Condo market devastated by pandemic - Chinese can't pay for their properties

1 hour ago, andre47 said:

''Even those who had already bought units were unable to continue with payments due to problems in transferring funds as they couldn't get to Thailand. ''

Why cannot transfer funds?

Chinese government rules are very strict on currency exports.

Strict currency controls in China are the reason why the Chinese have to bring cash on their person to pay for their condo liabilities.  They are now pouring money into Bitcoin, to get around the regulations. Bitcoin can be transferred instantaneously with only miniscule charges, or kept in a digital wallet of some kind until it needs to be used.  Large purchases of Bitcoin in restrictive countries like China, Argentina and Turkey are helping to bolster the price.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andre47 said:

''Even those who had already bought units were unable to continue with payments due to problems in transferring funds as they couldn't get to Thailand. ''

Why cannot transfer funds?

I did read that China was restricting money transfers to foreign countries.

I did wonder where all the customers were coming from for all these very expensive condos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Calls are being made for a government 5 billion fund to be established to help with loans for repayments to help condo developers who have cash flow difficulties due to the lack of inflows from foreign investors. 

I'm sure they are rich enough to wait it out. Why should taxpayers help people that were only in it for the profit? Not like Thailand needs them, is it?

• Like 2