BANGKOK
giddyup

Best primer to paint steel

I want a pergola built at the front of the house and wondering if it might be better to build from steel rather than wood. Wood is expensive here and you also have termite problems. The steel will need to be painted in a colour to match the house, but a good primer will be needed first. Any recommendations?

Saw some undercoat / primer yesterday in Home Pro, it was labelled  something like 

" Galvanised " or similar - didn't pay all that much attention but could be worth checking out. 

• Like 1

The red oxide is used a lot but I don't like it.  Have to thin it down or it coagulates making a lumpy surface.  And thinned it doesn't seem to coat very well.

Then I started using "Duck" brand with is a silver color and that was good until it too starts to coagulate (after a few weeks) and same problem as above.

Last time I went in, Duck was out of stock and the sales guy let me to the cheap one "SaveD".  I was skeptical at first but really like it.  It is a white color, puts down a nice one coat primer (being deft with the brush).  And so far, it hasn't coagulated or even looked like it needs thinning.

SaveD primer.jpg

17 minutes ago, jadee said:

I like Rust-Oleum, you can get it from Home Pro. There's a spray version that combines primer and undercoat that's pretty good. Covers really well compared with others. 

Agree.  But, if used as a primer for eventual top coats of enamel (or whatever) it is very expensive alternative for that purpose. 

Best in what way? The absolute best primer I have used in my life is TOA RusTech, and I've used hundreds of gallons of it.

But it is expensive, has to be mixed pretty precisely  and has only an 80 minute (if I remember correctly) pot life. We mostly sprayed it, but it brushes and rolls well too. 

I If you wan to brush or roll on an inexpensive primer and want to re-coat with a decent gloss enamel, I would go with the TOA red oxide primer and finish with their Glipton (Clipton?) enamel. I've had good success with these products on fabricated steel products.

I would also recommend using channel and angle rather than tubing and prime the the sticks before you and after you cut them up and weld them together. Ideally, you could use an intermediate gray base coat between the red oxide and the finish coat, particularly if you're going with a light color.

• Like 2

If you want a lasting primer you need to use a two part epoxy primer, this is all we use for offshore coatings, "Jotafix Epoxy Primer" is available locally.

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

If you want a lasting primer

What does that mean?  A primer that does not need an overcoat?  Or...?

Are you going to use Galvanised steel? Its not much more expensive. 

Turbo galvanising primer is available in white grey silver and black. Ot quite good. And also in spray cans. 

The jotun range (yellow cans) is a very good paint. I used thier oxide primer and a 2 part polyurethane paint then a top coat. 

Surface prep is what makes your coatings last. 

The alkld enamels are synthetic a s very hard wearing and pretty cheap 

I am thinking to build a Small Pergola with Aluminium...and try to avoid the oxide, but must to check the price. 3x3 m. Will be enough.

I just let my steel rust, the steel is cheaper than the paint and probably lasts as long.

If they rust through, I'll just weld some more together.

These have been up 15 months ....... suspect they'll last at least 5 years.

Don't understand why the paint is so expensive here.

IMG_20200913_161225.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

A racial slur and response containing it have been deleted.  I'm told that's rules violation.

I used this :

B6A93458-FB74-4C78-AD23-9AD97682C87A.thumb.jpeg.ccc6eadea2bb0e4fe174183511402149.jpeg

No problems in rusting in 2 1/2 years on a sala I built:

2C5AA964-DFA0-4584-821B-EC1240EDE13C.thumb.jpeg.07cfe70112e2c9b939982fc4e3f4db68.jpeg

• Like 2

I was in Dohome the other day and saw a new line of metal paint that came in a few colours, can even use on galvanized items, it was 500bht a gallon...:thumbsup:

My front gate and railings will be seeing the stuff soon...

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just let my steel rust, the steel is cheaper than the paint and probably lasts as long.

If they rust through, I'll just weld some more together.

These have been up 15 months ....... suspect they'll last at least 5 years.

Don't understand why the paint is so expensive here.

Some people like their stuff to look nice.

Paint is expensive here compared to where?

• Like 1