Death Benefit

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

AFAIR there used to be a death benefit o something like GBP 2,000 but for Thailand the benefit was stopped a few years ago.

When he dies the State pension dies with him because he was living in Thailand.

You could be eligible if your partner either:

paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year
died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
When they died you must have been:

under State Pension age
living in the UK or a country that pays bereavement benefits.

If he has other pensions then he will need to talk with them to find out what is happening and how much each pension will be reduced by.

More information here. 

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment#:~:text=You must claim within 3,Payment%2C and Widowed Parent's Allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/where-you-can-claim-benefits

I hope that this will help your English friend. I did a Google search to come up with those links, but for real time information he will need to the DWP.

Are the British Government,risking theft charges by directing a Mans Money to anyone with a hand out.Holland and Sweden regard this as Common Theft

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Seeing as ones splitting Hairs. We did not all marry Poor or Bargirls.

My wife is a highly educated teacher, that used her salary to pay back student loan and buy land, which is now rubber and fruit,veg, etc. She's more highly educated than me that left school at 16, she owns far more land than me - about 200 acres more I guess. But that would still not stop me provisioning for her and my family.

Without planning , life's a gamble, some win, some lose

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 9:44 PM, billd766 said:

AFAIR there used to be a death benefit o something like GBP 2,000 but for Thailand the benefit was stopped a few years ago.

You could be eligible if your partner either:

paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year
died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
When they died you must have been:

under State Pension age
living in the UK or a country that pays bereavement benefits.

If he has other pensions then he will need to talk with them to find out what is happening and how much each pension will be reduced by.

More information here. 

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment#:~:text=You must claim within 3,Payment%2C and Widowed Parent's Allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/where-you-can-claim-benefits

I hope that this will help your English friend. I did a Google search to come up with those links, but for real time information he will need to the DWP.

Surely if like expats in spain used to do, before information was shared, the wife could continue to claim/transfer after his demise all the time HMRC are not informed?

Fraud, sure, but as i understand the Gov (embassy) does not report information to HMRC.

Ethically, i'd say the UK Gov wouldn't miss the money, and the wife would be entitled to it, if she was not from Thailand (or similar countries), or a form of burial fund, so I would have no qualms with expat wives doing this and would feel its within their right.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:51 AM, pineapple01 said:

Are the British Government,risking theft charges by directing a Mans Money to anyone with a hand out.Holland and Sweden regard this as Common Theft

Common Theft from who though, if the wife were not Thai, but say French, she'd be entitled to it, its a harmless crime, and the sum individually or collectively is minute compared to wastage by the state, I can't see them extraditing a Thai from Thailand, for continuing to cash in a pension...

On 9/14/2020 at 2:48 PM, pineapple01 said:

Seeing as ones splitting Hairs. We did not all marry Poor or Bargirls. My Wife could leave me potless to the poverty levels of the most pleasant English one meets here everyday. So i get my reply. Young Brits steal off Old Brits,as any Nationality can now see

None as stupid , as old and stupid ..

However , that said , three score and ten , is long enough,  IMho 

Tings , dont work , like they used too ..

Edited by elliss
On 9/14/2020 at 12:51 AM, pineapple01 said:

This is not true. A friend passed this year. His thai wife is now getting 15000 thb a month from the uk. She has never set foot in the uk BUT they were married for 20 years. He was in his early 70's so married prior to gov changes that now excludes overseas wives getting a widows pension.  

9 hours ago, elliss said:

None as stupid , as old and stupid ..

However , that said , three score and ten , is long enough,  IMho 

Tings , dont work , like they used too ..

Really, who wants to live to 71, the guy who is 70

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Wazoo said:

This is not true. A friend passed this year. His thai wife is now getting 15000 thb a month from the uk. She has never set foot in the uk BUT they were married for 20 years. He was in his early 70's so married prior to gov changes that now excludes overseas wives getting a widows pension.  

With due respects i would like more proof of your post, as it would i'm sure effect many people living here in Thailand!

• Like 1
On 9/13/2020 at 8:55 PM, pineapple01 said:

My English Friend would like to know after 20 years living here and legaly married.On his demise here what if any burial funds can she expect. Seems right Con, all his pensions void im informed by his Wife Please comment

I think the burial funds stopped a while back.

As for pensions etc that depends on whether it's a state/government pension or a private pension plan each have their own rules after the death of the pension owner.

It also depends if you're living outside of the country where the pension exists.

Best idea is to contact the private pension company direct to see what happens upon death of the pension holder or contact the DWP in UK for answers to the state pension.

• Like 1