Nigerians arrested in Patong for romance scam, overstay

webfact

42 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You do know that the borders are closed. right? or is that something Mr. tonray have missed? ????

These are criminals....every week...Thai authorities are catching both foreigners and Thais coming across "closed" borders...estimate that catch less than 50% of those actually trying to sneak in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

we have a visa amnesty prog so they musta overstayed a long long time,pre covid.its a good idea scammers are held accountable .all of them,what of the thai women indulging in lies and fabrications to extort money from foreigners on the net,lets hope the patong police parade a few of them in the coming weeks.

For Thai, female scammers, the parade would be a lengthy one. If there were a parade of scammers and extortionist in general, it would be many days in duration as they passed in review.

7 hours ago, nausea said:

They should forego the criminal life and give online classes, I'm sure they have a lot to teach. All of my romances have been disasters, financially. Ha!

Have you therefore thought of changing your name from Nausea to Ad Nauseam ? ????

7 hours ago, OnTheRun said:

It's not really a case of throwing them all into the same pot. 100% of stories regarding this nationality in Thailand involve scams of some sort or another, they are also renowned worldwide for it. Unless of course you'd like to give me some different examples.

It is a matter of throwing them all into the same pot! Just because 100% of stories in Thailand regarding this nationality involve scams does NOT mean that 100% of the Nigerians in Thailand are criminals involved in scams. It’s like going into an Irish pub on a Saturday night and then concluding that all Irish are alcoholics because 100% of the Irish in there are drunk or going to certain stretches on Mallorca and then concluding that all the English are pigs based on the actions of the English vacationers over there. I mean their reputation is so notorious that they actually get their own stretches along the beach because all they do is get drunk and cause mayhem. See where I’m going with this? 

I’m not denying that Nigerians have the reputation they have, but you can’t be like, well, we’re banning all of them from coming into the country! 

Edited by pacovl46

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Tell us about some good ones! ????

I used to work with quite a few of them over the decade. None of them involved in any scams! 

It’s like going into an Irish pub on a Saturday night and then concluding that all Irish are alcoholics because 100% of the Irish in there are drunk or going to certain stretches on Mallorca and then concluding that all the English are pigs based on the actions of the English vacationers over there. I mean their reputation is so notorious that they actually get their own stretches along the beach because all they do is get drunk and cause mayhem. See where I’m going with this? 

I’m not denying that Nigerians have the reputation they have, but you can’t be like, well, we’re banning all of them from coming into the country! 

6 hours ago, Enzian said:

Brings to mind the old racist cartoons of Africans throwing missionaries into a giant pot, still funny in a way. But unfortunately they've largely brought it on themselves. There's an African man sometimes stands on the odd street side of Sukhumvit (like one of the hookers, but 4 times as large and not as cute) and often speaks to me as I walk past, trying to start a conversation. I'm tempted to talk to him for a minute to see what his scam or illegal trade is, but then the police might assume I was doing real business with him. I'm making assumptions about him and others of his like I see, but I don't feel guilty about it.

That‘s  like going into an Irish pub on a Saturday night and then concluding that all Irish are alcoholics because 100% of the Irish in there are drunk or going to certain stretches on Mallorca and then concluding that all the English are pigs based on the actions of the English vacationers over there. I mean their reputation is so notorious that they actually get their own stretches along the beach because all they do is get drunk and cause mayhem. See where I’m going with this? 

Probably Thai women are still naive and fall for those scams, but it's the same with men.

If sending money is mentioned, the alarm bell should ring immediately. No matter how the person looks, stop.

Once i was in "contact" with Russian lady, but needed money for visa. So told her take a loan and when she was here, i will return.

Never heard again of her.  

However there are people believing and naive and pay, as i saw on docu, a Belgian guy being ripped from thousands of money.

I couldnt help lol. 

Also not so nice story about a guy lured to Nigeria  to meet a woman. He was awaited on airport by Nigerian men, kidnapped.

They tried to force money from family for his release. He was found dead with all his bones broken and set on fire.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Riiiiight, let’s throw them all into the same pot. Sounds extremely fair to me! 

Only time I come across Nigerians is when scam stories surface, and the frequency of these stories tend to stereotype them. 
Where does one encounter Nigerians in general life outside of Nigeria?