Tourists coming to Thailand - they must have enough funds to support themselves, says business leader

webfact

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

If I owned an extremely profitable restaurant, I wouldn't make the terms of entry so onerous that everyone stopped coming simply because 1 in 10,000 customers didn't pay their bill.

I'd write if off as a cost of doing business and continue reaping the vast profits.

There is a tiny problem. Hospital bills are normally much higher than a restaurant bill. Anyway - hospitals should refuse treatments if the payment cannot be guaranteed what they do in the meantime often anyway. 

10 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’d be curious to know exactly how much the hospital bills have been for the Thais that have been hospitalized here for coronavirus, and if it even comes close to the US$100,000 coverage that they require foreigners to carry.

The ฿400,000-800,000 insurance requirement to extend my “retirement visa” now basically jumps to a ฿5,000,000 policy requirement (The ฿3,000,000 pacific prime policy won’t be sufficient according to my insurance agent) if I, as a retiree, ever want to leave and then reenter Thailand for any reason.

That isnt an 'insurance requirement' 

Edited by blackcab
Bold font removed. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording

Just now, Airalee said:

That really doesn’t say much.  30 pills of what?  Drips of what?  How many days were you in the hospital and what type of room?  The only thing I can ascertain from this is that you picked the most expensive hospital chain in Thailand (other than maybe Bumrungrad).  

How old are you,  what is your BMI?  Pre-existing conditions?

I had shoulder surgery with an overnight in the hospital (Rajavej Chiang Mai) and that bill came to ฿109,000

Just like I said before.  Nothing but a money grab...worldwide.

really ? my experience of Thai hospitals is that it has never been worth the insurance excess to claim the costs back and when my ex was forced to stay longer in Ramkhanhung it was relatively cheap and she received excellent care, maybe the costs rise relative to the insurance policy ???

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

really ? my experience of Thai hospitals is that it has never been worth the insurance excess to claim the costs back and when my ex was forced to stay longer in Ramkhanhung it was relatively cheap and she received excellent care, maybe the costs rise relative to the insurance policy ???

Really what?  

I’m a cash pay patient and the bill was ฿109k.  Even when I finally sign up for one of their ridiculous insurance policies here, I will still be a cash pay patient and only use insurance if something truly catastrophic (and expensive) happens. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

And that tourists who get the much vaunted Special Tourist Visa (for stays of up to 270 days) must follow all the rules and quarantine for 14 days. 

Why not say it frankly: we don't want to have neither Tourists nor any Western farangs. ????

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Why not say it frankly: we don't want to have neither Tourists nor any Western farangs. ????

Seems that way. I am not a conspiracy theory nutcase but I read a post last week about plans to make Thailand/ Pattaya into a Thai/Chinese playground. They do seem to be jumping on any opportunity to turn tourists off so it does make you wonder because Thai people cannot be that stupid to make statements in the press such as this, and not realise what it does to their already decimated tourist industry.

• Like 2

The indigenous, self gratifying Hi-So, talking-heads spout off in an attempt to stay relevant, oblivious that their rhetoric is damaging an already pathetic and chaotic situation. The best thing that they could contribute is silence and lending a hand to help those in need. Small chance of that happening.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

So they're going to force tourists to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and stipulate it must remain untouched and nothing withdrawn during their stay in Thailand?   

i do not think you can open a Thai bank account on a tourist visa ?

13 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

I wonder if the Thai gov ever looked in the mirror and asked are there more foreigners taking care of Thais/Thai families or more Thais taking care of foreigners?

And they made the choice to do that.  Yet, continually seem to try to use it as a tool like they deserve something in return.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

No one can take the body to a temple and cremate it without the right Thai paperwork filed with the right Thai authorities. At some point, soon I hope, the relative or the embassy will put in motion the means to resolve this, but it's not going to be simple. I don't think this will end up being left to the hospital, but we'll see. And of course the hospital will want their money before letting it go, it's like they're holding it for ransom, but I'm not saying anything to disparage them.

OK - I don't know Thai law - in this instance, i don't know what would happen in my own country (UK) either except that this points to the answer: 

https://www.yourfuneralchoice.com/what-happens-someone-dies-family/

But I would think that there is a time limit in which to claim a body - after that, the State could step in and perform a "Pauper's Funeral" (see link)

In that instance the hospital would have no say - in UK, even if a private hospital,  they would be TOLD to release the body, but I don't know about Thailand.

As for their money...tough!  But that takes us back to the situation where most Thai hospitals want evidence of funds before offering treatment.