Key card system for gated communities

Inderpland

The "moo baan" I live in has started looking at maybe installing a key card system for the main gate in addition to having the security guy there and as there are lots of gated communities in and around Pattaya I will try to post my question here.

Please let me know your experiences if you live in a place that has installed this access system. Is it worth the investment?

My village has installed an electric gate only motorbikes can access without a remote. The refuse collection & water man has a remote everyone else has to call who they are visiting. Security a waste of time sleep through the night we found it very inaffective. So opted for the gate option and it works well

• Like 2

Most moo-bans (in BKK anyway) built in the last 10 years have an electric gate system with a guardhouse. 

The Gate either auto-opens as you approach, or you have to open a window and ‘wave’ your card at the sensor. 

When on my motorcycle and exiting or entering I give the throttle a little blip as I approach and the security open the gate themselves before I’m decapitated !!! 

The system adds an extra measure of security in that people have to leave their details when entering. 

The quality of security is solely dependant on the guards opening the barrier. Its a deterrent, the guards also patrol the moo-ban. 

• Like 1

Having an electronic key card probably saves a lot of altercation by the deaebeat members who didn't pay their fees yet drives around in mercedes barking at the security guards to open the gate for them, the guards has an excuse of 'machine cannot' 

• Like 1

My moobaan has been looking at this but the committee aren't keen as it would be quite expensive given our limited budget. I tried explaining the system used in the last condo I lived in, JCC in Jomtien, before moving into the house here. They installed a brand-new key card system but you had to pay 1,000 Baht deposit to get the card, so in effect the system almost financed itself. All movements in and out were recorded on a computer, and if you lost your key card you had to make a report to the police before you would be issued with another one (for which, of course, you had to pay another 1,000 Baht). I think it would be effective for controlling vehicles but as I understand the proposal here it wouldn't affect pedestrians who could come and go as they pleased. We haven't had a burglary in almost a decade so people rightly ask why exactly we want improved security, the sleeping night guard seems to be quiet effective, lol. The truth is, though, that it's probably the half-dozen motorbike taxi drivers who pay us a small sum to operate at the entrance to the village who are the "real" security. I'm keen on it to keep outsiders from waltzing in and using the village swimming pool, but then we'd need an extra door installed by the pool and that would cost more. Other people don't seem to think that many outsiders do this and so it's not a problem. To be honest, in our situation I think it's a nice-to-have, and is hard to justify when there are other improvements that we can spend the money on. If we had a genuine security issue I think we'd install it pronto, but as life is peaceful the committee don't see it as necessary right now. That's not much help to the OP, I know, but these decisions can sometimes be black and white (am I allowed to say that in these Woke times, lol?) yet often are just shades of grey.

We have an electric gate which you need a remote clicker for ,its much better than the security we used to have ,they were a waste of money . on garbage days the gate is left open until they have been ,anyone else has to contact a housholder to get in ,unless walking or on a motorbike.

I think a lot depends on the management fee's you pay per year, we have a condo and we have security that are alive and kicking once they let you in we need a key card to get everywhere the reception is as far any guest can go, the first security door you need the key card thats just to get into the complex then you have the lifts and to the pool and the same key card is for your apartment a replacement card is 350 Baht on top of that we have cameras everywhere.

Stops people wondering in to use the pools we have 2 and fully equipped gym.

One day I was on my way out and there was a guy standing the other side of the security door with his luggage I didnt let him in get your friend to come down for you,