Tourism Minister pins hopes on events to boost Phuket economy

webfact

Tourism Minister pins hopes on events to boost Phuket economy

By The Phuket News

1599997154_1-org.jpg

Tourism Minister Phiphat speaks to the press in Phuket Town last night (Sept 11). Photo: MoTS

PHUKET: Minister for Tourism and Sports Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn has said that he hopes more events will be held in Phuket in order to boost the number of visitors coming to Phuket, and generate more income for residents and businesses on the island.

Mr Phiphat attended several events in Phuket yesterday, including the official opening of the ‘We Run Phuket’ fun run held at Patong Beach.

“At this stage, some businesses are still closed, and people do not have income, so I hope sport events can be a part to stimulate tourism and the economy and make income for local people,” Mr Phiphat said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourism-minister-pins-hopes-on-events-to-boost-phuket-economy-77300.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-09-14

8 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Someone high up must have big investments in Phuket, everyday they are bleating about how the CV-19 has affected the island but Phuket is no different to any other district where tourism plays a large part of the economy .........!!!

I agree but only if you put the word International in front of the word Tourism.

Th tourism reliant provinces closer to Bangkok are doing much better than Phuket, Samui, Phi Phi etc because thy get reasonable domestic tourism numbers at weekends and public holidays.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

2 years ago: 800 baht for a Taxi from Phuket Airport to Patong - is that still the same?

It takes about an hour - I’m not sure thats such a rip off. 

Previously I got fed up of the haggling and attempted rip off and just hired a car for 1000 baht !!! 

Same in Krabi, got sick of haggling with taxis trying to charge extorted prices, it was only marginally more expensive to hire a car !

We booked in advance to get cheapest prices we could find.

Airport to Kata Beach  570bht

Kata Beach to Tri trang beach  400bht

Tri Tranng to airport  570bht

Equivalent fares in a metered taxi in Bangkok would be approx

so yeah still overpriced.