Man who allegedly preyed on drunk people charged with robbery

rooster59

Man who allegedly preyed on drunk people charged with robbery

By THE NATION

800_a92a8c54f812b83.png

A man was arrested on Friday (September 11) for allegedly robbing drunk people when they were asleep.

Ban Chang police in Rayong province arrested Pongsakorn (last name withheld) aged 41, after a victim reported to police about being robbed and investigation pointed to the accused.

Police said that the victim was drunk after visiting an entertainment venue. He decided to park the car for sleeping and found his belongings stolen.

After interrogation, Pongsakorn reportedly confessed to committing robbery on several occasions.

The accused, a taxi biker, reportedly said that he targeted mostly drunk persons who had parked their vehicles for sleeping. The accused said he would first try to awake them. In case, the men continued sleeping, he robbed them.

Pongsakorn reportedly also told police that he had sold his victims’ belongings for cash. The man was charged with robbery.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394432

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-13

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

There are scores of bars that practise this technique and quite shamefacedly.  I stopped going to one when I realised I was being short-changed by the mamasan on a regular basis.

"There are scores of bars that practise this technique and quite shamefacedly". 

You're claiming the the owners/managers of bars plan to rob their drunk customers after they've left the premises in their vehicles?  Seriously? 

Presumably, you mean "quite unashamedly", the opposite of "quite shamefacedly"!

Edited by Hi Tea

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

There are scores of bars that practise this technique and quite shamefacedly.  I stopped going to one when I realised I was being short-changed by the mamasan on a regular basis.

I used to frequent a bar in Bangkok and drink with an old friend who was ex-Royal Navy. he strongly suspected that the mamasan/lady in charge of the check bins would drop extra slips in your check-bin when you got pished (inevitably), which he called "Depth Charges"????

She was dubbed "The UnaBomber".????

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think in England you can still get done trying to sleep it off

In the UK, if you're just in the car with the keys I believe you can be done for 'being drunk in charge of a vehicle', even if the engine ain't running, and you haven't been, or will not be driving.

(Someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

In the UK, if you're just in the car with the keys I believe you can be done for 'being drunk in charge of a vehicle', even if the engine ain't running, and you haven't been, or will not be driving.

(Someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

You're correct, a few years ago a mate of mine had a few over the top & decided to sleep it off in the back of the car in the rear pub car park... police did a circuit later and investigated.. he got done !

I think it depends on city/rural policing... he was unlucky.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The accused, a taxi biker, reportedly said that he targeted mostly drunk persons who had parked their vehicles for sleeping. The accused said he would first try to awake them. In case, the men continued sleeping, he robbed them.

It would be hot, but wouldn't you have the windows up and lock the car doors?

26 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It would be hot, but wouldn't you have the windows up and lock the car doors?

Would be worth the cost of the petrol to lock it and idle the engine and run the AC. Unless there is fear of it running out in the next 12 hours or so!!

20 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

"There are scores of bars that practise this technique and quite shamefacedly". 

You're claiming the the owners/managers of bars plan to rob their drunk customers after they've left the premises in their vehicles?  Seriously? 

Presumably, you mean "quite unashamedly", the opposite of "quite shamefacedly"!

Forgive my errors - too early in the morning. 

'he targeted mostly drunk persons' was the practice to which I was referring.  The mamasan used to short change drunks (me) when they were paying for room hire.  I asked the girl involved & she agreed it was always 300 baht & her share was 100.  Again not a trace of a blush.

'shamefacedly' started out as 'unabashed' mutated into 'unashamedly' but lost its 'un'.

If you fancy a full-time job correcting me, go to   https://mwbell2000.wixsite.com/mikebell

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

You're correct, a few years ago a mate of mine had a few over the top & decided to sleep it off in the back of the car in the rear pub car park... police did a circuit later and investigated.. he got done !

I think it depends on city/rural policing... he was unlucky.

If you had the money, a good barrister, & the inclination, maybe he could make the case that a pub car park is in fact private property, as well as there being no 'intent' to drive.

Must be one of the hardest charges to 'get off' from, but many years ago I think Boxing promoter Frank Warren did just that, with a very good (v expensive) barrister. If memory serves, the kicker was that Franks urine sample had been stored at room temperature for more than a certain period of time. He wasn't banned from driving anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Forgive my errors - too early in the morning. 

'he targeted mostly drunk persons' was the practice to which I was referring.  The mamasan used to short change drunks (me) when they were paying for room hire.  I asked the girl involved & she agreed it was always 300 baht & her share was 100.  Again not a trace of a blush.

'shamefacedly' started out as 'unabashed' mutated into 'unashamedly' but lost its 'un'.

If you fancy a full-time job correcting me, go to   https://mwbell2000.wixsite.com/mikebell

No thanks.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:32 AM, PatOngo said:

Why does anyone deserve to get robbed? They were sleeping off their drunken state, not driving!

Pah.... shouldn't even take  a car when going out drinking and likely were still drunk when they decided to move on. They deserve to be robbed of their car keys.

Edited by jacko45k