Current state of medical tourism/visas?

talfarlow

Only some hospitals can do it. You start by contacting the hospital and provide them with the documentation they request. They then contact the Ministry of Public Health of Thailand which will inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand to proceed with the COE which will be issued by the relevant Embassy.

Unless you already hold a valid re-entry permit you'll need to get a visa at same time, but that is the least of the difficulty.

You will need to apply on the relevant Embassy website and meet all the other COE requirements e.g. proof of insurance that covers COVID, and travel by a chartered repatriation flight (unless coming from neighboring country in which case land entry may be approved) . In terms of the requires Alternative State Quarantine, for medical travel this is at the hospital concerned. You must remain at that hospital for at least 14 days even if the treatment is completed before that.

People have done it but word is that it is very difficult and time consuming to arrange. The international hospitals have complained to this effect, far  fewer people are managing to get in than want to come.

I haven't heard of anyone coming for "wellness" purposes nor of any spas etc having permission to do this. There is some kind of process for a facility to get approved to receive medical tourists and I think so far only large private hospitals have managed it.

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Only some hospitals can do it. You start by contacting the hospital and provide them with the documentation they request. They then contact the Ministry of Public Health of Thailand which will inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand to proceed with the COE which will be issued by the relevant Embassy.

Unless you already hold a valid re-entry permit you'll need to get a visa at same time, but that is the least of the difficulty.

You will need to apply on the relevant Embassy website and meet all the other COE requirements e.g. proof of insurance that covers COVID, and travel by a chartered repatriation flight (unless coming from neighboring country in which case land entry may be approved) . In terms of the requires Alternative State Quarantine, for medical travel this is at the hospital concerned. You must remain at that hospital for at least 14 days even if the treatment is completed before that.

People have done it but word is that it is very difficult and time consuming to arrange. The international hospitals have complained to this effect, far  fewer people are managing to get in than want to come.

I haven't heard of anyone coming for "wellness" purposes nor of any spas etc having permission to do this. There is some kind of process for a facility to get approved to receive medical tourists and I think so far only large private hospitals have managed it.

my son works for Bangkok hospital Bangkok, and its his job to 'recruit' overseas patients to use his hospital, i asked him the other week about these medical tourists and his reply was its almost impossible to tick all the boxes, regarding doctors signing paperwork etc etc

Cheryl and Steve,

Thank you so much for your responses, thoroughness etc...

I'd seen ads in a couple of places (can't recall now) for medical services - and some suggestion about medical tourism etc.. I was finding it hard to believe you couldn't see your spouse or kids but a nose job got you in the door! I imagine we'll see an industry blooming around the globe for "easy entry" approaches that just leave people stuck at the gate somewhere.

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Suppose one does obtain a CoE and visa for medical reasons. Is it possible to do visa extension or you must leave the country when the visa expires(3 months?) 

7 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Suppose one does obtain a CoE and visa for medical reasons. Is it possible to do visa extension or you must leave the country when the visa expires(3 months?) 

Only if you meet criteria - either further stay in medical grounds (need hospital letter saying you are unable to travel, and for how long) or meet criteria for an extension based on retirement or other category. You can't just extend for tourism.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone report anything new on this process? I'm back to the point I was a couple of months ago unfortunately - would definitely go for medical treatment if possible...just looks daunting at best. Anything anyone can add to this topic? Thanks everyone.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:34 PM, Sheryl said:

Only if you meet criteria - either further stay in medical grounds (need hospital letter saying you are unable to travel, and for how long) or meet criteria for an extension based on retirement or other category. You can't just extend for tourism.

Is this still true? I'm seeing different packages for sale that are reasonable for the 2 week quarantine.

Edited by talfarlow
A mistake.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, steve187 said:

my son works for Bangkok hospital Bangkok, and its his job to 'recruit' overseas patients to use his hospital, i asked him the other week about these medical tourists and his reply was its almost impossible to tick all the boxes, regarding doctors signing paperwork etc etc

Hi Steve,

I'm curious if your son  works at Bangkok General? I'm also curious to hear if there's anything new on this? Maybe you could recommend a contact even? Thank you.

It remains very hard to get a medical visa/COE and now that Embassies are issuing Touriust Visas, little advantage to it -- easier to just come in on TR.

The only difference is on TR you have to quarantine in a hotel whereas on medicalk visa quarantine is at the hospital. I suspect hotels both cheaper and more comfortable.

Just now, Sheryl said:

It remains very hard to get a medical visa/COE and now that Embassies are issuing Touriust Visas, little advantage to it -- easier to just come in on TR.

The only difference is on TR you have to quarantine in a hotel whereas on medicalk visa quarantine is at the hospital. I suspect hotels both cheaper and more comfortable.

You're referring to temporary residency TR?