What do I need to know: Moving from Thailand to Vietnam?

Roberto Ayala

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I remember the thread about leaving Thailand for Vietnam about a year ago. That thread totally died when the whiners realized that they couldn't stay up to 1 year in Vietnam without leaving the country. If the maximum time now is 90 days as a tourist incl 2 extensions, why do people complain about the system in Thailand?

I reckon there's a good chance that these new rules, which have not yet been in force during normal tourism conditions, may be quietly dropped once they realize how much trouble their tourism industry is in.

As travel restrictions lift, all South East Asian countries are going to be competing for a far smaller pool of Western travelers. The hotels that managed to survive this forced downtime, far longer than anyone initially expected, will be horrified once they realize that tourists aren't just going to magically reappear in the same quantities once the doors re-open.

I would guess that, for at least a few years, Vietnam will return to the previous visa system. It is even possible that they will extend the terms of the US deal to other countries too. Would be terrific to see the UK strike such a deal now that their hands are free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Vietnam did some major Visa changes starting July 1 this year. As I understand it the 3 months extensions without leaving the country up to 1 year is gone. I think only US citizens still can do it because of a bilateral agreement. I don't know how the changes works in combination with the existing Covid-19 restrictions. 

Americans are able to get (currently useless!) one year multiple entry tourist visas due to a bilateral agreement, but that has nothing to do with the permitted length of stay. American holders of tourist visas are subject to the new 30-day stay rules just like everyone else; it's just easier for them to get back in after leaving (under normal, non-Covid circumstances), since they don't need a new visa each time.

5 hours ago, mike787 said:

Excellent decision... Vietnam is a far better choice.  People and food are amazing, and the dollar goes way further.  Plus, You WILL NOT die on their roads.  Godspeed. 

I suppose you are working for the Tourism Authority of Vietnam ? :whistling:

Not at all what people who moved there are reporting...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mike787 said:

Excellent decision...Vietnam is a far better choice.  People and food are amazing, and the dollar goes way further.  Plus, You WILL NOT die on their roads.  Godspeed. 

Roads in Vietnam were dangerous decades ago and are still dangerous today...

8b19b430f763147cd6df77568961a162.jpg

Anyone not satisfied with their lives in Thailand, should move to their promise land, I have lived in Thailand for 19 years . One of the best choices in my life, great country, great people, liberal laws and I am a guest in Thailand, understanding that I do as the immigration laws requires and abide by the laws of the country, I chose to be a guest in.

Wish those looking for their promise land good luck and godspeed in the fulfillment to their dreams.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mike787 said:

NOWHERE near as bad as Thai...look at the numbers

I did look at the numbers. Thailand IS worse than Vietnam in that regard, but both are well above the average (worldwide as well as within Southeast Asia).

Moving from Thailand to Vietnam in order to avoid becoming roadkill doesn't make any sense. A more sensible suggestion - for both countries - would be to avoid riding a motorcycle, as motorcyclists are most at risk in both countries (by quite a margin).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 4:23 PM, Poet said:

I reckon there's a good chance that these new rules, which have not yet been in force during normal tourism conditions, may be quietly dropped once they realize how much trouble their tourism industry is in.

As travel restrictions lift, all South East Asian countries are going to be competing for a far smaller pool of Western travelers. The hotels that managed to survive this forced downtime, far longer than anyone initially expected, will be horrified once they realize that tourists aren't just going to magically reappear in the same quantities once the doors re-open.

I would guess that, for at least a few years, Vietnam will return to the previous visa system. It is even possible that they will extend the terms of the US deal to other countries too. Would be terrific to see the UK strike such a deal now that their hands are free.

Excellent post... For a bedtime story 

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

I did look at the numbers. Thailand IS worse than Vietnam in that regard, but both are well above the average (worldwide as well as within Southeast Asia).

Moving from Thailand to Vietnam in order to avoid becoming roadkill doesn't make any sense. A more sensible suggestion - for both countries - would be to avoid riding a motorcycle, as motorcyclists are most at risk in both countries (by quite a margin).

Point is simple here: 1. Thailands roads are the deadliest world wide. 2. Vietnam is much safer, that is a BIG plus to all the other benefits for those choosing to live...regardless of how you and I feel about Thailand.  One cannot even cross a road here without risking death.  Vietnam is not a problem, bikes try not to hit you.  People wear helmets.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

Excellent post... For a bedtime story 

Jesus, I'd hate to be one of your kids if an analysis of the likely economic pressures on South East Asian countries during the time of Covid-19 is your idea of an excellent bedtime story.

On 9/15/2020 at 1:23 PM, Poet said:

I don't agree with you, because for the normal tourists this doesn't matter. There is only a small part which want to stay in a country longer than 4 weeks. Some even less than the allowed 4 weeks. Same as in Thailand. Even you read a lot about person who complain about it, this is a small percentage, and not is the normal tourist. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Poet said:

Jesus, I'd hate to be one of your kids if an analysis of the likely economic pressures on South East Asian countries during the time of Covid-19 is your idea of an excellent bedtime story.

Ermmm can't believe it needs explaining.. It's pure fiction 

It's not really a.. Oh never mind 

On 9/15/2020 at 8:41 PM, Caldera said:

Vietnamese roads are pretty deadly, too.

Oh, yes, they most certainly are. Bicycling in Thailand for over 20 years and no accident involving another vehicle. Just 2 years of the same in Vietnam and got rear-ended by a retard on a motorcycle. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2020 at 3:35 AM, thecyclist said:

Oh, yes, they most certainly are. Bicycling in Thailand for over 20 years and no accident involving another vehicle. Just 2 years of the same in Vietnam and got rear-ended by a retard on a motorcycle. 

I and many colleagues had the opposite....look at statistics.

7 hours ago, mike787 said:

I and many colleagues had the opposite....look at statistics.

There can be no doubt that both countries are very dangerous for 2-wheelers. Statistics vary, but it's somewhere around two fatalities per hour on average on Thai roads versus one in Vietnam. It is speed and the non-compliance with traffic laws that kill. Thais go faster, Vietnamese roads are more chaotic. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:06 AM, Roberto Ayala said:

Thank you guys, I actually contacted Hai Phong Tours https://haiphongtours.com and they are giving solution. Keep you all updated.

From the VN government (official) news portal: 

Under the current entry regulations, passengers on international commercial flights only include holders of diplomatic and official passports and their family members; experts, investors, business managers, high-tech workers and their family members; and Vietnamese wishing to return home.

Source: First inbound int’l commercial flight scheduled on Friday [Sept. 24]

Currently, there is no Tourist visa on arrival available. There will be visa agents who will offer Business visas, using "company" invitations. In 2019, many people got their faulty business visas cancelled on the spot. Many expat forum reports, including the aforementioned Eli the Bike Guy on YouTube, confirm visitors getting knocked back at the airport. Eli is pretty knowledgeable and says you're taking a big risk. You may get away with it for a while but could have your visa cancelled and you fined and deported. 

Good reference is the Vietnam Legal Group on FB. Copious info. 

All that said, VN is picking up the pace on opening up to commercial flights -- from nothing to very slight door ajar status. 

• Like 1