BANGKOK
Roberto Ayala

What do I need to know: Moving from Thailand to Vietnam?

On 9/15/2020 at 8:41 PM, Caldera said:

Vietnamese roads are pretty deadly, too.

Oh, yes, they most certainly are. Bicycling in Thailand for over 20 years and no accident involving another vehicle. Just 2 years of the same in Vietnam and got rear-ended by a retard on a motorcycle. 

On 9/14/2020 at 11:13 PM, scammed said:

thats the way to do it if you dont want retirees in the country 👍

Are you a retiree?

6 hours ago, Nout said:

Are you a retiree?

yes, medical retiree

16 minutes ago, Roberto Ayala said:

Thank you guys, I actually contacted Hai Phong Tours https://haiphongtours.com and they are giving solution. Keep you all updated.

How you getting in there now?

I doubt you will like Vietnam better than Thailand. High population, more pollution, worse beaches, worse food, worse roads! People are high strung.

I like Cambodia better.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:35 AM, thecyclist said:

Oh, yes, they most certainly are. Bicycling in Thailand for over 20 years and no accident involving another vehicle. Just 2 years of the same in Vietnam and got rear-ended by a retard on a motorcycle. 

I and many colleagues had the opposite....look at statistics.

7 hours ago, mike787 said:

I and many colleagues had the opposite....look at statistics.

There can be no doubt that both countries are very dangerous for 2-wheelers. Statistics vary, but it's somewhere around two fatalities per hour on average on Thai roads versus one in Vietnam. It is speed and the non-compliance with traffic laws that kill. Thais go faster, Vietnamese roads are more chaotic. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:06 AM, Roberto Ayala said:

Thank you guys, I actually contacted Hai Phong Tours https://haiphongtours.com and they are giving solution. Keep you all updated.

From the VN government (official) news portal: 

Under the current entry regulations, passengers on international commercial flights only include holders of diplomatic and official passports and their family members; experts, investors, business managers, high-tech workers and their family members; and Vietnamese wishing to return home.

Source: First inbound int’l commercial flight scheduled on Friday [Sept. 24]

Currently, there is no Tourist visa on arrival available. There will be visa agents who will offer Business visas, using "company" invitations. In 2019, many people got their faulty business visas cancelled on the spot. Many expat forum reports, including the aforementioned Eli the Bike Guy on YouTube, confirm visitors getting knocked back at the airport. Eli is pretty knowledgeable and says you're taking a big risk. You may get away with it for a while but could have your visa cancelled and you fined and deported. 

Good reference is the Vietnam Legal Group on FB. Copious info. 

All that said, VN is picking up the pace on opening up to commercial flights -- from nothing to very slight door ajar status.