Tourists coming to Thailand - they must have enough funds to support themselves, says business leader

webfact

3 hours ago, Reigntax said:

With the number of buffalos i have fixed and cared for they should be opening their arms and be welcoming me. Im sure others are the same.

I have raised from the dead many times the same old buffalo! Just a bit of cash to them and wow! ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I don't want (or need) insurance.

No need for a hospital to spend any money on me, I'm OK with death.

I watched my mother die this year. It was a horrifying experience for her. She was not overly attached to life but would have enjoyed another year or two.

I probably have roughly the same outlook as you on insurance, I don't feel I need it. I do recognize, though, that the state in which I choose to live may need me to have it.

We may regard death stoicly but who knows what state our minds will be in towards the end, how diminished we might be. The problem is that, as soon as someone changes his mind and pleads to live, society is more-or-less obliged to help us.

I accept that is unfair for the country to get stuck with that cost, so, on the whole I would rather buy insurance every year that covers any and all needs, than have to keep 800K in a bank, notionally to be dipped into once I become terminally ill, and which may not even cover all my costs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VBF said:

Hang on a minute......

The guy's dead, cremate him with a "basic" funeral!

Why keep a body lying around if nobody claims it?  I know that when I die I shan't give a stuff what happens to my body. It's like throwing away a used tissue (best burnt for hygiene) 

No one can take the body to a temple and cremate it without the right Thai paperwork filed with the right Thai authorities. At some point, soon I hope, the relative or the embassy will put in motion the means to resolve this, but it's not going to be simple. I don't think this will end up being left to the hospital, but we'll see. And of course the hospital will want their money before letting it go, it's like they're holding it for ransom, but I'm not saying anything to disparage them.

1 minute ago, miamiman123 said:

I think quite a few foreigners especially tourists have been a financial burden to Thailand. No doubt is true. 

Question: Is it just Thailand that suffers from this, or do other countries also have the odd "problem visitor"?

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Disagree, all economic data points in the exact opposite direction.

You cannot judge the situation on a single failed broke begpacker or a broke retiree that can't pay his hospital bills - you HAVE to look at the net off all tourists coming here and on AVERAGE spend way more money then they cost thailand.

Tourism is 20% of the GDP for a reason, and that's the only thing that matters here. One guy not paying his hospital bill is so absolutely irrelevant for the economy as he will ALWAYS be outnumbers by 10 guys paying their hospital bills. 

There's always bad apples, no matter where people come from and they will always be outnumbered by paying guests.

The damage to the economy is so absolutely minimal that a bunch of non-paying guests can cause and absolutely outnumbered by the benefits the rest of tourists are bringing.

This is just the usual thai blame game...  

Now that would require some logic and common sense, none of which the Thais in power possess.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Too many Thai bum kissers posting IMHO.

If Thai Airways isn't paying the 200 Billion bht it owes to foreigners, why are you so eager to suggest so many ways for the Thai authorities to extort foreigners visiting the country? If the Thai government won't pay it's debts, why should we?

I only just saw your edit of your post.

Definitely the first time I've been described as a Thai bum kisser.

I am not suggesting that we pay any debts that are not ours. I am accepting that requiring us to arrange our own insurance would be a fairly reasonable requirement if we accept that, as we age, we all require more medical assistance of various kinds. I would prefer that to having to buy a policy from a specific Thai company, or the current arrangement of keeping 800k uselessly sitting in a Thai bank.

Thai Airways debts have nothing to do with me and my personal responsibility to cover my own costs.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Again, I am not saying that the net result is s loss. But there are individuals who cause a loss and there is no reason why Thailand should not put in place measures to reduce that from happening especially when thinking of issuing long stay tourist visas.

Thailand is not the only country where this is an issue/concern. There are other countries which require proof of insurance to get a tourist visa and some also  look at your overall financial resources before issuing one.

So does thailand??

You need health insurance and like 8k euro in a bank account for a METV in germany, bit less for SETV. 

To Poet, post #100: But here's this: not hard for me to keep the 800K on ice in a Thai bank, but as an 80 yr old, even with no pre-existing conditions to speak of in my case, what would I have to pay for an insurance policy that would satisfy this government? I have assets, my son is on top of things from the US daily, I can self-insure. That's my preference at this point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’d be curious to know exactly how much the hospital bills have been for the Thais that have been hospitalized here for coronavirus, and if it even comes close to the US$100,000 coverage that they require foreigners to carry.

The ฿400,000-800,000 insurance requirement to extend my “retirement visa” now basically jumps to a ฿5,000,000 policy requirement (The ฿3,000,000 pacific prime policy won’t be sufficient according to my insurance agent) if I, as a retiree, ever want to leave and then reenter Thailand for any reason.

My hospital bill for COVID treatment was 600,000 Baht 

Why do you hate us so much? The vast majority of Thais like or love us That's Why we Are Here.These rules are for who?Do you really think Tourist are going to put 800,000 in the bank here for the time they are here.The virus is making people lose their jobs and yet you seem to think everybody has plenty of money to come and visit Thailand with these crazy rules.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Again, I am not saying that the net result is s loss. But there are individuals who cause a loss and there is no reason why Thailand should not put in place measures to reduce that from happening especially when thinking of issuing long stay tourist visas.

Thailand is not the only country where this is an issue/concern. There are other countries which require proof of insurance to get a tourist visa and some also  look at your overall financial resources before issuing one.

Agreed Sheryl, but maybe those other countries that require resource checks for tourist visas aren't as dependent on the tourist Dollar as Thailand is...

Edited by zyphodb
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Poet said:

Would you mind me asking, how old was this guy?

I would imagine that most of those who die in hospital would be here on retirement, so, there is notionally 800,000 to be recovered right there, and possibly a house or condo too.

If it is the case that some of these deaths are young folks, possibly here on a work visa, education visa, or perhaps even tourists, well, okay, I'll reluctantly admit that there is some argument for insisting that everyone be insured. Before they put an additional burning tire on the neck of their tourist industry, however, they should be absolutely certain that this genuinely is a problem big enough to be worth crippling that income.

In fact, I would argue that, at the same time as introducing an insurance requirement, they should balance it out by getting rid of all short-term visas (tourism, education, volunteer, medical etc) and simply have an up to one year visa waiver for all countries eligible for the current visa waiver. You present your insurance cert, from any credible insurance company, and the IO stamps you in until the final date of your coverage. In a sense, your insurance becomes your visa.

I don't think immigration would be happy with that, what in it for them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When a country is rich enough that the authorities have some capacity to do stuff.

But the people in charge were educated 40 years ago when it was a poor country and schools were no more than day care centres where kids learned next to nothing.

You get a situation of incompetent government with the capacity to do incompetent things.

This is Thailand.

It should be somewhat better when today's Youth take over government eventually..  unless the generals ruin the country first.

Edited by Ketyo
  • Like 1