ATM rejecting Thai debit card, then changing its mind!

Had a funny experience yesterday morning - I put in my Thai bank card into an ATM for that bank.

Firstly received error message my card has expired (it hasn't).

Second time ATM said it can't read the chip.

Third time lucky, it worked as normal.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar happen to them? I checked there was no dirt on the chip of my card so I can only presume there is something wrong with the ATM reader/scanner?

Cheers guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My latest Krungsri debit has the 'contactless' symbol on it, although I've not actually used it.   However that system is not used in ATMs. They still make physical contact with the chip. So

The ATM was probably having "communications" issues....not connecting to the bank servers properly/intermittently.  Your card is probably fine.     And like Moonlover said ATMs make physical

Are you sure? None of the three Thai debit cards that I have has a wireless (NFC) function. No corresponding symbol. They all have the chip and the gold coated contacts. It's not that l

16 minutes ago, Noisyaircon2020 said:

I checked there was no dirt on the chip of my card so I can only presume there is something wrong with the ATM reader/scanner?

These are usually contactless cards where dirt on the chip wouldn't make any difference as communication is by radio waves using an antenna built into the plastic of the card.  Could be an issue on the ATM side but just as easily could be a fault in the card.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, treetops said:

These are usually contactless cards where dirt on the chip wouldn't make any difference as communication is by radio waves using an antenna built into the plastic of the card.  Could be an issue on the ATM side but just as easily could be a fault in the card.

Thanks treetops. Am puzzled why it failed the first 2 times but suddenly worked the 3rd time though lol

1 minute ago, treetops said:

These are usually contactless cards where dirt on the chip wouldn't make any difference as communication is by radio waves using an antenna built into the plastic of the card.

Are you sure?

None of the three Thai debit cards that I have has a wireless (NFC) function. No corresponding symbol.

They all have the chip and the gold coated contacts.

It's not that long that magnetic stripe (!) has been abandoned and all cards equipped with the chip.

And yes, I happened to me recently that I got an error message on a card that works flawlessly on other occasions. Over the years a "few" incidents.

Don't forget that it is not necessarily caused by the card. The reading device of the ATM could also have contact problems/be "dirty".

(my most exciting ATM incident was a crash of the Windows embedded system of a Kasikorn ATM after some specific walk through the menu. And the card would not spit out immideately :wacko:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, treetops said:

I thought it was pretty universal, but maybe not.

Could be latest version? My Bangkok Bank card is about 2(?) years old.

Just checked: Bangkok Bank "Bangkok Bank UnionPay Platinum Credit Card" has wireless.

(not for me as foreign retiree :smile:)

But still the question is, whether ATMs work wireless in any case?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I've had loads of problems recently with BKB Mastercard and TMB VISA debit cards.

Think it's linked to the banking network having communication problems.

Put it in another machine outside a bank, and it usually works.

Edited by BritManToo

Glitchy communications between ATMs and bank servers is not an uncommon problem....can result in all kinds of misleading ATM error messages....even make a person thing their card has been blocked when in fact the ATM is just failing to connect to bank servers properly or at all. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Noisyaircon2020 said:

Thanks all

The scammers need you to put in your number 3 times so they can make a duplicate card.......only joking,,,,