Anyone had old model T-Max 500cc 2011

Agusts

I see a few of these come on market at reasonable price, the new models are just redicoulusly expensive , even used with high mileage, but these are better priced, with R15 wheels, and more power than my old Forza. So the things I'm missing and like...

But, of course there is a but, this model has no ABS brakes, a bit of worry for a heavy scooter and 45HP of power, I bet those wheels lock up easily..., big concern ! 

Also these are old model chain driven, not sure, I read on reviews those chains are not neading maintenance like normal bikes, but may need regular service. And does Yamaha has parts for these, or need to order from Japan - and I'm sure it cost a lot...!? Hence I ask if anyone had or has this model....

Then again it is a fine maxi-scooter, in a different league to Forza and Xmax etc... ????

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I forgot to mention I went for a view and a short test drive of one of these a few weeks ago, the Tmax 2011 was for sale and was hardly used at all, like under 3000km, basically brand new...! First falang owner bought it in 2011 from Bangkok Yamaha and never used it..., amazing , people buy expensive bikes like toys and never ride them...!?

Anyway, I only had 5min on it and went up to 70/80kph for a short period. Brakes were great, dual front disk, seating position more forward and higher than old model Forza, large windshield, but that still caused more wind buffeting as I was seating higher up. I didn't feel the power of 500cc and acceleration much at slow speeds against 300cc, but I guess it comes to it's own over 100kph.

One think immediately obvious, it was very noisy, and not from exhaust but right in the middle of my leg in front of the seat, where I guess the engine was, my Forza has almost no noise from there and very smooth, this was not at all - very obvious and apparent in comparison...! A bit off-putting...

The price was more than double mine, and no ABS and being an old model with expensive Japanese parts kind of made me pass, but maybe I was a bit too quick to dismiss it, I guess it's still an upgrade from 4 year old Forza, even at 9 years old.....! 

The new Forza is a 350cc I believe?

If you need more power that that, Honda have some auto bikes, the NC700X, X-ADV750 + more.

I seen the NC quite cheap 2nd hand. 

T-max is very nice but as you said crazy expensive hence you don't see many around so I would stay away unless you are a do it yourself kind of guy.

X-ADV750 for sale here, fully loaded for touring.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/honda-x-adv-750cc-dct-motorcycle-loaded-with-accessories-for-touring-400940

• Like 1

I have old model 2016 Forza that is 300 - well, in fact 279cc...

There's also the Honda CTX700 with DCT, more of a cruiser than NC700 tourer - I like it, but not many of those around..., occasionally come up for sale for around 160k baht...(I don't think they are made here).

Used X-ADV becomes more reseanable next couple of years, specially we see what Forza 750 looks like in tomorrow's announcement, and how it is priced..., I saw an X-Adv 2017 with low mileage for 270k baht, it's not bad but still 100k more than a bit older NC or CTX...!

Xmax is the front runner in Maxi scooter category in Thailand, in regard to power and performance, value for money, availability, spares and service, and holding value for selling off later...

We are renting an Xmax 300 and a new model Forza 300 soon for a day with a friend to test both and swap and compare - when this horrid weather finally moves on of course...., for now they are the only sensible upgrade options (for me).

New Forza 350 (mk3) will hold it's value for a year or two at least, so not good value on used market..., but due to that the used Forza 300 mk1 and mk2 prices have collapsed recently, while Xmax still holding it's value, amazingly not affected - I guess maybe due to hardcore Yamaha and Xmax fans dismissing Forza 350...!!! ?

• Like 1

Yes it makes sense renting both of them and then make up your mind, best way actually; try them out and see which one suit you best.

I read that the Xmax is a bit more sports orientated than Forza but I can't comment since I haven't tried either.

• Like 1

I had an older T-MAX 500 cc in Australia. they are an excellent motorcycle/scooter.

Chain drive ???   no they have a belt.

There is an abundance of after market parts available for these bikes as they are so popular.

as for comparing it to a forza.............. you gotta be joking, a forza or Xmax is not in the same league as a t-max. People who say it is are just regretting that they did not buy one.

The only thing in Thailand that compares is a BMW 650 scooter.

Relax, buy the T-Max and enjoy.

If you can't find parts for it PM me and i can show you how to find them

Thanks for the info, I checked and the T-max 2011 I was after is sold now, model 2011 and earlier had chains, enclosed inside a case. Later models are belt-drive, that is outside and you can see it on the back wheel... , look it up...

T-max is in a different category of Maxi scooters than Forza and Xmax for sure, from power and performance, and also made in Japan...! But that makes it expensive to buy and maintain and repair. So have to consider that, but yeah, money no issue they are a blast...

Forza 750 just announced today:

Edited by Agusts

10 hours ago, moose7117 said:

cheapest i could find on net for sale is a 2009 for 55000 baht.

If you mean Tmax 2009 that is 155000 baht..., that's sounds about right. The one I saw only had 3000km and almost brand new with one falang owner from new since 2011 for 170k (reduced from 180 and I think could still haggle a bit), now that I think about it, it was a real bargain gone...!

On 10/14/2020 at 9:47 PM, Agusts said:

Thanks for the info, I checked and the T-max 2011 I was after is sold now, model 2011 and earlier had chains, enclosed inside a case. Later models are belt-drive, that is outside and you can see it on the back wheel... , look it up...

T-max is in a different category of Maxi scooters than Forza and Xmax for sure, from power and performance, and also made in Japan...! But that makes it expensive to buy and maintain and repair. So have to consider that, but yeah, money no issue they are a blast...

So you are saying that T-Max models released before 2011 were chain driven. is this your final answer ?

better do your research BUB !

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

If you mean Tmax 2009 that is 155000 baht..., that's sounds about right. The one I saw only had 3000km and almost brand new with one falang owner from new since 2011 for 170k (reduced from 180 and I think could still haggle a bit), now that I think about it, it was a real bargain gone...!

Narp !

I didn't stutter !

55 000 baht

as in fifty five thousand baht !

4 hours ago, moose7117 said:

So you are saying that T-Max models released before 2011 were chain driven. is this your final answer ?

better do your research BUB !

I'm surprised you didn't know about this, there are many resources on internet that refers to it , just do a search, here is wiki for an example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TMAX

2012–2014Edit

The fourth generation TMAX had a redesigned body and powertrain. Cylinders were bored-out by 2 mm, increasing displacement to 530cc.[19] Other engine modifications included a newly designed pent-roof combustion chamber and a reworking of the fuel injection. The continuously variable transmission and final drive system were redesigned; the previous chain drive enclosed in an oil-bath (attached to one side of the swingarm) was replaced by a belt drive with a separate die-cast aluminum swingarm.[37][38][39]

There is sure a big a range of prices for these, I guess it depends on condition and mileage, 63k km to 20k to 3k, but the 2011 to 2009/2008 probably shouldn't matter much, same model, also location of the seller and how long he's being trying to sell it - I doubt many people are after these, so it could stay on for sale for months, and price go down on desperation , the one I saw was for sale since Feb. this year.....! 

I think the biggest issue is taking a 10 year old model Tmax to Yamaha for repair, then they open it up and say we have to wait for 3 or 4 weeks for a part to arrive from Japan- no bike for the period...!? And the price..., get a mortgage, ...lol

But even these old ones should leave any Forza or Xmax well behind...

On 10/13/2020 at 8:47 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

The new Forza is a 350cc I believe?

The "old"Forza 300 is/was not 300. What makes you thin the new one will be 350?

Oh wait it is 330cc. So not 350. I wonder why scooter manufacturers are so careless with their descriptions?

Edited by VocalNeal