ATM rejecting Thai debit card, then changing its mind!

Had a funny experience yesterday morning - I put in my Thai bank card into an ATM for that bank.

Firstly received error message my card has expired (it hasn't).

Second time ATM said it can't read the chip.

Third time lucky, it worked as normal.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar happen to them? I checked there was no dirt on the chip of my card so I can only presume there is something wrong with the ATM reader/scanner?

Cheers guys.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Noisyaircon2020 said:

I checked there was no dirt on the chip of my card so I can only presume there is something wrong with the ATM reader/scanner?

These are usually contactless cards where dirt on the chip wouldn't make any difference as communication is by radio waves using an antenna built into the plastic of the card.  Could be an issue on the ATM side but just as easily could be a fault in the card.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, treetops said:

These are usually contactless cards where dirt on the chip wouldn't make any difference as communication is by radio waves using an antenna built into the plastic of the card.  Could be an issue on the ATM side but just as easily could be a fault in the card.

Thanks treetops. Am puzzled why it failed the first 2 times but suddenly worked the 3rd time though lol

1 minute ago, treetops said:

These are usually contactless cards where dirt on the chip wouldn't make any difference as communication is by radio waves using an antenna built into the plastic of the card.

Are you sure?

None of the three Thai debit cards that I have has a wireless (NFC) function. No corresponding symbol.

They all have the chip and the gold coated contacts.

It's not that long that magnetic stripe (!) has been abandoned and all cards equipped with the chip.

And yes, I happened to me recently that I got an error message on a card that works flawlessly on other occasions. Over the years a "few" incidents.

Don't forget that it is not necessarily caused by the card. The reading device of the ATM could also have contact problems/be "dirty".

(my most exciting ATM incident was a crash of the Windows embedded system of a Kasikorn ATM after some specific walk through the menu. And the card would not spit out immideately :wacko:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

I thought it was pretty universal, but maybe not.

Could be latest version? My Bangkok Bank card is about 2(?) years old.

Just checked: Bangkok Bank "Bangkok Bank UnionPay Platinum Credit Card" has wireless.

(not for me as foreign retiree :smile:)

But still the question is, whether ATMs work wireless in any case?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Glitchy communications between ATMs and bank servers is not an uncommon problem....can result in all kinds of misleading ATM error messages....even make a person thing their card has been blocked when in fact the ATM is just failing to connect to bank servers properly or at all. 

• Like 1

Oh yes!  I've had this happening to me countless times now & have rung the Kasikorn call centre repeatedly to no avail.  It seems to be something to do with the fact that when I use the app to get a QR code to make a cordless withdrawal, it doesn't like having to go back to using the card again.  Yet the card is also used for online transactions.  Out of province withdrawals using the card incur a ฿15 fee but no fee is charged when you make a widrawal using the very same ATM and the contactless QR code.

I've ended up thinking it's just a way to try to 'nudge' you not to use the card in an ATM.  I've noticed that the Thais like the system of 'nudges'.  The drawback is that you can't use the QR code in other Banks' ATMs whereas you can use the card but at a cost of ฿20 per withdrawal.

Well, I was going to open a thread on this but I found out what happened and I just saw this.

In May my local *Bangkok Bank ATM kept giving me the expired message when it had months to go. I went into the branch (Bangkok suburbs) and they said don't worry come back 3-4 weeks before the expiry date and we will issue a new card. The card would let me make the transaction if I pressed the "continue" button.

Well I went on a long visit to the in-laws in July and found my card will not work at all in the nearest Bangkok Bank branch ATM now (still months before the expiry date on the card) and there was no "continue" option.

I was finally told by them that a new six digit PIN number has been introduced so "old" cards with four digit codes no longer work. They suggested it might still work in another Bank's ATM machine though. 

The Up Country *Bangkok Bank branch of course cannot issue me a new ATM card unless I open an account with them, but I can use my book during bank opening times for a small fee (varies by amount withdrawn).

So, is the six digit code an excuse too and just more TIT face saving B/S? Does it happen to Thai customers, although I've seen one or two annoyed after using the ATM, my missus has a new card with a six digit code so I don't know for sure.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

Newer BBL cards have been 6 digit pin and chip type for several years - this is true of all Thai banks now AFAIK.  Mag strip only cards are a danger for cloning and should all be replaced.  Believe banks have extended usage times for old type cards but may be over.

7 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The Up Country *Bangkok Bank branch of course cannot issue me a new ATM card unless I open an account with them,

That might be true but here in Bangkok any branch can issue an ATM card - it is not like a passbook that only original branch can provide.

On 9/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, treetops said:

My Bangkok Bank card certainly is, although I can't say for other banks.  I thought it was pretty universal, but maybe not.

My new Bangkok Bank ATM card is all 3, contactless, chip and magnetic strip. However my credit card is only chip and mag strip.

Maybe older ATMs still use chip. If that is the case sometimes oil/acid from skin can cause contact problems and maybe the 3 insertions the contacts cleaned enough to make contact.

That happened to me over many years with different credit card with a chip also, once lately in Thailand, every time I did rub the chip a few times on my shirt, for instance on my left shoulder or my breast, ant it works again every time, I have been said it could be due to a little problem caused by static electricity, by rubbing the chip it is discharge I have no idea if this explanation is true or not but it worked all the time for me!

On 9/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, treetops said:

My Bangkok Bank card certainly is, although I can't say for other banks.  I thought it was pretty universal, but maybe not.

My Bangkok Bank card was having the issue described by OP intermittently this year. I visited a branch, the staff took to the chip section with a pencil eraser, and said to try it. Hasn't been a problem since.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:18 AM, lopburi3 said:

Newer BBL cards have been 6 digit pin and chip type for several years - this is true of all Thai banks now AFAIK.  Mag strip only cards are a danger for cloning and should all be replaced.  Believe banks have extended usage times for old type cards but may be over.

That might be true but here in Bangkok any branch can issue an ATM card - it is not like a passbook that only original branch can provide.

My ATM card is Chip & Pin but 4 digit and only three or maybe four years old and any change should should take place with the expiry date. The Branch in Bangkok should have changed it in May otherwise.

Yes I know that which is why I pointed out the Isan branch was a Bangkok Bank. What you say doesn't help as once my passbook is full I will have to go back to Bangkok to get a new one (and an ATM card). We had intended to stay here until "normality" returns to the world.