospital took my atm card , and billed it 100k. 

I do recall them yelling at me if it was ok to take my card  and I said 'ok' ( ie  ,  I thought they were holding it ) I just dont recall the part that they said they were taking 100k out immediately.  ... I was barely concious  , but I  had said I had good insurance , also..

So on day 3 and 4 in hospital the Insurance Company  reps are calling ( World Nomads Insurance  - highly recommended btw ) promising both me and then the  Hospital Accounts Department they will pay , yet the next day Im going home and visit Accounts , and they ask if Im ready to pay the 'outstanding remainer of 119,000 baht ' and that  my card has already paid 100, 000  baht !

No signature , or even over the phone  verbal approval from me , they had withdrawn 100k from my account.

And now the 880k  in my account , showed  780k on my bank account statement.

UNDER 800k and a plobrem !

Your idea is good , because it probably neccesitates keeping your  'daily working  account ' separate.

I now pay my bank 500 bt a year extra  so that my phone  receives sms notification of any withdrawals  btw.

That's why a separate fixed account for the extension-of-stay deposit is good, if one can afford it. Just keep straight 800k baht all time – i.e. withdraw the interest – easy for the immigration officer, and no surprises with an account that suddenly is just under the limit.

And preferably have another rainy-day-account for emergency, which can be with an ATM card, if that is financially possible.

• Like 1