Tourists coming to Thailand - they must have enough funds to support themselves, says business leader

webfact

5 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’d be curious to know exactly how much the hospital bills have been for the Thais that have been hospitalized here for coronavirus, and if it even comes close to the US$100,000 coverage that they require foreigners to carry.

The ฿400,000-800,000 insurance requirement to extend my “retirement visa” now basically jumps to a ฿5,000,000 policy requirement (The ฿3,000,000 pacific prime policy won’t be sufficient according to my insurance agent) if I, as a retiree, ever want to leave and then reenter Thailand for any reason.

They get treated free.

In a private hospital the bills can be sent to the government. 

I thought there was a requirement that if asked you should be able to show Thb / 10,000/ person or Thb 20,000 / family in cash ( or equivalent) if asked.

Do I remember that issue or am I just having a senior moment ?

BTW I know the sums are probably not enough to holiday on for probably more than 4/5 days even if you’re careful.

2 hours ago, Poet said:

This demonstrates the flaw in the 800K scheme, which is supposedly meant for precisely this eventuality.

Replace it with comprehensive insurance and trust that your farang retirees will probably end up spending the remainder of their 800K in Thailand anyway.

That would be nice in theory. However, some of us the insurance companies won't insure , too old and/or with pre-existing conditions.

Certainly, I anticipate living the rest of my life here. I'd be slashing my wrists if i was in Melbourne.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't imagine any tourists coming to Thailand under the current entry conditions.

Despite all the talk, I guess they don't really want foreign tourists any more.

Appears that they are more than happy to subsidise their own people to the tune of 40% on accommodation and travel. 

They are doing just fine...????

Does anybody really listen to the "Circus" anymore? 

these socially removed wealthy Govt personnel & their mouthpieces

confound every possible kind of reason or Logic...for governance

Get real & know when to get off the COVID roundabout of nonsense...before it becomes too late

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

I thought there was a requirement that if asked you should be able to show Thb / 10,000/ person or Thb 20,000 / family in cash ( or equivalent) if asked.

Do I remember that issue or am I just having a senior moment ?

BTW I know the sums are probably not enough to holiday on for probably more than 4/5 days even if you’re careful.

Yes but, what they would like is due to far fewer numbers coming  they want the few to cover the missing millions, give them credit they do try.

Seems reasonable - I never go anywhere without travel/health insurance for my *own* benefit – especially in Thailand and driving on Thai roads. Insurance for most tourists is cheap as chips for a few weeks of cover. Even a longer annual policy is not that expensive in the UK and provides millions of £ of cover. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poet said:

I would imagine that most of those who die in hospital would be here on retirement, so, there is notionally 800,000 to be recovered right there, and possibly a house or condo too. //

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

Many old retired expats can't get a health insurance. So better to increase for uninsured people the 800.000 Baht deposit amount. //

When will some TV members stop to talk about these 800'000B as if it was a mandatory deposit?

It's only one of methods to get a yearly extension. I would bet most retires don't use this method; they prefer to keep their money in their home country.

I am very unsure that the Immigration Officer at the entrance can know which method you used, so it must not be possible to take this in account as "support" while in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately yes, many cases of foreigners becoming a burden in Thailand, especially (but not only) as regards hospital bills

No, the details have not been released and probably not yet even worked out.

If history is any guide they will be very convoluted, poorly explained, subject to varying interpretations and very hard to implement.  A similar scheme to allow medical tourism to resume that was supposed to be in effect in July is still largely dysfunctional.

Why does Thailand not make medical insurance (travel insurance) for duration of stay compulsory? Thais have to show insurance when applying for a Schengen visa. 

Longer this goes on, more a country naturally adapt to it. Even though tourism is currently around 16% of GDP (before covid19), Thailand has far more important industries that play significant part of economy. Businesses and their employees that relies on tourism take a hit, but others that don't rely on tourism are surviving and will adapt to new environment. After this pandemic, most of business models will change. Less businesses will be relying solely on tourism. Small businesses that can't adapt will just disappear, something new will take over. Tourists aren't the holy grail for solving the problems. Seek good in bad. I think this is a great opportunity to "fix" the businesses that rely too much on tourism. Don't put all eggs in one basket. Of course, some people will suffer in the process.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Really what?  

I’m a cash pay patient and the bill was ฿109k.  Even when I finally sign up for one of their ridiculous insurance policies here, I will still be a cash pay patient and only use insurance if something truly catastrophic (and expensive) happens. 

You are very lucky to have had such a low bill. Unusual.

Even in govt hospitals bills can reach a million baht if ICU care, specialized surgery etc required.

6 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Ridiculous...

Farangs are a burden to Thailand now. Does he forget the 50 years of mass money they bring in ?

Seriously this country become officially xenophobic.

Good luck with tourism.

I'd go further and suggest the biggest burden to Thailand is the extreme levels of corruption from all sectors of Thai officialdom. 

• Like 2

Thais in general including business "leaders" and government officials don't seem to understand that Thai tourism is on life-support and the prognosis for recovery is grim.

And yet, most think that by placing additional restrictions on the patient's treatment that somehow they will miraculously spring back to life and get back to normal. 

There are a load of really daft Thais so filled with their own self-importance that they are completely unable to read the writing on the wall.  So be it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

A new rule, yes you can! But only Americans must have it in cash in their wallets.Also does these rules apply to Chinese? Or are they let off once again?

Unless you have some updated link, your comment is totally false "a new rule". 

A new rule where and by who?

Edited by bkk6060